SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

wish me luck, I'm sweatin' it...my instincts may be wrong

serenasyh
14 years ago

O.K. I hope to be an orchid grower and not an orchid killer, lol! this is my first year growing hybrid tea roses and have had incredible luck with them (2 of them I was able to rescue from near death to be blooming wonders)but now I am upping the amp with two orchids... I really depend on that grower's instinct but am worried about any mis-assumptions I am making... One of my orchids' spike has broken free from its "sheath" and its baby blossom buds are extending upwards...

I brought both to the nursery and told them that I prefer the bark, because of the online research and from what richardol at this forum advised. However, I was told by the nursery not! to transplant the blooming one and to pry apart the other's spaghnum moss away, exposing the roots and replanting them in 100% bark...They told me it was not! a good idea to mix the mediums...They told me definitely not! to repot the blooming cattalya because the bud may likely fall off...

However I chose to do what has worked for me whenever I transplant very young own root roses and baby bands... I know, I know, some of you may be cringing about this...

What has worked for me to ease transplant shock is to leave the old soil intact so that the plant can easily adapt... I took this principal and bathed/surrounded the sphagnum moss with the bark, leaving a significant layer of bark at the bottom of the pot and a very light layer of bark on top of the spaghnum moss... My thought was when that bark starts to break down, its composition would seep into that spaghnum moss allowing the plant to transition and get used to the bark...

However according to the nursery this was not a good idea..And you guessed it, I did repot both Cattalyas! I am ashamed to admit my pig-headed ways, sigh...I just didn't like how overcrowded the cattalya roots looked in that puny amount of moss, it was like 90% roots...Plus I'm starting to worry about my skinny-stemmed Cattalya... It just doesn't look "happy" to me...it's hard to explain, but whenever I look at my Dad's orchids I can always tell which ones are going to be healthy and strong and vital, and I even predicted way early on which of his were going to have a hard time making it...The skinny-stemmed orchid is increasing in its yellowness (when it was in its original pot) and the pseudobulbs look just a fraction bit more dried out than 2 days ago... therefore I decided to place it in a larger pot and add more nutrients.

After potting them, both orchids received a light immersion of fertilizer. My next strategy is to water within 5 days, then later I will decrease to once a week... The reason why I'm watering a little more frequently is that sometimes with transplant shock you just have to add a little more water than is normal.

So damage is done... O.K. I am ready for the tomato hurling now...

How has everyone else transitioned their new orchids....?

P.S. the orchid lady at my local nursery said it was normal for orchids to have yellow leaves like mine, that it just means the orchid has had tons of light, that light makes the blooms fantastic but the leaves will look rather ugly...

What I don't get is that when I cared for my Dad's orchid for 2 years it had gorgeous dark leaves and! very nice big blooms...and it had very! similar light to the ones my new orchids are receiving... I am confused!

Comments (11)