SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arabellamiller

What's for dinner #281

arabellamiller
15 years ago

THis is a no knead pizza dough from a pizza bianca recipe from Cook's Illustrated. It is absolutely delicious, and so so easy. The crust is chewy but not gummy and crisp on the outside. Traditionally it's served with olive oil and rosemary, but well, that just wasn't going to fly here.

That was dinner Sat. night, last night I used the leftover sauce on chicken.

AM

The Dinner Chronicles

Comments (54)

• angelaid
    15 years ago

Thanks AM!

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

Sunday night we had Shrimp Louie, Tuesday Steel Head Trout with chickpea salad, and last night we had Chicken Pot Pie....

Linda

• Related Discussions

What’s for Dinner #375

Q

Comments (100)
    WalnutCreek, I'll have to try pork chops in the Air Fryer. I have one but the only thing I've liked so far that I made in it was "fried" chicken". Beet chips just fell into the bottom and charred, fish was dried out, potato chips were fiddly and half were crunchy but the rest were not. (sigh) After the beet chip fiasco I shoved it onto a pantry shelf and haven't touched it since, I'll have to drag it back out. Yesterday I took Mother some roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes, the chicken was brined 24 hours and high heat roasted ala AnnT. It was really good, extremely moist and even the breast meat wasn't dry. I also made a big batch of split pea soup, Mother loves it. I had to use yellow peas because I had those and the store didn't have any green split peas (or any other dried beans) in stock. sleevendog, your garden is growing well, and Elery would love an artichoke pizza. Neely, stay well, I'm glad your sons are delivering food, I stopped and did Mother's grocery shopping yesterday and dropped off groceries along with her prepared meals. Jasdip, I'm glad you're just "hunkering down" and there's no reason for quarantine! As for that leprechaun, we didn't catch him, but he dropped some of his treasure, a couple of strings of beans, a few of those "gold" colored dollar coins and some glittery hair clips. Maci insists that she heard "tiny little footsteps in the night" and nearly caught the leprechaun eating all the chocolate, LOL. Annie
    ...See More

Final debate. What’s for dinner?

Q

Comments (22)
    Split Pea Soup with chunks of ham. No debate for me....just can't....DH on zoom call with a friend he has a martini with every Thursday eve. All virtual since COVID except for once in our backyard with social distancing. They've done this for years. It's my quiet time :)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #398 Nov 2021

Q

Comments (100)
    Mmm cheese sauce and gnocchi sounds good to me Walnut creek. Jasdip, your salad and drumstick followed by your caponata look delicious. I did look up the difference between caponata and ratatouille and it seems caponata has the addtion of olives perhaps capers... did you add these to yours? We had a few cool days and while I‘m not in a real cooking frame of mind at the moment... I did cook up Fish and six veg. I had some red sauce left over from the pizza so I made a sort of patatas brava with potatoes and sweet potatoes
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner?

Q

Comments (55)
    Dinner last night was a first -- I made a pot of chicken soup when it was 100 degrees or more outside (we've stopped watching). Special request of son upstairs with covid. I figure today to tomorrow will be d-day for me, so waiting to see. Tonight will be either leftovers of the soup or verde chicken enchiladas and spanish rice made the night before or whatever DH makes. Could be BLT's -- not really into cooking today.
    ...See More
  • dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Last nights dinner. Buns bought from Harris Teeter (and very good). We split the sandwich between the two of us. I did make the fries and was quite pleased at how well I was able to chop them.:) The brownies were good too but no picture (Candy Bar Brownies from BHG that I have made several times and are very good).

arab, our team has been hurting for many years now (Redskins). We are looking forward to better days.:) Your pizza looked real good.

lynd, wonderful pictures and delicious looking food. I love salmon and chicken pot pie even more!

• stacy3
    15 years ago

nothing to add - but I'm showing that that's OK!!!!!

