SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erict_gw

Everybody PARTY (a.k.a. I am insane)

erict
15 years ago

Before I become a blathering idiot - a bit of background. I love trying new things. Too many new things. I want more of them if I like it, so like the protagonist of The After-Dinner Gardening Book, I save the seeds. Cherimoya. Sapodilla. Rambutan. Lychee! White Sapote. Avocado. Lemon. Kumquat. And now even Mangosteen!

I was foolish, and believed pure peat moss would me grrrrrRRREAT for seeds. Nope. The rambutans were almost disintegrated. The kumquat seeds died so fast that they became the peat moss, or at least indistinguishable from it. Even worse, peat moss is TERRIBLE for drainage. Tapla would kill me :-(

To make matter even worse, I had the bright I idea to use the same style pots for absolutely everything....and then NOT LABEL THEM. So three weeks later, with latex gloves, I fished out all the surviving seeds. Whew close one. Especially with the GARDEN SLUG that came with a sealed bag of peat moss. And a tuberous rhizomatic fungal mass I didn't even want to touch, let alone find out what the hell is really was. I have learned my lesson the messy, and the possibly health-endangering fungal way. Drainage is king.

But that left me with good news. My white sapotes are germinating. ALL TEN OF THEM OH MY GOD GEPOGJ(DS!!!$#$@

I'm gonna have an urban forest - call me daddy.

Oh, and out of my nine (yes, 9) Avocado pits, six or so are starting to develop hairline fractures across their paper-thin grayish sheaths. How long until they finally burst?? The suspense is killing me!!

Comments (3)