SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_ruth_gw

tea party time, by judith (virtual tea party)

mary_ruth
16 years ago

I had posted on her other thread that Judith's computer broke down, crashed! She is confident she will have it up and running ASAP! But that meant no posting this weekend!

She is so looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures!

here I quote from her previous thread: "Yes, I will post a new Topic for April 5th, something like Tea Party Time, April 5th, please post your creations here. I am looking forward to seeing everyones parties."

What to post:

Your tea party photo for a group or ONE (just for you!).

When:

TODAY, April 5th until next Saturday, April 12th at midnight.

Where:

HERE in this thread!

*This IS the Virtual Tea Party that Judith referred to on this tread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/christmas/msg0316445725253.html?57

Comments (94)

• mary_ruth
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Where do we go from here? Now that we are addicted to tea parties? ha ha

• dining_delight
    16 years ago

I have been away for a bit visiting my DD again as she needed a bit of motherly love during a trying time of late but I wanted to thank you all for your comments on my Tea Party setting. You have been very sweet and this WAS a fun idea to carry out. I like your suggestion, Karen of having a "project of the month" to carry us through the non-holiday months.

Judith, I also wanted to tell you how breath-taking your tea party photo is, just exquisite with the dishes, the lighting, the photography and the IDEA to have an "engagement" tea party - your DD WILL be very lucky one day to have you design such an event! Even without the tea, food and napkins you had wanted to add, I can picture sitting down to celebrate a very special occasion. I know we weren't posting to win anything but if we were, I think YOU should be awarded "First Prize" for not only creating the stunning tea party setting but for doing so despite your computer problems and health issues. Way to go!

Juicyfruitkid, you sound like you have a lot of stressful things going on right now and my thoughts are with you. I'm sure we all agree, if you still want to post a tea party once everything settles down, you are welcome to...and that goes for Bebe and Lynne and anyone else who is busy with "life" at the moment.

DD

• Related Discussions

Spring Tea Party *Pics*

Q

Comments (17)
    Thank you all so much for the kind words. You gave me a much-needed boost today. I do enjoy having tea, and often treat myself and use the "good" cups and such. Sometimes I think food and drink really does taste better in pretty dishes. I might as well use them, they will probably wind up in an estate or garage sale some day! Kathleen, yes I remember the spit test for linens. I've never done it -- I can just think about spitting on my finger and sense my mother's disapproval. I can not imagine running that spitty finger over something. No doubt she would still find a way to punish me. lol
    ...See More

can't do the tea party

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi everyone, I came home tonight - it is so exhausting in the hospital. My hubby is doing better, out of ICU and all the hardware removed. What is so amazing is his scar down his chest looks like a scratch. The stitches are on the inside and they closed the skin with glue!! They no longer cut all the way down your arm or leg for a vein, they only cut about 2 inches and use the laproscope to retrieve the vein!! As you can see, I have not been up to date on the happenings in the medical field. The nurses are so nice - but then they have a very nice patient. Don't know when he will be home, a small problem with the lungs. Thank goodness my kids are within 12 miles of home and they have been great. Thanks for all your prayers. Will update later. B
    ...See More

Baby Shower/Tea Party/Family Get together Report

Q

Comments (5)
    Happy the event went off so well. I'm going to keep your menu in mind for when I have to host a similar gathering. It's often hard to put together easy to serve foods that are complementary.
    ...See More

Tea Party Ideas

Q

Comments (17)
    I'm sorry I didn't get right back here. I was drug from my bedrest into hosting four guests for a couple of days. They've just left and I need a nap LOL Pesky the garden art is FABBBBBB I may just have to ask...oh heck I will, please tell us how you did it? Glue? What? I need need need to scatter those in the yard next year. They're perfect for this big old box....it needs humor! We're going to do another tea party for younger gals that's entirely silly with hats etc as a fund raiser as well. This one we'll keep old fashioned elegant. Pesky if you want to ditch anything in your stash I am sure I will put it to good use! I'll pay shipping of course and anything else ya want if it makes sense :) Thats so sweet of you. I'm lucky I have several months to plan. I will start hitting all of the thrifts in the area for tea cups (Mom we're talking pre 70's LOL) and other tea goodies. Our local habitat for humanity always has a lot of that stuff donated. I scanned ebay but their prices seemed a bit silly. You know, the one thing I need is one of those silly stacked plate things for goodies...but I can't remember the freaking name!!! Help?????? LOL My brain is a bit high on hormones and the basic words just aren't flowing.... KD If I won the many millions referenced in another thread I'd purchase two of those sofa's and have them set up in the parlor when DH came home one day....just to see him literally explode with horror heh heh LOL I'm giggling right now thinking of it....I need a lottery ticket
    ...See More
  • judithva
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, I'll bet you thought I fell off the earth. Sorry it has been so long since I posted, health wise it has be a very rough 3 weeks. I am feeling much better today (crossing fingers hoping it stays this way for awhile.)