AM - I've never made potato leek soup, but have some leeks from the CSA - I will be looking to see how you made yours.

oh Dixie, too bad we didn't see that photo!!! chicken swiss bacon...brownies??!!!! mmmm. And please keep posting wonderful pics, OK? Those fries look great.

oh Linda - everything looks so good. Especially your potpie - but I may be weird, but I want to know about that chickpea salad!

Scott's gone, so I am cooking quinoa - and store bought wings for will, and broccoli and cauliflower are roasting. ??? I'm sure it won't be picture worthy - lol.

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

Stacy,

The chickpea salad is so easy...

1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained
    1/2 small red onion finely chopped
    1/2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
    1 rib of celery and leafy tops, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped (1 sprig)
    1 tbsp red wine vinegar
    2 tbsp extra-virgin olive, oil
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine chickpeas with onions, peppers, celery, garlic, red pepper flakes and rosemary in a medium bowl.
    Dress salad with vinegar and oil, salt and pepper.

(Food Network, Rachael, Ray)

Enjoy,

Linda

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

Lynda, we love chicken pot pie and yours looks very comforting. But your Trout and Chickpea Salad looks especially good to me. Thank you for the recipe.

Dixie, your sandwich and fries also look wonderful.

Thumper really wanted chicken noodle soup last night, so that's what I made him. And that boy had two full (Jethro-size) bowls. With the leftover chicken I'll probably make Chicken Enchiladas for tomorrow night.

This morning I decided I'd better find some use for all the bell peppers I bought on sale last weekend. So I'm making roasted red pepper soup, and the smells emanating from the kitchen are mighty good, let me tell you.

Everything looks good here, as usual. I'll organize some of my dinner pictures and post them as soon as I get a chance.

Sol

• dirt_yfingernails
    15 years ago

Last night DH was gone to a meeting, so I made supper I can just warm up tonight. I took a couple of fresh zucchini and split them lengthwise up the middle. Scooped out the middles. Then browned some hamburger with garlic, onions, herbs and tomatoes from the garden and cooked brown rice. Filled the scooped out area with this mixture. Topped it with spaghetti sauce and parmesan. Baked it at 350 for about 45 minutes and brought it out of the oven then topped it with mozzarella. No cooking for me tonight!

• User
    15 years ago

Linda thanks for the chickpea salad recipe! This weekend Clive told me how much he loves chickpeas and asked why I never cook them.....first time in all these years he has mentioned them and I've never seen him eat them! LOL You also have me craving pot pie now!

Sol, tomorrow I will roast a bushel of reds for the freezer almost exclusively yo be used in Roasted Red Pepper soup...I love the stuff!

Mind you Am I am also thinking Potato Leek soup. I have a great recipe that uses blue cheese as well...yum!

Last night was Ann T's Salisbury steak with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and fresh beans. Meredith was over the moon with the dish. She claims I have never made it for her before. I told her that was impossible but then when I think of it she was gone for four fall/winters so in all likely hood I hadn't. Anyhow she wants it on the regular tour!!

• woodie
    15 years ago

Hey Sharon - you make me smile! I am making Ann's salisbury steak tonight with mashed potatoes and rutabagas instead of the green beans however. Clive's chick pea story reminded me of #1 granddaughter who is now 15 when she once said to me as a little one that she likes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches just fine but she also likes bologna, but "nobody in this house ever buys it".

Here's another good chickpea salad recipe for you and Clive with apologies to whoever first posted it, sorry that I didn't save your name - I've copied Linda's also, thanks Linda!

Marinated Chickpea Salad with Radishes and Cucumber
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 Tbsps. fresh lemon juice
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (can use a bit more)
    1/4 tsp. ground cumin
    Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    One 15-oz. can chickpeas, well rinsed & drained
    1 lb. seedless cucumber, thinly sliced crosswise
    6 large red radishes, thinly slided
    1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup finely chopped parsley or cilantro
    In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, lemon zest and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chickpeas and let marinate for at least 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Just before serving, stir in the cucumbers, radishes, onion, and herb(s) and season with salt and pepper.
    source: posted at finerkitchens.com
    My note: I use cilantro. If I only have a regular cucumber on hand, I seed it before cutting into chunks. Must use good brand (and fresh)olive oil. I usually marinate the chickpeas longer. This is best at room temperature. We love it!
    (The note is not Woodies, it is from whoever posted this recipe.)

