SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendravicknair

Help designing landscape in front of porch

kendravicknair
9 years ago

I would really appreciate some help with designing the landscape for our front bed. This area gets morning sun and begins to get shady around 2-3 PM. The right side of the porch gets shady a bit earlier. I would like a variety of evergreens with some perennials toward the front. We don't want to completely cover up the stone, so the biggest challenge for me has been finding a variety of plants that will stay short. The porch is 3-4' above the dirt, so I'd like the majority of the plants to stay below 3'. I'd like to plant a nice cryptomeria yoshino in the space off the corner.

Here are some evergreens that I am considering (these are all available at nurseries nearby):
-moonlit lace viburnum for the corner next to the stairs
-rose creek abelia
-vintage jade distylium
-doublemint gardenia
-soft touch holly
-cryptomeria globosa
-several varieties of low growing juniper
-purple pixie loropetalum (or other low growing)
-pieris

I am not sure where to start or how to arrange them or which plants go well together. I know I don't want it to look like a row of shrubs and that it is better to plant them in groups. And I know they need to be spaced to accommodate their mature size. But I don't know how to take my list of plants and turn it into a cohesive and beautiful bed :/

I would love to hear your suggestions. Thank you!

Comments (6)