SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natureinspiredm_6b

Please help me with my potato plant

Hi everyone...

I hope this is the right forum to discuss my plant problem. I am comparatively new to gardening (this is my 4th season) and I never tried to grow potatoes before.

When one of my russet potatoes sprouted in my pantry I just decided to give potato growing a try. So I started the sprouts indoors in a large container filled 1/3rd to it's depth with a mix of potting soil and homemade compost (it was March end). Three plants emerged and they started growing rapidly. By April end I added more soil around the plants keeping top 3" of stem above soil level.

At th beginning of May I set the container outside in my balcony. Initially the plants looked good but after almost 5 days two plants wilted and died while the bottom leaves of the third one starred yellowing. I checked the dead plants and suspected overwatering. So stopped watering for few days and kept the plant in a spot where it got only morning sun. After 1 week of this treatment moved it back to a sunny location and started careful watering, but I try to pull it under shed whenever there is a chance of rain.

Now after 3 weeks the plant surely is not looking as bad as it was and yellowing of leaves has also stopped. But the plant is simply not growing. It is kind of sitting at the same height as it was about a month ago and the new growths are really slow to come up. I have checked for pests and couldn't find any.

Is there a chance that the plant will grow any potato at all? Being a balcony gardener I have limited space and if there is no hope would like to start something else in this container. Please advice me on what to do so that the plant gets its vigor and growth back. Also any tip about watering would be much appreciated. I'm attaching tow pictures for reference. Thanks in advance for your help.

Some of the old yellow leaves are still there

Another view

Comments (11)