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Pouring rain here since last night.

I love the salad, the salmon, chicken pot pie and the sounds of Ann's Salisbury Steak.

After making chicken sandwiches the other night we felt like another sandwich the next so I made Italian subs along with Route 11 Potato Chips and pickle. Last night was Chinese out with friends. We shared all around the table - Pu Pu Platter, Sweet & Sour Pork, Szh. Chicken, Hunan Style Shrimp & Scallops and Beef w/Broc.

Tonight was going to be pork chops on the grill but too much rain so I cooked them stovetop - Pork Chops with Peach Sauce, Rice & cabbage.

• velodoug
    15 years ago

DW came home with beautiful ripe tomatoes from her friend's garden. (She took home made chocolate chip cookies to trade.) I sliced two of the tomatoes and served them with a splash of balsamic alongside tonight's cheddar omelets.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Well, I finally got Sol's Molten Lava Cakes right, I didn't overbake, they stayed liquid in the middle. Of course, it stuck in the pan while I was trying to get it out, so it's still not as pretty as Sol's, but it was good.

What else is for dinner? Well, I made chicken and corn chowder, but it wasn't very pretty. I did have some toast for breakfast this morning with coffee. I made cinnamon bread with some of the cinnamon Sherry gave me as a wedding gift, and I topped it with some local honey, also gifted to me by one of our state police detectives as a wedding gift.

{{gwi:1560334}}

{{gwi:1560335}}

What's tomorrow? Probably left over scalloped potatoes, before they go bad, they're left over from (I think) Wednesday....

Annie

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Annie everything looks wonderful especially that Molten Lava Cake. I've eaten one before but it was quite a few years ago.

Well the rain stopped earlier so we headed off to the Chili Cook-off in town. Tasted some good ones and some bad ones. Then headed down and picked some apples. We will pick our bulk in the next week or so. Did a few projects around the house and then told hubby to get the grill started because it looked like it was going to rain again. Got the steaks on and he made it in the house by about a minute before the sky just opened up and it has been pouring buckets ever since.

Tonights dinner - Grilled Steaked, veges. & potatoes. This plate is for the both of us.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Woodie, thanks for that recipe, Elery llikes chickpeas, he really likes beans of any type, and I think he's going to really like that salad.

Dixie, I think you and I are the only ones cooking and eating this weekend. Your porkchops with peaches look good, I love that combination. The chili sounds good too, although it's 80F here today. It'll be in the 60s by Tuesday, maybe chili then.

I had the oven on to make bread, I was out, so I stuck a spaghetti squash in the oven and made some enchiladas with leftover pulled pork.

{{gwi:1560337}}

{{gwi:1560338}}

I went to a "party lights" party today at Chrystal's. I'm not "into" any of the fussy, fancy, expensive stuff and I don't like candles, the scents always give me a headache. Chrystal loves them, though, and I got her name in the office Christmas drawing, so today she did her own Christmas shopping at her party, LOL.

She sure cooked, though. We had a quiche with feta and spinach, a tart with red peppers and artichokes on puff pastry, homemade cinnamon rolls, some little "pocketbooks" made of wonton wrappers and filled with chocolate and peanut butter, chicken salad on homemade french bread, hot and homemade cheese straws, and some tiny bars with dates and honey that were very good.

So, I didn't have supper until about 8 p.m., I was still full from the party, LOL.

Annie

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Don't worry...I'm not wasting away from not eating. I have pic's on the camera but haven't had time....just way too much going on.

