SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ben_tso

My California Rose Garden 2024

We have an a nice wet winter and a mild spring, terrific year for roses!

Comments (57)

• elenazone6
    9 days ago

Ben, your garden is very harmonious and bushes are perfect shape! Love it very much and inspired!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    9 days ago

They are all very beautiful. Amazing how many blooms they produce!

• Related Discussions

Volunteering & training in your s. California rose garden

Q

Comments (14)
    You should join the California Coastal Rose Society, which meets in Carlsbad. I live in San Juan Capistrano and that's my "base" rose society (although I officially belong to several of them). That group takes care of the Magee Rose Garden in Carlsbad in exchange for the free use of its meeting space --- the garden care group meets on assorted Saturday mornings to deadhead, prune, train or whatever is needed. The next care dates are June 27, July 18, August 1, August 22 and September 5. Sessions start at 9 and last 90 minutes or so. All hands are welcome. Bring clippers. The garden is at the corner of Beech Avenue and Garfield Street in Carlsbad. Also, I know the AARS test garden in Carlsbad is also looking for a few helping hands. I can put you in touch with them, or you can call the Armstrong nursery in front of the garden and they can probably direct you to the proper folk. Kathy
    ...See More

Best Rose gardens in California

Q

Comments (8)
    On a smaller scale, and close to where I live, is the rose garden at the library in Woodland in northern Cali. From the Yolo Co. Visitors Bureau (and so true!) - "Woodland Rose Garden - Located outside of the Woodland Public Library, this rose garden is an enchanting place. The garden is maintained by the Woodland Library Rose Club; a self-funded organization that is a pioneer in rose preservation with 700 rose bushes, 500 varieties and 4 rare/historical rose bushes. This garden has become Yolo County's 'rose gene bank' and the Rose Club is devoted to sharing the gene bank with the UC Davis Arboretum and Yolo County. In an effort to preserve the rich history of roses in their community, the Rose Club goes a long way to bring a smile to the hearts of the public." Brenda
    ...See More

My California cottage garden

Q

Comments (36)
    Jen, just want to mention it if you don't know yet. "Foxgloves are beautiful, old-fashioned garden flowers, but their dangerous toxins can stop the heart. Foxgloves have been reported to kill livestock, pets, and humans. Children have even been poisoned by drinking the vase water from flower arrangements containing foxgloves. The tall spikes of colorful, tubular blooms are very attractive, so don’t grow them with young ones around. Only well-advised adults should handle the plants or pick their flowers." Make sure your kids won't touch it. https://fafard.com/12-poisonous-garden-plants-to-avoid-for-kids-and-pets/#:~:text=Foxgloves%20are%20beautiful%2C%20old%2Dfashioned,toxins%20can%20stop%20the%20heart.&text=Children%20have%20even%20been%20poisoned,them%20with%20young%20ones%20around.
    ...See More

How many new roses for Season 2024?

Q

Comments (97)
    I ordered Geschwinds Orden from RVR because I thought it would stay small … I soon realized my error. HMF says 13’ minimum. I contacted RVR, and they are substituting La Marne. Polyanthas I can deal with. My only other order this year will be from Burlington. Lady Kidwell and Clotilde Soupert. She sent me a CS last year, but I let it drown in our El Niño. Trying again.
    ...See More
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    9 days ago

Great roses, Ben. I missed Elon.

• Soozie Q, zone 10b
    9 days ago

Agreed, Sheila. Next video, let's see Elon!

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Sheila, Soozie

Elon is not allowed outside during front yard video making. He is always looking for a neighbor’s open front door or garage so he can zoom in, hoping to make new friends ,play fetch or get a treat. More than once I’ve had to knock on someone’s door and ask for my dog back.

Fetch? Anyone?

9 days ago

I'm surprised the neighbors give Elon back. My Tiger is the same way.

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Soozie Q, zone 10b
    9 days ago

Awww I'd keep him he's too cute. I need another little dog again soon.

Original Author
    9 days ago

Sheila,

Our little dogs know exactly what they can get away with, and they also don’t care!

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    9 days ago

Your garden is so lovely.

Ps I think the volume is fine :)

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Magnificent, Ben, just Magnificent!

Moses

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Sheila, Soozie,

When we leave the house , I often think that a burglar can take off with anything they want, just leave the little guard dog !

Magpie

Thanks, I do realize my voice does not project, I’m glad this is a garden stroll, not a bullhorn operation.

• rosecanadian
    9 days ago

Ben - Your Neptune shines there...love it! Elon is soooo photogenic!!

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked rosecanadian
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 days ago

Ben, What a little cutie Elon is! It would be hard to say no to a game of fetch with him. I keep saying I need a new little house dog too, maybe 2 of them. We have 2 huge livestock guardian dogs. They literally love their goats more than us lol. I tried to bring our big male inside my bathroom for a fancy spa day. He literally wrecked my bathroom: tore the shower curtain down, jumped up on the sink vanity which is way smaller than him to growl at the predator in the mirror, ripped the toilet paper roll holder of the wall, and then ran to the back door and wanted to immediately get back in with his goats. From then on he gets baths in a horse trough outside lol. He's sweet as pie but hates leaving his charges 😅

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    9 days ago

Well Ben, from one soft spoken person to another, I think it's a nice quality. We don't need to be loud to be heard, if the quality of our company is such that they're inclined to listen :)

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    9 days ago

I too liked your voice as it was, Ben.

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    9 days ago

Wow, your garden looks amazing, and this is just the rose tour in the front yard. Looking forward to your next video.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    9 days ago

Wow ! what a feast for the eyes . love everything .

In my opinion both BenT and Hoang Ton get the Award of growing the best roses :)

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked pink rose(9b, FL )
  • dianela7analabama
    9 days ago

Wow wow Ben spectacular! I watched your garden video and what a treat it was. I LOVE them all. I particularly enjoyed your moonlight in Paris and that giant sugar moon. I may not be able to grow them as well as you do but I am planning on trying. Your voice is perfect and soothing. Thank you for sharing your space with us.

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked dianela7analabama
  • rosecanadian
    9 days ago

Sultry - oh my goodness!!! In retrospect it's funny...but at the time!!! YIKES!!! I love how these guardian dogs know how helpless their charges are.

• Galadriel
    9 days ago

Your garden is beautiful!
    I was going through the earlier videos that you shared. And realized that I had decided to get a Golden Opportunity climbing rose after watching your video.
    I hope it grows well in my garden as well :)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

What a treat to visit your spectacular rose garden! Seeing Neptune, Neil Diamond, and Sugar Moon makes me want to try them again. I appreciate the info and details that you provided. What are some of your favorites to cut?

Original Author
    8 days ago

Galadriel,

I think Golden Opportunity is awesome, with quality repeat like no other, I’m glad you are going to get one.

Dianela,

Thanks for the compliement,

, but your own garden is incredible, especially those magnificent climbers on pillars and those robust groupings of Austins. I feel like we are looking a an arboretum with those beautiful statues too.

Feiy,

I love your beautiful garden as well, I think we have the same garden style, squeeze in a riot of color wherever we can!

Magpie,

Thanks for the eloquent and kind words, we should do the most and be happy with what we’re given

Sultry,

LOL, those dogs have a mind of their own and they are so determined to get their own crazy agenda done!

Soozie,

Little dogs make the best garden buddies.

Moses,

Thank you, always appreciate your wisdom and humor.

Pink rose,

Thanks much, I’m happy for others to see my garden, it is a blessing to be able to do so.

Carol,

Thank you , I think you’d like Neptune, it was my Texas neighbors favorite, she just called it that wonderufl purple rose that smells like lemons.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    8 days ago

What a joy it must be to grow roses in perfect conditions where they can show their true potential without disease/insect /weather pressure . Of course you must still put a lot of hard work to produce such amazing bushes .

I especially love your Neil diamond , Well being , Garden Delight , chipp n dale , parfume Royale .

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    8 days ago

Wow so much beauty in one spot !!!!

Personally I have a soft spot for the modern high centered form roses so your front rose garden is my favorite . But I can appreciate the complexity and variety of the back rose garden , so many colors & forms & growth habits from all over the world .

Especially love your : Golden Opportunity , Abe Darby , Constance ,The Impressionist , Juliet .

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked pink rose(9b, FL )
    8 days ago

Great movie, Ben. Your garden is so well grown!

• KittyNYz6
    8 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Ben, Love ypur 2 rose tours! Enjoy especially some unique favorites: Th. Marx, Juliet, Constance, gorgeous Masora-really loved seeing her bush & unique bloom shape. Many of the roses are babies in my garden this spring. Can’t wait to see them perform!

One of your of particular interest is Barcelona, Kordes ! Are you sure it is not ”Barcelona -Francis Dubrieul? I can’t see any difference. It seems possible to order FD from Rogue Valley when in stock but not the Kordes? Where did you buy yours? Love the deep wine color!

I also like Black Bacara and Black Caviar! Exceptional dark reddish wines!

Original Author
    8 days ago

Kitty,

I went to The Huntington last week and they had some wonderful mature plants of Barcelona, they looked to be the exact same variety as what I have. Tom Carruth said he thinks pretty much all the plants in US are Barcelona, not Frances Dubreil.

I’ve got Black Caviar too, but it’s a little plant, yet to bloom.

Pink rose

So many people like the OGR form, but I like the traditional high centered modern roses just as much!

• berrypiez6b
    8 days ago

Oh I wish it didn't end - I'll have to watch them again. Absolutely magnificent roses Ben. I'm glad you and Elon have gathered one of the most beautiful rose collections on Earth to enjoy. Thanks so much for giving us a glimpse.

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked berrypiez6b
  • rosecanadian
    8 days ago

Ben - I'm interested to see how Black Caviar does for you. :)

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked rosecanadian
  • Karen Service
    7 days ago

Ben, I love garden tours. Thank you for going to the trouble to do not one, but two, videos of your garden. Speaking as a person who can't walk and chew gum at the same time, I know this took some effort and ability. Everything was so beautiful! What I loved most is that you knew so much about your subjects and weren't shy about sharing your knowledge with the viewer. The only times I've ever been disappointed by garden tours were when the "gardeners" knew nothing about their plants, sometimes not even the identity.

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked Karen Service
  • Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    7 days ago

Ben...I just got done watching both tours and I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the beauty and quality of your roses. They are grown to utter and absolute perfection! This has nothing to do with your climate, because you grew them to perfection in your last garden too, which was in , I believe, Texas. Wow, wow, wow! Truly, your roses are stunning.

I love how you share your experience and knowledge with each variety. You have one of the best selections of rose varieties I've seen...I'm truly envious. There were many times when I paused the video to go and search for a particular variety. I loved all your Japanese and florist roses.

I would never get tired of watching your "strolls through your rose garden" videos. So inspiring, so beautiful....thanks so much for sharing your roses with us.

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    7 days ago

BenT what a lot of work you did to create this video! Thank you so much for the tour! Your garden is stunningly beautiful! Sooo many breathtaking roses.

Now everyone else needs a video as well. I love garden tours and didn’t even have to drive anywhere!

• mmmm12COzone5
    7 days ago

Just watched part 1. I loved the narration! I like all the details on how the plants perform. Also like seeing full bush shapes and foliage. Thank you!

• erasmus_gw
    7 days ago

Great job! Must be nice to have less bs pressure and no rrd in CA.

• KittyNYz6
    6 days ago

Ben,

It’s sooo wonderful you have Barcelona, Kordes and Bl Caviar! Love to see them both bloom more! I recently decided on adding Black Baccara, from GRF, another wine! Love those wine colors! Awwwwwwwwww!!!!!

Original Author
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

Thanks everyone for watching the videos and the sweet words. I’m very lucky to have friends that enjoy roses the same way I do!

Rosylady

Your words resonated with me. Even though we live in a more favorable climate , we still stay just as busy taking care of our plants to make them look nice.

Erasmus

I am indeed happy to move away from not only blackspot and RRD, but mosquitos, too!

Karen,

I love talking about roses, and these videos are a great outlet. I had considered just setting the roses to a music background, but I like to talk too much.

Melissa

I’ve been honing up on my video editing skills, I am using an app called InShOt which seems much more intuitive than my old app. I do enjoy learning something new, even if it is frustrating at times.

mmmm,

I like seeing the full plant in people’s garden myself! I’m glad you do that in your pics as well.

Kitty

Black Baccara seems super popular here, I wonder if it has better burn resistance than other black reds

Berrypie

It is indeed Elon’s garden too, I left enough grass so we can play fetch in both directions!

5 days ago

Elon looks so happy! I didn't know he played tennis too.

• Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    5 days ago

I’m looking that app up now!

• berrypiez6b
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

Elon has a great smile , he's a hunk ! ( compact one )

• rosecanadian
    5 days ago

He seems like a real person...in other words...he has character!! :) :) He's adorable!!

• KittyNYz6
    4 days ago

Ben, That smile on Elon is captivating! What a really happy dog! One if the happiest dogs ever! Sweet! Is he thinking about your cooking treats?

Original Author
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Elon thanks everyone for the compliments! He wishes he could jump in his car and visit each of you in person and frolic in your garden. Alas, he is only 3, too young for a driver’s license, and must be relegated to the back in his doggy booster.

The garden is still looking nice and more roses are coming into bloom, so I am making videos for Part 3.

English Perfume

Capri

Chippendale

Perfume Factory

Gertrude

• berrypiez6b
    yesterday

Ben - you couldn't get a better back seat driver . While you watch the road , Elon will take care of the sky.

From what I have read and watched in videos , Chippendale is an incredible rose. I'm eager to see how it does for you .

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    yesterday

Hello Elon... :-) Nice rose garden you have Elon... lol...

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Ben, being a kitty person, it's hard to say this, but Elon has got one of the most appealing, happy faces I've ever seen on dog or cat. What a smile, and it made me smile back. Love the special car seat for Elon, and I am thoroughly amazed at how clean and perfect the white human seats are, too. Ben, I see you are growing Capri, a Tantau rose I've wanted to grow for many a year. Sir, you have connections in the rose world. I'm late to comment on your spectacular garden videos. I watched part 1 twice, and will watch again. And now what a treat to see part 2. Right off, I knew what my favorite rose is in your garden....so far. And there was Scentuous my fav at the beginning of part 2. So perfect. So gorgeous. Someday, I'll grow it, I swear. And another favorite was the stunning Madame Isaac Perriere. What a great job you did extending her canes so gracefully over the wire support. And how big she is in such a short time. She's spectacular. The Impressionist was especially beautiful, too, and one I rarely have even seen in photos. Masora's individual blooms are a work of art. In Part 1, Life of the Party stood out to me, and Moonlight in Paris. I loved Augusta Luise, and you got such lovely light colored blooms from her. She will get a lot bigger if you let her. I'm looking forward to your third installment. Will you feature Golden Zest or Bring Me Sunshine by any chance? Thanks for taking such care in bringing us a glimpse of your garden. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Ben, I'm back because I can't stop thinking about some of the roses in your part 2. I should have mentioned how a couple of roses in your garden got me excited because they were so different, and those two are Beatrice and Edith. What I loved about them was their frilly soft look and interesting coloring, and the pretty scalloping around the petals of Beatrice. She has such a pure, light yellow color, it made me happy to look at her. I think those roses are the next big look in florist roses, if they're not already. I'm sure I'm behind the times a bit. I also got to thinking about Masora and how theoretically lovely she looks, but several things bother me about this rose. She is too uniform in her bloom structure, and the color is also too uniform. What I like about Evelyn is the great variety she displays in coloring and the shape of her blooms. Some of her blooms are deeply cup shaped and some are flatter and more highly quartered. And some of Evelyn's blooms are very pink and others so apricot. Masora has none of this, and I think this rose could become boring for me--though she is beautiful in your garden for sure. Just some late night rose meandering thoughts. Now I want Beatrice. Diane

Why they'll never be another rose quite like Evelyn.

• Soozie Q, zone 10b
    yesterday

Can't wait for video #3! Thanks for providing info on each rose; I have Firefighter too & didn't know it can grow so tall. I have it at the very front of a border. Next January it will be taken out & planted further back.

• KittyNYz6
    14 hours ago
    last modified: 14 hours ago

Ben, Happy Elon is sooooo adorable & fits sooooo nicely in his car seat. I’d love a car seat for Anastasisbut she takes up the back 3/4 of seat! She’s an extea big standard poodle, Lol! Maybe I will put a long doggie cushion over the leather seat, where she’s now on a towel????

Video 3 sounds great! Loved all your other videos!

New Masora is growing well for me-no blooms yet, but glossy leaves & very disease resistant! Love her!

Diane, Your Evelyn is alway girgepus anf love her many colors! And love that FRF is sending me Rougie Royale! Your rises are soooooo amazing!

Original Author
    14 hours ago
    last modified: 9 hours ago

Diane,

Your Evelyns always look so luscious. I was inspired by you to grow the variety years ago, I still believe she is among the very best Austins, especially for hot weather folks like us. Thanks for the kind words about my garden videos.

Soozie,

Firefighter is indeed a tall variety, mine is especially tall being on Fortuniana rootstock. But he stays where he is, next to the fire hydrant, that’s his job. Lady Emma Hamilton, for example, seems like rather delicate gal who wouldn’t know what do if there’s a fire!

Kitty,

Masora is especially beautiful for me this year, I bet she’ll be terrific for you as well. Last year I thought she was far inferior to Evelyn and Abe, that must have rankled her, because this spring she looks the best.

I bet Anastasia is just happy she is along for the ride! Elon curls up in his doggy seat and snores, he is very content to be included.

Berrypie and Jim

Elon says hi to you , Amara and Gracie!