First and foremost, I want to thank Mary Ruth for taking over my responsibilities, she was great to do this for me and everyone else.

And WOW, everyone did sooooooooo great. I am so happy and pleased that everyone participated with such spirit and enthusium (not to mention TALENT). There are a bunch of you that probably surprised yourselves, as you can see, it just takes the effort to try, using the things you have in your home or even picking up the few accessories that you needed to complete your design. I hope this little "party" has brought out the decorator "dish addict in you" and I mean it in a good way LOL

now to answer a few questions:
    Paintingfool/Bebe, the little candle lamps are from Marshalls quite a few months ago, I love candle light and I look for anything that can fulfill that look. The lady figureines are $7 markdowns from Marshalls.
    I am glad to hear your hubby is doing well, I have known a few people who have had basically the same thing, and they ALL say afterwards that they feel so great, like they are 10-15 yrs younger in strength and stamina!

juicyfruitkid, I hope everything goes well with your family, you have been thru a stressful time! And please feel free to add a tea tablesetting here when ever things are eased up for you!

Luvs, those chargers you mention of mine are simple flat cake plates I purchased from the Mikasa Outlet (now closed, my world just about ended LOL) I always look to use things for a different use. Cake plates (larger ones really do make wonderful chargers.) You can find them often at Walmarts and Targets near holidays, and I have seen them at Marshalls, TJMax Ross dress for less, Homegoods etc.

Jim, now see that was not so hard to do was it? Now we all will expect to see more from you since we know now you can do it! (The kitties were so nice to be cooperative for you)(smile)

For those that did not participate this time I hope, I not only speak for me, but everyone else on this forum that "you" join in with us next time, the more the merrier and we all learn from each other, as I continue to do thru all of you.

Thank you again for everyones beautiful creations of
    eye-candy, I sure enjoyed it!

Soooo what is next?

PPS...my lap top is still not right, I have to hunt down my original Dell disks to get it fixed properly...which of course I can't find right now...Sighhhhhh

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Good to hear from you again Judith. Sorry you've had such a rough three weeks, I know these treatments must be so difficult for you, but I'm so pleased that you seem to be keeping your spirits up.

I know you must have been proud to see all the pretty tea settings these gals/guy put together. They all have such pretty dishes, don't they? It was really fun to see what everyone came up with.

So what's next? I guess it would be Mother's Day next month, right?

Luvs

• judithva
    16 years ago

Luvs, I totally agree, everyone did wonderful. And it is always fun for me to see different dishes, and even seeing dishes I have but showen in their own creative style, just love it!

Wow, Moms day right around the corner, you are right, perhaps a dining set up for Moms Day...large or small.

• dining_delight
    16 years ago

Judith, so glad to see you posting again. I feel for you and your health issues, hope you have a stretch of good days now. Yes, it was fun to do the Tea Party and see everyone's ideas/set-ups for it. A Mother's Day event sounds like another great idea...

dd

• jaybird
    16 years ago

RE: Judith's drop dead gorgeous white table......

Here is a link that might be useful: check these out

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Judith, I am glad you are feeling better, and that you will be pain free soon. And totally well!

I am sorry I didn't get to the tea, My sis was here from TX and I am having some med probs too. I did a quickie one, but I didn't like it so didn't post.

I did read and oh and ah..they were all so pretty, Kareen's in the woods, Luvs, Karen, Tam, Mary and her lovely poem, DD's by the fire, Jim's and of course yours was fit for the POPE!...Everyone had something special..and I enjoyed watching..
    Just so I can' be a contributor, here is mine I did for St. Pat's Day..just a simple one..

Lovely party, everyone!

• mary_ruth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kathleen! Oh what a pretty table! I just love it! That tea pot is so nice! I am so glad you got to post a picture for us to see!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Thank you, Mary Ruth, I really felt bad about not being able to get one I liked together for the party. But things happen, as you know!
    I am sure we will have another type of party soon...

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Gosh Kathleen, are there dishes on your table???? I can't see anything except that YUMMY looking food! LOL

Just teasing you, your tea table is great. I love those green plates with the gold, they are very elegant looking. Cute teapot too, and I love the shamrock cup.