Last week we had a new roof put on and while this gigantic dumpster was here I worked out in the garage...pitching things left and right into the dumpster. Then I had a guy here painting trim and then it was the guys adding insulation up in the attic...... On top of all that I was doing some canning.....then....now here's the biggie..... The manager where I work fell and crushed her kneecap! I'm now the temporary store manager. I'm not sure about this (I really did like just working parttime) but hey, whatdaya going to do? So life has been pretty busy the last couple of weeks. I'll get to those pic's soon.

Nancy

• cookingrvc
    15 years ago

Hi all!

Made tuscan roast pork last night, with some variations (see recipe forum) - very good.

sue

• stacy3
    15 years ago

wow - this was way on the second page! Sue, I'm heading over to check out that recipe...I always like yours. :-)

Hi Nancy - sounds like you've been so busy - holy cow! I'd be ordering pizza...

Oh Annie, those enchiladas look amazing. wow. And your lava cake. I haven't made those in a couple years...

dixie, that steak is mouthwatering!

thanks for the chickpea salad recipes!

Tonight I'm making Gina's black bean soup. With fresh artisan 5 minute bread.

I'll report back and hopefully with a pic, but I might be the next one on this thread anyway - as painfully slow as it seems to be moving - lol.

Stacy

• stacy3
    15 years ago

yep, it's me again. Gina's soup is wonderful. fortunately, it tastes WAAAAAY better than it photographs. I added some carrots and a few sprinkles of hot pepper flakes and used cilantro instead of basil.

Yum! Thanks Gina.

She posted this recipe in Sept. 06. Just gettin around to trying it!

Gina's Black Bean Soup
    ================================
    4 slices bacon, chopped roughly
    1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, diced
    1 large onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
    olive oil
    Chicken stock
    1 can stewed tomatoes (I used pomodoros)
    3 cans black beans
    2 T chopped canned jalapeno (green chiles)
    Chopped fresh basil or cilantro (I had basil)
    1 cup chopped tomato
    S & P to taste
    In a soup pot, render the bacon over medium heat until browned and crisped.
    Add about 2T olive oil.
    Add 3/4 of the chopped onion. Cook until very tender.
    Add the chicken. Stir until chicken is cooked through.
    Add the garlic and give a quick stir.
    Add the stewed tomatoes and 2 1/2 cans of undrained beans.
    In the remaining 1/2 can of beans, take a wooden spoon and
    smash the beans against the sides of the can to thicken. Add to the pot.
    Stir in chicken stock until consistency of the soup is like a "stoup" - soup/stew. Bring to boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
    Add chopped fresh tomato, the remainder of the chopped onion, the canned chile, basil, S&P. Cook another 5 minutes.

• User
    15 years ago

I'll keep you company Stacy! That soup sounds great , trying to find ways of adding more beans to our meals. Will give that a try at the cottage this weekend.

Last night I made Sweet and sour Pork Tenderloin along with rice and snow peas....no lo mein , this is a previous picture!

Tonight I'm thinking Shepherd's Pie and what ever veggies look best at the market.

• diinohio
    15 years ago

Thought I would start to contribute after a post in conversations a while back.

Today was cooler so I made minestrone and pesto.

Di
    {{gwi:1560315}}

• annie1992
    15 years ago

OK, I'll join you two for supper, LOL.

Tonight supper was sol's chicken and caramel sauce, I just love the stuff. No pictures, it was too late and I'd already eaten it before I thought to take a picture of it.

Lsst night I cooked in solidarity for Rosh Hashana. I'd planned a brisket but thought better of it, it's a lot of beef for just me, Ashley was working. So, instead, I had a piece of salmon and a baked sweet potato, along with this Apple Challah, conveniently combining my bread with my dessert and adding apples and honey all in one shot!

{{gwi:1560342}}

{{gwi:1560343}}

Tomorrow? Who knows.....

Annie

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Well, this is an enjoyable but intimate gathering - lol. With excellent food!

