SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooper_bennett

Help with porch & landscape design for my "sideways" house

Nest Properties
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have a house that was built perpendicular to the road. The "front" door is located halfway down the right side of the house. The side facing the street has 2 garage doors and an entry door, and is located 1 level below the main level of the house (lot slopes back to front).

I am building a new "front" porch and am looking for ideas on how to create an inviting entrance and if possible lessen the effect of the house being turned the wrong way. The new porch needs to go under the existing porch roof (which is shown in the photo). The materials to be used, direction of the necessary stairs up to the porch, style of handrails and columns, etc. are all undecided.

Also I am looking for creative ideas on how to landscape the house and new porch to draw people towards the front door. This includes style and direction of some type of path or sidewalk to connect the driveway with the porch stairs. The driveway will run up the right side of the property then kind of make an "s" turn across and then into the garage.

I am going to put some pergolas over the carriage style garage doors and eventually have some kind of vine growing on them. Also I will add some substantial metal lantern lights on either side of the garage doors in an attempt to dress up the side of the house facing the street. Would love to hear any other ideas that are out there. Thanks!

Comments (6)