SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suru11

Have CAD programs hampered common sense?

Suru
7 years ago

I'm venting here. I have an AA degree in architectural drafting and I was in the construction business for 15 years. I worked on and built mostly large commercial buildings designed by an architects. However, during that time I also designed and drew plans for hundreds of tenant improvements for these buildings. Back then, CAD was something very new and not widely used. So, I'm not saying I know everything about everything, but I do know a little about something and how things should be built.

Anyway, I hand drew my house plans and sent them to an engineer to do the structural drawings. The plans had dimensions and lots of notes. The engineer took three tries just to copy the plans correctly with correct dimensions onto the CAD program. Then, today, as I'm doing the lumber take off I notice he has a micro-lam and a post called out to support the basement ceiling/Main floor joists about 8" away from a wall that is supposed to line up with another bearing wall. On my plans, the walls lined up and I intended for them to be bearing. All he had to do was move that wall over 8" and it line up with the bearing wall and no micro-lam. I don't know how he didn't notice this. I think when you actually have to use a straight-edge and draw a line, you notice this type of stuff. This is just one example of MANY. Also, every structural detail is just some canned detail they have on hand and most have no correlation with my plans. A friend of mine who is building a house in Texas is having the same issues. I have no experience with CAD programs, but it seems like in my case it makes it a little too easy to create a plan and lot of issues one would notice when actually "drawing" the plan get overlooked. What do you experts think?

Comments (9)