Sharon, can I send Scott over for some Shepherd's pie? He loves it so.

Di, the soup looks great - I love the idea of the little dollop of pesto!

Annie, your challah looks delicious - and I too love Sol's caramel chicken - thanks for the reminder.

Last night, wasn't pretty - again - but tasted good!
    Diana had posted about these home fries awhile back - and Scott - who loves crispy home fries - was in heaven. Those and a crustless quiche. We did have sliced tomato on the side. Should have put one on the plate to give it some color, I guess. :-) And the lighting is off - the potatoes really didn't look gross.

I'm on a mission to prove to people that photos of dinner don't have to be perfect to post them here.

yeah, that's it...:-)

Stacy

• User
    15 years ago

Di, you and Stacy both have me wanting soup! Suppose to be a cool weekend at the cottage so soup will be on the menu.

Annie that bread looks wonderful!

Stacy, those potatoes look great, can you share Diana's recipe. Tell Scott he knows where we are and he is welcome any old time! Here you go Scott, Shepherd's Pie!

PS: Can someone remind me how to post a regular size pic instead of a thumbnail.....thanks

• stacy3
    15 years ago

okey dokey Sharon - but it's a trade off. Could you tell me how you make your shepherd's pie? It looks so good and the meat part looks so flavorful and juicy.

The hash brown recipe is from vegan yum yum and has some great pics to go with it so I will link to it.

Stacy

Here is a link that might be useful: Veganyumyum hash browns

• User
    15 years ago

Here you go Stacy! Forget where I got this recipe so can;t give credit where credit is due.

I fiddle with it a bit. Sometimes I add peas, sometimes I use dried herbs, sometimes I forget the parmesan and just use paprika, sometimes I leave the garlic out of the potatoes....I always use some of my demi glace or brown sauce.

Shepherds Pie

4 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    3/4 cup diced onion, about 1/2 medium
    2 cups diced carrot, about 2 medium
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 heaping tbsp tomato paste
    2 tbsp flour
    1 cup red wine
    2 1/2 cups beef stock ( I use 1/2 stock one half my brown sauce)
    1 sprig rosemary
    1 sprig thyme
    Salt and pepper to taste

4 medium cooking potatoes, peeled and quartered
    2 cloves garlic, smashed
    butter
    1/4 milk
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Add 2 tbsp vegetable oil to large pan over medium high heat. Add ground beef.
    2. Cook until excess liquid is gone and meat is starting to brown. If required drain of any fat.
    3. Remove meat from pan and deglaze with red wine, let reduce slightly.
    4. In another large pot, add remaining vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook until soft but not browned, about 5-7 minutes.
    5. Add garlic and add tomato paste. Brown paste slightly then sprinkle in flour. Cook out for a minute or two
    6. Add in red wine, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan.
    7. Add beef stock, rosemary, thyme. Return browned meat to pot. Simmer, covered for 20-25 minutes.
    8. Remove lid and continue cooking for another 10 minutes; liquid will reduce and thicken. Remove rosemary, thyme . Season well with salt and pepper.

Potatoes

1. Add quartered potatoes and smashed garlic to medium pot.
    2. Boil until potatoes are tender but not overdone, about 15-20 minutes.
    3. Strain potatoes; let dry out slightly in colander before returning to pot. Add milk, butter, pepper, Parmesan cheese and more salt if necessary.
    4. Mash potato masher.

Preheat oven to 400. Spoon filling into the bottom of a 10-inch round casserole dish. Top with potatoes. Grate parmesan cheese on top and dot surface evenly with butter. Season with salt and pepper.
    Bake on middle rack until top is golden and filling is warmed through, about 20-25 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.

• User
    15 years ago

Wow, what delectable dinners everyone is having. Annie's enchiladas, Sharon's Shepherds Pie, Stacy's Quiche and those crispy potatoes, Dixie's homemade fries and her steak, I'd be happy with anyone of those meals. So would Moe since I haven't cooked much at all in the last week.

