SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fish7577

Please help! New house landscaping

fish7577
13 years ago

We moved in about 2 months ago and we're a little overwhelmed by the landscaping needs. We're in zone 6 in southwestern PA and the house faces East-Northeast. I'm new to the landscaping forum, but found it after getting lots of help and ideas from the "building a home" forum on GWEB.

The weeds in the bed in front of the house were getting so bad that we had to recently get pull weeds and put some mulch down. I was hoping to have a plan for the plantings before starting, but I'm not sure where to start. I enjoy doing it myself, but never had to design or layout something on this scale. The large bed in front of the house has a japanese maple on a small mound and a holly that we planted to block the electric meter. I'd like to have a lot of perennials or other color in the bed, but certainly will need some shrubs or other ground plantings. It's about 18 feet from the house to the inside edge of the sidewalk and the bed is about 35 feet long.

Also, there is a long mound along the road that I'm not sure what to do with. We wanted to block the sound and road a little so we have the mound about 5 feet high in the middle. It's covered with weeds now, but I just put roundup on the whole thing. I don't really want to have to mulch that whole mound every year, so I'm trying to figure out what ground covers or shrubs to use in addition to some trees. I thought a few evergreen trees would be nice in that area. I have about 15 feet on the otherside of the mound that is grass, so I could put the evergreens there and use the mound more for decorative landscape on the house side. I'm not really worried about the mound looking nice from the road, so I won't put a lot of plantings on the road side of it. That's a wheelbarrow in the picture to give some scale.

As for the patio on the side (basement level patio with large retaining wall), I have english boxwoods around it. I still need some more. Is there a perennial I could plant on the wall side of the boxwoods that will drape and overflow over the wall as it grows?

Thanks for any ideas! I know we have endless options since there's nothing yet.

Heres the pics.

{{gwi:40258}}

{{gwi:40260}}

{{gwi:40262}}

{{gwi:40264}}

{{gwi:40266}}

{{gwi:40268}}

{{gwi:40270}}

Comments (12)