SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
satellitehead

What did I do wrong? (tomato seedlings)

satellitehead
14 years ago

I'm on my third year of starting from seed and ran into a unique sitauation this year. I've changed up everything from year to year finding the "best" seed starting situation - transforming from peat pelletes to seed starter greenhouse trays to using greenhouse trays with jiffy strips.

This year, this is what I did:

- Started my seeds in plastic cells/greenhouse tray using Jiffy seed starting mix. Used a generic heating pad on a 30 minutes on/off cycle to keep temps inside around 70º-75º

- After ~6 days, all of my dozens of seeds sprouted. Great! Placed them in the basement (stays ~67º year round) under a pair of fluorescent 2x40w fixtures with plant/aquarium lights, lights placed ~3" above the tops of the starter leaves on an 18-hour cycle.

- After ~12 more days, first pair of true leaves started to show, very slowly, plants had risen to 2-3". So, I transplanted the seedlings into 2x5 jiffy strips with the same soil mixture I always use, a manure-based product from the local big box hardware store.

- Over the coming several weeks, the plants just sat there, showing no new growth. Only the first pair of true leaves showed, and that was it. After a couple of weeks, the starter leaves yellowed and fell off, the true leaves darkened but remained small.

- Now, 6-8 weeks after germination, I feel like I should have 6-10" plants now with several true leaves. Instead I have {{gwi:241127}}. Some of the true leaves have since fallen off, leaving nothing but a pinkish-purple leggy stem in place with no signs of new growth (but no wilting).

- This weekend, out of sheer desperation, i transferred to 3" round peat pots and planted the seedlings shown DEEP in Miracle Grow potting soil in hopes that they just aren't rooting as well as they should've been. No clue on how that's gonna turn out, or if it's a lost cause at this point.

So, my question is .. I really like the method I used this year, although I think I may sow directly in 2x4 (3"x3" pot) jiffy strips next year, so ... what the heck did I do wrong to get that end result? How can I prevent that next time around?

I just started a new batch down in the basement in the larger 3"x3" jiffy peat strips. The primary leaves are up as I write this, true leaves should start in the next couple of days. I want to figure out what I'm doing before I bork these up too!

I have tried looking all over the internet for pictures of common tomato starting problems and have found...nada! No problems that look like this at least. Lots of advice for how to avoid this kind of thing, but all of that advice is stuff I followed!

So I figured, since I'm a GW member, I'd ask here.

Any insight is appreciated!

A hyperlinked picture of the problem guys, in case anyone misses the hyperlink above or just likes to look at pictures...

Comments (16)