SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calathea_gw

Calathea leaves curling up

calathea
16 years ago

Hi everybody,

I normally have no problems with Marantaceae, but recently my Calathea Beautystar (see http://www.calathea.nl/ - it comes from a very reliable breeder quite well-known in EU) has developed curly leaves, the new ones are dry and crackling at the touch...

I know I should have taken care of it more, but I am quite convinced I did not underwater *that* extremely... (also, it is in a planter very close to a Begonia Rex and a Stromanthe Sanguinea, on a bed of wet pebbles, so I really can't think it was that bad regarding humidity). It used to be in a cache-pot by itself, which of course contributed to elevating humidity, then I took it out of it in order to accommodate the new Begonia Rex in the planter with it (how typical, there is never enough space anywhere).

I wonder- could it be too much light? The plant is located (since its arrival here, 5 months ago) about 2 meters away from the windows in the "light corner" (two consecutive patio doors one facing East, the other South), but it does not get direct light of course. I have experienced previously how sulking Marantaceae can be if they get too much or too little light, but this Calathea is my first serious case of curly leaves.

Any idea? Many thanks in advance!

Comments (13)