Glad you got to join in on this post too. Hopefully, there may still be others who will get to post also.

Luvs

• judithva
    16 years ago

Kathleen, that is perfect! Tea for one, which a lot of people did, this is a lovely addtion to our virtual tea party. I am so glad you posted it, and as Luvs said if anyone wants to still join in, please do!

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

I'm going to try to post a pic of my outdoor tea setting. Fingers crossed!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Yahoo! So glad you are now able to post pictures Betty. ;o) Love your bird dishes and teapot, and the texture on the cups is wonderful. Your silverware handles even match the teapot handle--so perfect. Luvs

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

WHO-HOO!!!! It worked!!
    Ignore the dirt in the background. We are in the process of making this very steep area a trees/shrubs and shade plant area.
    These dishes are special to me because my daughter bought them for me. She wanted me to take her to lunch at Cracker Barrel on her birthday and while we were there I saw these dishes and fell in love with them and she bought them for me.
    Now that's special when you buy your Mom a present on YOUR birthday!
    Betty

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

Thanks Luvs,
    I have to tell you the silverware came from the Dollar Tree. I couldn't believe it when I saw them and remembered that my teapot had a handle to match. I snatched them things up and came right home and started playing!
    It is so exciting to finally be able to post pictures with all of you. I've learned so much just looking at all of the beautiful pictures posted. And everyone is so kind and encouraging that I wasn't too intimidated to try, even though I still have so much to learn.
    I actually did a tea with my step granddaughter and took pics, so I will share those next, even though I haven't had time to learn everything about my new camera and some of the pics are too dark or too bright. What fun!
    Now I will be boring everyone to death taking pictures of everything I see and posting them!!!
    Betty

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Betty, those bird dishes are soooo neat. I love bird stuff and really have to fight myself not to collect it since I have so much other crap, errrr stuff. I just have about 6 figurines of bird pairs that I couldn't resist. But when I see things like you found, ohhhh just makes me want them no matter what. LOL
    hugs, Karen

• dining_delight
    16 years ago

Kathleen and Betty - so nice to have you late-posters so this Tea Party goes on a bit longer.

Kathleen, your St. Pat's tea setting is so pretty and is even more special knowing you are Irish. The teapot and cup are beautiful not to mention the delicious looking dessert.

Betty, what a wonderful bird-themed tea party you set out- how unique! It looks so very spring-like. If I saw those dishes in a store, I would be like your daughter and buy them for MY mom as she loves birds. I also wish I could find something like those two birdies you have on the table joining the party - they are adorable. I am also SO GLAD you got the camera/picture thing happening so now we can enjoy all the pretties you want to share with us.

dd

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

Thanks Karen and DD,
    This forum drips with such talent and I've gotten so many ideas that have really made this new stage in my life so enjoyable.
    I always have to check here first thing every morning to see the beautiful new creations or the newest great buy.
    I really have to come up with some creative storage ideas because every cabinet and corner is crammed full of things I couldn't live without and I've only just begun!! Especially since y'all have taught me to see everything with an eye toward the decorating/tablesetting possibilities!!
    Karen,just think of a tablesetting with those birds as the focal point. I want to see them. Loving my birds.
    DD,the 2 birdies were in my giftbag last mother's day from my daughter and have been sitting in my kitchen windowsill all this time. As Judith taught, I was walking through the house looking for inspiration and there they were just begging to be included.
    Kathleen, I'm so glad you joined in. I kept looking for you. It's always nice when family comes to visit. Does your sister have this adiction that we have?
    Your tea for one is yummy looking as usual. I have nothing for St Patrick's Day decorating at this point. I saw lots of neat stuff at TJ Maxx. Wish I had gotten some now.
    What does it say on the top of your teapot? I can't quite make it out.
    Betty

• judithva
    16 years ago

Betty, I love your tablesetting, especially because I love "any-thing birds". I love that the designer included the butterfly design with the birds too. You matched up everything so well. (I am going to have to check out Cracker Barrel, I haven't been there for quite awhile). Those embroidered bird napking are beautiful, are they from Cracker Barrel too?

And even more wonderful, the fact that your DD bought them for you, you'll even treasure them more. I am so glad you figured out the photo stuff, I am looking forward to seeing more tablesettings from you.

• mary_ruth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bettyd,
    AW how sweet! I just love the dishes, the flowers, tableware, napkins, the table and the atmosphere! I guess I mean EVERYTHING!
    LOVE IT!
    How special! And what great memories you will always have when using those!

