SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caldavien

2 tomatoes, repot? right soil? I'm doing it all wrong!

caldavien
13 years ago

Hello every one. I'm almost as new to gardening as I am to these forums and this is my first post. I recently Decided I might like a tomato plant. While visiting my Dad out of state (who is an avid gardener) I mentioned this and he gave me 2 "volunteer" plants that had come up near his old garden from last year. One is a Vincent Watts, the other is a "Black Pear" tomato( I don't know if this is the actual name or not). I'm trying to sell my house so I said I wanted to plant them in containers.

After some discussion with my Father, my Mother and my Aunt who are all avid gardeners, they all said 5 gallon buckets with hole for drainage should work fine and to go ahead and use the soil in the back yard that is mostly leaf compost from the last 30 years the previous owner gardened there. Now my tomatoes are several feet tall. The Vincent Watts is doing ok, but gets yellow on the leaves from time to time. The Black pear is doing reasonably well also but keeps getting wilty. I spoke to my father who said tomatoes " dont like to get their feet wet" so I haven't been watering much and my soil has pulled away from the sides of the pots and is quite hard now. After some searches I found these forums and to my dismay I'm doing it all wrong!

I would like to get some larger pots(self watering), and change my soil, but after reading a few posts I'm not sure if the trauma of the re-potting AND changing of soil will be to much for my plants. The Vincent watts has some flowers but no fruit and the black pear has flowers and 6-8 green fruits a little bigger than golf balls. Any suggestion? I did search the forums and got some good info but I just wasn't confident I knew enough to make it happen without asking.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio