What's for Dinner Summer part deux 2025 #422
last year
last modified: last year
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (110)
- last year
- last year
Related Discussions
Things to Make with Sourdough Starter Deux
Comments (150)I almost didn't read that Kitchen thread, but I decided to open it last night out of curiosity. I loved it!. Anyone who is following along and hasn't read about the new toaster instructions needs to go take a look at the link above. Glad you got to see the photo this time. I have to be honest and say I'd never heard of stroopwafels before I went to Holland or I would have searched them out. I'd never eaten one when I decided I had to try making them. I don't know how authentic the taste is, but I know they aren't the "authentic" look, but after seeing the ones with the grid and so thin (so commercial looking -- ya know? ), I, personally, like the ones made with the pizzelle iron. Somehow the stroopwafels came up in a conversation between this attorney and DH (her husband is a great cook, and they wind up talking food and kitchens sometimes). She had had stroowafels in Holland and loved them and DH told her I made them sometimes. It was a couple of months later that she arranged her schedule to be here for meetings on another case so she could see our son in his high school musical (she's a former actress). That was a pretty special effort, so I decided to match the kindness (and make DH proud) with a bag of stroopwafels for her. She was the first person I knew who'd had them in Holland ad had mine and she loved mine, so I was happy. LOL They do keep pretty well, so they would be great in a gift basket -- and most people have never had them. I've seen one commercial brand sandwiched with dark chocolate and want to try that for my oldest son. If you decide to try them, let me know. I use an adaptation of two recipes and will share that with you. If you want to find your own, the cookie has many variations out there and they have all worked for me. I use mostly vanilla and a little lemon or orange flavoring when I make stroopwafels. Martha Stewart's cookie recipe is good, but I had a total fail with the caramel in her recipe. The caramel I use is from Willy Dean's recipe found somewhere on the internet years ago. It is 1-1/2 c light brown sugar, 1 C butter, 1 tsp cinnamon and 6 T dark corn syrup boiled until it thickens. That's a lot of caramel. For this last batch, I doubled the cookie recipe from Martha's recipe and still had about a cup of caramel left over. Let me know if you try them. As for the sourdough, I think it may have baked too long. The dough soft and slightly on the wet side, so I don't think it was too much flour. I was thinking the crust should have been a bit darker, so I left it in a few minutes longer. It was okay fresh, but it dried quickly. I have some other bread in the freezer for bread pudding, so I don't need this too -- hope it makes good crumbs. I like your idea about retitling the next thread. Even baker's kaffeeklatsch -- we could soon be starting a new one every week. That's okay. I do have AC -- can't live in the Houston area without it -- no natural AC like in CA. We used to live in northern CA and DS1 is now in LA and loves the weather. This is year 4 and grad school options are mostly north of the snow belt -- could be a shock to his system. I get the feeling you are in southern CA. I am going to tackle organizing my cookbooks before I do any major baking. It's driving me crazy to not be able to put my finger on books like I'm used to. That's going to bleed over into cleaning other bookcases. Could be worse.........See MoreWhat's for dinner #281
Comments (54)Stacy your Shepherds Pie looks wonderful...so what about the instructions for posting a pic!!! Kathleen your soup presentation is outstanding, you set such a beautiful table. I could handle that frittata too. Ann I have been thinking it was time for stuffed ribs and now I have a serious craving! Last night was good old fashioned spaghetti with meatballs. Clive is out tonight so I may just have to have some of Diane's cabbage rolls. I made about 50 ,or so, last weekend , they are sooooo good!...See MoreWhat's for Dinner #420 Spring/Summer 2025
Comments (104)sleevendog, your meals always look fresh and healthy, but those tomatoes, yum. I'm just waiting for mine.... John, my single year of high school French class 53 years ago is not serving me well, it took me a little time to puzzle through that menu, LOL. The only bao I've ever had was frozen from the freezer section of a local grocery, that one looks much nicer and fluffier. Jasdip, I hope it's cooled off a bit there. Here it was nice for a couple of days, now it's back up to above 90F tomorrow. In Michigan in June!!! It's just not supposed to happen, ugh. And yet, I still cook. (grin) Today we had peanut butter chicken with rice and roasted asparagus, and strawberry shortcake for dessert with what are probably the last berries this year as the groundhogs keep eating them the minute they get at all red. We've been having salads regularly because I had a lot of various leaves in a raised bed, until the same blasted groundhog decided to just chew on everything. It wasn't actually eaten, just nibbled, walked upon and chewed to pieces, so it seems I'll have to buy my leaves until I can trap the whistle pig. It's also burrowing under the foundation of the house, so it's got to go. Anyway, other meals were some sauteed shrimp with more asparagus and some chickpea salad: Southern style blackberry cobbler with ice cream: Amanda's lunch of a cheese omelette, some gluten free toast and fresh strawberries on a day when she was here visiting: Salmon patties and air fryer potato slices, with some more asparagus. Oddly, nothing seems to want the asparagus, but it's nearing the end of the season for that. Biscuits for breakfast, baked in a "pone" instead of individual biscuits, Elery made these and we had them with eggs. A nicely rare high heat roasted sirloin tip, sliced on the slicer for sandwiches: Panini made from the above beef.... Penne with home canned tomato sauce and garlic bread: I picked some broccolini and "Fioretto" cauliflower from the garden, the purple Fioretto is very colorful and tastes more like cabbage than cauliflower. We will process meat chickens in the next couple of weeks, so I'm trying to make more freezer room, that seems like a constant endeavor. I had the "leaf" fat from the pig we got from a neighbor and so rendered two "almost" pints of lard: I know there were others, but I sure don't remember what! Annie...See MoreWhat to Wear - July 2025
Comments (297)That is very weird, Sue. Maybe they are outsourcing their designs to a new company to execute? Youshould review the flimsy fabric dresses. Off topic, Andrea Nelson on youtube (artist) just released s video of her first attempt at cyanotype in which one treats their own paper rather than use the premade paper. Great results, looks like a really fun project! https://youtube.com/shorts/StbLJn2236s?si=VTVFAI1aes2ezrno...See More- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
Related Stories

GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGHouzz Call: Show Us Your Great Patio, Deck or Rooftop!
Give your patio a chance at the spotlight as we head outdoors for a new summer ideabook series
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESFrom Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES10 Popular Home Design Trends — Timely or Timeless?
Weigh in on whether these of-the-moment decorating elements will have staying power or become a memory of these times
Full Story
THE POLITE HOUSEThe Polite House: Can I Put a Remodel Project on Our Wedding Registry?
Find out how to ask guests for less traditional wedding gifts
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSCatching Up With the Queen of Shabby Chic
Rachel Ashwell defined a style embraced by countless fans over the past 25 years. Find out what she’s turning her sights to now
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNStandouts From the 2014 Kitchen & Bath Industry Show
Check out the latest and greatest in sinks, ovens, countertop materials and more
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEWhere to Stash the Stand Mixer in Your Kitchen
Stand mixers aren’t huge, but they’re heavy. See storage ideas for keeping them accessible and easy to use
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN14 Bathroom Design Ideas Expected to Be Big in 2015
Award-winning designers reveal the bathroom features they believe will emerge or stay strong in the years ahead
Full Story
SAVING WATER11 Ways to Save Water at Home
Whether you live in a drought-stricken area or just want to help preserve a precious resource, here are things you can do to use less water
Full StorySponsored
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH






































John Liu