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

Thanks Everyone,
    Judith the napkins came from Cracker Barrel also. I had such fun setting the tea up. I had my grandson here from school sick and tried my best to get him to have tea with me and he said "Heck no, I hate tea." I had to laugh. Oh well.
    Mary Ruth I feel proud when you guys praise my attempt after seing all of your beautiful examples. This has really been a learning experience for me and I have loved every minute.
    Betty

• marylmi
    16 years ago

Kathleen, Your St. Pat's table is very pretty and the food....well, "yum" would describe it! :)

Betty, just perfect for an outdoor setting with the birds and butterflies, and the silverware is the perfect match for the trim on the dishes. Nice!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Betty, woohoo! You did it! And what a wonderful setting...very unique...very peaceful setting..
    So glad you can post pics!!

• juicyfruitkid
    16 years ago

Hi I am finally back. Here is my tea with Spook.(Sleepytime)http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/juicyfruitkid/?action=view&current=014-1.jpg

• creatingmyself
    15 years ago

Hi everybody! I've occassionally lurked here but haven't joined due to time restraints. Your fabulous tea party brought me out of the closet! LOL Everybody's tables look fantastic....I've stolen many ideas from y'all over teh past year or so. ;o) These tables were particularly beautiful! I had to play too since I just had my first tea party w/ my granddaughter. I took several pics of our party (we had it back in March) but don't want to take up thread space posting them all. If you'd like to see more pics, I have more posted on my blog.

I decorated the table w/ vintage hats & jewelry, using Arcoroc pink swirl glass plates, some creamy ironstone dishes w/ pink flowers, Fostoria pink depression goblets & I used vintage hankies as napkins. One the menu was Egg Salad Flowers, Roasted Red Pepper Soup w/ Orange Cream, gourmet marshmallows, sliced cukes, fresh strawberries, Orange Vanilla Mini-Cupcakes & tea of course. My granddaughter (she's 2 & 1/2) enjoyed the tea as much as I....she always talks about having another tea party. Only this time she wants Grouchy (my DH) to come too. LOL

Oh yeah, I already feel like I kinda know most of you since I've been a closet lurker but I'm Cami...nice to meet y'all!

">

Here is a link that might be useful: Creating Myself blog

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Hi Cami, welcome! Glad you came out to play. Your table is lovely! I love your cloche..
    Do you post on HTE? There is a Cami there too...

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

Juicyfruit, glad you are back. Looks like even kitties find tea "soothing".

Cami,so glad you came out of lurkdom to join us, especially since you set such a lovely tea table! I enjoyed reading about your tea party on your blog too. What a nice menu you had for it - the food sounds and looks delicious. Hope you will join us more often!

dd

• creatingmyself
    15 years ago

Nope I don't post on HTE. I met another Cami today via blogland though. I don't know that I have ever personally known anyone named that, except me, before...guess the name is getting more popular!

Thansk for the warm welcome...as to coming back more often, I have to now that I joined, don't I? Isn't it in the posting rules somewhere? ;o)

• tamgypsy
    15 years ago

Welcome Cami...I am glad you came out of lurkdom...:)
    Your table is great I like all the vintage touches and how you managed to make so many different items work together...great job...:)

Betty...I love your outdoor tea setting...I was looking a while back at those same dishes at the cracker barrel but I resisted the temptation...lol
    They are beautiful though...:)

Waving to kathleen...:) Hi!!!...I was thinking about you the other day I hope you are doing well...:)

And of course I want to say 'Hello' to all the other ladies and gentlemen of the holiday forum...I haven't been around much (what's new huh?...lol) I am in the middle of several home remodeling projects and I just enrolled in some college courses...but I do occasional 'drive-by-readings'...lol and I do miss all of ya...:)

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Hi Cami, so glad this tea party post got you to come out of lurkdom and join in. If you've been reading for awhile, you know we are a friendly bunch, and I'm sure you will have fun here.

Your tea table is lovely, and I love how you were able to work so many vintage items into it. What a great idea using the hats and handkerchiefs and jewelry. All so pretty.

I'll have to go check out your other pictures on your blog too. Hope you will join in here often.

Welcome back Juicyfruit--why have you been gone so long? Feel free to join in and make comments on all our posts even when you don't have any pics to post.

Hi back at you Tam. I try to come by your blog once a week or so, but you don't post there very often either. Hope your projects are going well. And you are taking some classes--you are one busy lady! ;o) Come give us a holler anytime you can.

