SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Please help landscape front of house / new beds

oldbat2be
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

DH bought a bucket/back hoe loader last weekend and has been busy on our first project; beds for landscaping the front of the house. We have very rocky soil - digging is such a challenge - so we decided to go ahead and dig the whole area and then fill with topsoil, vs. individual holes for plants.

The current shape of the beds is straight (fairly easily changed); a walkway from the driveway to the front door is another planned project, and that will curve (I think?).

Any suggestions on what to plant would be appreciated. I originally thought I'd like a cottage flower garden but I'm now thinking that might be a mistake. Either way, I'll plant lots of bulbs for color in the spring.

The size of the area is around 4.5 feet x 19 feet long, dug to a depth of 2 feet, and it's below the large windows at the front of the house, the area between the driveway and the front door.

The containers and benches we were using, add some color but I'd like to have some established plantings as well.

View from farther away. Apologies for the slightly blurry picture; I was rushing to take an as-is picture before DH started. There's a rock wall on the left which you can see, and a messy rock pile still left over from when we dug the new foundation. (Another project will be to clean that up).

Planned area:

Looking the other direction. We could continue the hydrangeas and add some tall grasses but...

Almost done digging!

Comments (8)