I took some time off work last week so we could finally start painting the inside of our home. I thought it was about time, since we have been here almost a year. Moe did get the outside painted this summer. Didn't realize how much work was involved in prepping "wood paneling" for painting and painting ceilings. I'm too old for this. Still have more to do, but I have Friday, Monday and Tuesday off so I hope to get more done then.

I did make a pot of Goulash last week and served it with homemade Spaetzle.

Our next door neighbour is wonderful. He offered to cook us dinner Saturday and Sunday night so that I could just paint all day.

Picked up some fresh halibut steaks for dinner last night. Served with brown butter, lemon and parsley sauce, Oyster mushrooms, fresh asparagus and rice.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Oh Ann. How Will loves real goulash...I will have to make it soon - yours looks soooo good.

You've mentioned these neighbors several times, I think - how wonderful to have someone next to you that you "connect" with...we feel fortunate there, too. :-)

Sharon, your shepherd's pie is "in progress". LOL. No wonder it looked so good, red wine and your BROWN SAUCE! I am so happy I have some in the freezer!!!

Scott will be so happy when he gets home - he'll owe me (and you!) - tee hee!

Stacy

• User
    15 years ago

Hope it works out Stacy!

Should have added that I make a bit more of the potato topping, maybe 4-5 large, not medium, potatoes...we like potatoes!

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

Yummy yummy yummy everyone's food looks so good!!!

Tonight I'll make something with boneless chicken thighs....

I haven't decided yet. LOL

Linda

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Annie, the Apple Challah looks wonderful, I could make a whole dinner on that...no problem!

Shepard's Pie???? YUM!!!! Sharon, that is something I always intend to make but never seem to think of at the right time.
    Stacy, I can't wait to hear how Scott liked it. :))

Ann, you've been busy too. I'd love the goulash or the halibut any time. It's great you have such a good neighbor.

I finally downloaded pictures of a few things I've cooked for dinner over the last couple of weeks.

Tenderloin with Zucchini Potato Pancakes

Pork Steaks and Maple BBQ Baked Beans

This week our weather has really cooled off so I made a pot roast last night

I had been saving the jar of Chile Sauce that Sharon had sent me this summer. It was perfect with the pot roast.

Sharon, that Chile Sauce is the bomb! Excellent! I really hope that I can find time to make a batch if I can still get tomatoes next week. It is exactly the flavor that I like. I will make time to make it. Thank you so much.

Nancy

• sooz
    15 years ago

OMG I am just droooooling over the photos everyone posted!

Well, here's what we had tonight...tossed green salad and Feta & Spinach Quiche, topped with a little tomato and bit of cheddar/jack, served alongside steamed carrots that had a bit of thyme and butter.

I think next time I'll make a deep dish quiche--this one was kinda skinny!
    :O)
    Sooz

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh Sooz, the spinach feta combo sounds wonderful!

nancy, isn't Sharon's chile sauce the best? And you have me craving tenderloin...

Lynda, what did you make with the chicken thighs? Have you tried Sol's caramel chicken?

sharon, thanks so much for the shepherd's pie recipe - it was wonderful. I knew when I added the wine and brown sauce to the carrots...mmmm.

Scott and I got into a conversation and the top got nice and brown...he says thank you too!

Mine isn't as pretty as yours, but it didn't matter.

Stacy

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

AB, that MLC looks luscious to me. Next time, try the concoction of equal parts flour, shortening and a few drops of a neutral oil that I've posted here before, and I promise nothing will stick to your baking pans.

By the way, your Apple Challah looks puffy, golden brown and delicious too. And if you ever have any free time (don't you give me that look!) could you please post the recipe for your Pork Enchiladas? They look too obscenely-good to pass up. Thanks in advance Annie.

Stacy, glad to see I'm not the only one who loves black beans. I've always been a huge fan of Black Bean Soup, and it's something I make year round. Yours is killing me.