Luvs

• creatingmyself
    15 years ago

Thansk y'all! Tam, I've visited your blog before...I love it! You have great style.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Hi and Welcome, Cami. Your table is just gorgeous. I love all the vintage things and how you used them. glad you stepped out of the closet and joined us, you know how we love photos and yours are great.

hugs, Karen

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

Welcome Cami. So glad you joined us. I checked out all of your tea pics on your blog. What a little princess you have there. I was wondering about the 3rd setting until I saw your 3rd guest! Too cute!! Really nice of you to include her baby.
    I tried to post last week as soon as I saw your tea, but my computer was sooooo slow that I gave up. What a great idea to use vintage hankies for napkins. I'll just steal that idea if you don't care!
    My Dh's aunt gave me a china cabinet just like yours. The wood on mine is lighter in color, but otherwise it looks the same. I treasure it so much. And now I've found this forum it is crammed packed full of dishes! I have got to find another china cabinet as soon as possible because I have dishes stacked in the floor all around this one!
    Anyway, happy to meet you.
    Betty

• creatingmyself
    15 years ago

LOL Betty...mine is jam-packed also. I have multiple china cabinets through-out the house & they're all filled to maximum capacity. I really should go thru them & edit them out so they'd look better but then, what would I do w/ all the dishes? I'm doing good to get them color-coordinated. ;o)

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Creatingmyself and Betty, hope you know we love seeing pretty dishes here! Doesn't even have to be in a tablescape, just a pic of some of your pretty dishes would be welcomed.

Luvs

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

I promised to post the pics of my tea with DSGD when I got back to town and then couldn't remember how I did it!
    Had to re-educate myself.

Please excuse the wrinkled plastic tablecloth. I loved the color and haven't been able to find a cloth one that color yet.

Hanna's first plate before she demolished it.

And a pic of the guest of honor. She loved it all. I see more teas in our future. We even let Papa join us since he had worked so hard putting mulch in my flower beds. He wouldn't let us take pics of him!
    Betty

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Betty, everything is so pretty. Especially Miss Hanna.
    Your food looks yummy and makes me want a snack. NOW.

hugs, Karen

• paintingfool
    15 years ago

Betty, if you are looking for a pink tablecloth, they had some very pretty damask ones at Linen 'n Things last week and they were on clearance for $7.

Your table turned out very nice, I know your DSGD loved it.
    B

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

I can tell from that sweet smile that Hannah loved the tea. How fun to do that with her. Love your dishes with the scalloped edges and pretty flowers. Is there a story behind them? Are they an heirloom from a family member? So pretty.
    The pink color sets them off perfectly. Luvs

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. We had lots of fun and ate lots of fresh whipped cream on those strawberries that day!
    Luvs, my DH's Aunt Bernice gave me the set of dishes and I had to use them because they are so pretty and came with the tea pot and creamer/sugar dish. She has been so good to me and sort of adopted us. She has no children so I will gladly be her child!!
    Betty

• creatingmyself
    15 years ago

What a lovely tea party! It's always more fun w/ there's a little girl attending.;o) Your DSGD is adorable & I love the heart-shaped sandwiches. You really did a great job & I know Hanna will have fond memories.

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

Betty, I LOVE the pink tablecloth in your tea setting. If you hadn't told us, I wouldn't have known it was plastic. It is such a pretty colour and goes so well with your beautiful dishes. What I find particularly appealing (besides sweet Hanna and the yummy food!) are the candlestick holders you used...I love candles of all sorts and those are great. Are they crystal? Thanks for keeping this post going, it's a good one!

DD

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Betty, it looks very pretty, and adorable GD!!

• lindasc
    15 years ago

Jim, lets tell the truth did you make the snacks on your table? If so I would love to know what they are, sure could eat them with a cup of tea. I think tea parties are one of the nicest things to do with grandchildren or friends, just a relaxing time.

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

DD,
    The taller ones came from Walmart and the shorter ones came from the Dollar Tree. I don't know if they are crystal or not. I bought them because they were neat looking and I could use them with different tablesettings. The ones from Walmart may be crystal. They are heavy. Can you tell I am dumb about these things?! But I'm having fun!!
    Betty

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

Betty, I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to things like that either but as long as we are having fun...who cares! Anyway, great candlesticks!

dd

• mary_ruth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Did any of you ever see this site? It is tiny teapot jewelry! They are so cute!
    http://www.teapotjewelry.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

DD,
    I was in Walmart today and looked at the candlesticks and they had a sticker that said crystal on them.
    Betty

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Mary Ruth, those are so tiny and very cute! Love the earrings--don't think I'll be spending $75 on a bracelet though! ;o( Luvs

Sponsored
More Discussions