SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teryaki_gw

I'm doing this wrong, aren't I?

teryaki
14 years ago

So, I built one of these (plastic tote DIY aeroponic system): http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=40055

Cheap-o sprayers, PVC pipe and all. So far it's sprouted some basil and dill seeds on paper towels in a little over a week, but, it also killed the pepper plants that I pulled out of soil and put in. Now, they were already weak and sickly from a prolonged aphid infestation that it took me most of the winter to knock down. But, I wanted to find out for sure if I was the cause of their death or not.

Fertilizer-wise I'm using Peters Professional All-Purpose. After the peppers died I added in about a cup of fungus spray, as the paper towels were looking a little green, and every crop of basil I've grown has had some damping off problems anyhow.

Right now the sprouts look healthy and are growing like weeds. I've now also got some pepper and tomato seeds in other cups. I'd like to keep it that way.

I was also kind of thinking of trying to grow fruit in this setup, or otherwise indoor... I picked up a nice vigorous grape vine the other day and am thinking of training it up around the grow light supports and some bolted-on fencing... I don't know if that would even work.

So really I'm writing because I'm worried I might be out of my depth here. I've done a lot of potted and outdoor growing, but, at this point in my life I'm moving from city to city too often to establish perennials and enjoy the literal fruits of my labors. So I'm really hoping to have a garden I can take along with me in a U-Haul.

Comments (5)