SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hilomark

Please help me get my planting 'rhythm' down better!

hilomark
12 years ago

I have gardened at my present house almost 20 years, growing may of my own perennials and annuals from seed. MANY I gave away because my garden was never "ready" to accept them in the spring. Also, I had lost my "garden mojo" for several years (not wanting to be outside b/c of neighbor issues, which have resolved, among other things), and have been working steadily to reclaim my small yard. Due to a terribly late and wet spring and work obligations, I am JUST NOW finishing initial weeding, mulching, and edging of my borders! I LOVE many of the annuals that benefit from direct sowing, e.g., zinnias, cosmos, and sunflowers, but never have my garden "ready" in the spring to direct seed them in time!

Please help! What is your best suggestion for how I can get my beds ready THIS YEAR, including into the fall, so I'll have a less arduous task of getting them direct-seeded-annual-ready in the spring? One idea: a friend, who is often the recipient of my well-grown plants, puts down ribbons of potting soil right on top of her existing soil, and plants annuals in that, with some decent success. I also think if I edge them all in the fall, they'll be better ready to go in the spring. Thoughts?

Comments (3)