Ann, your Goulash made me do a double-take, but then, your food has often been the culprit of a few head/neck injuries. I'm pretty sure I have your recipe for the Goulash, but I think I'll look it up before I ask.

Sharon, Shepherd's Pie is Jim's favorite fall fare, and I've been in the mood for the same. Yours looks amazing.
    Sooz and Nancy's offerings look pretty darn good too.

I've been cooking too, but haven't had enough time to drop in and contribute to this thread. Lately I've been making a lot of soups, as our cooler weather begs for it.

Roasted Red and Yellow Pepper Soup (recipe on my blog). Three Onion Panade. This onion soup one had the consistency of a stew, rather than a soup, and it was pretty good and comforting, but it made my house reek of onions for 3 days. Grilled Tequila Chipotle Shrimp with Corn Pudding Stuffed Poblanos.

I also made a very, very special bread ;-Ã, which happened quite by accident - I might add. It's true. But, it's one I cannot post here, lest I get banned from GW forever, maybe even longer. But, I'll email it to some of you, my lovably-warped friends.

{{gwi:1560367}}

This weekend we'll be on the road, checking out Michigan's Fall foliage, and stopping at a diner that was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.
    Which reminds me, the last time we followed Guy Fieri's advice, we ended up in a real honest-to-goodness dive. I don't want to drag the diner's name through the mud, so I'll just say, it was located somewhere in the south, and it was a diner that should've been shut down by the Health Department 20 years ago.

Special Hugs to AB. Happy weekend to all.

Sol

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh yea - ME ME ME!!! I'm warped enough!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, I'm warped enough too, LOL.

Hey, the last time I followed Guy Fieri's advice I ended up at Joe's Gizzard City. The food wasn't so bad, although everything was fried, even the Oreos, but it was definitely a dive....

Annie

• User
    15 years ago

Me too...warp speed!!!!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Hello warped friends...I have been absent awhile. Haven't cooked anything that I haven't posted before!
    Sol, that looks amazing!! I saw it on your blog, which I love to read...I limit myself to yours, Maryel's and Jain's. all who I met through this forum!! Such talent so many of you have!

Chase, I have never made Shep's Pie, dh did once, time to give a try again, thanks for the recipe.. Stacy, your looks good...and all the dinners in the pics, Ann, Nancy, Sooz, ...Annie your apple challah looks delicious too...

I hosted another 50th anniv party for neighbors last Sun. I used the same decor as the one I did last year, so I won't bore you, but I presented the soups in Cosmo glasses. A perfect amount and much easier to serve on a tray than bowls. I got the glasses at the WmSonoma outlet, on sale of course!!

Chicken orzo, Butternut Pear and Leek and Potato...

• User
    15 years ago

Sol, I hope I'm on your warped friend list.

Kathleen, I love your soup presentation.

Actually cooked tonight. Made something we haven't had in a while. Stuffed Baby Back Ribs.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

That looks very good....I have never made that Ann. You cooked after all that washing of glasses and painting! I am tired thinking about it!

I had some baked ham, fresh spinach and tomatoes and half a container of ricotta...it became dinner...

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Hey sol, I'll admit to being more than a little warped....

No major cooking here, we've been enjoying many fresh tomatoes. I guess we are trying to get our fill of BLT's while we can. No frost yet so now everyone has extras, they are wonderful.

On Saturday night we had a seafood boil...lobster, shrimp, King crab legs, fresh sweetcorn, fingerling potatoes...you get the idea....and I forgot my camera!

Nancy

• User
    15 years ago

Stacy your Shepherds Pie looks wonderful...so what about the instructions for posting a pic!!!

Kathleen your soup presentation is outstanding, you set such a beautiful table. I could handle that frittata too.

Ann I have been thinking it was time for stuffed ribs and now I have a serious craving!

Last night was good old fashioned spaghetti with meatballs.

Clive is out tonight so I may just have to have some of Diane's cabbage rolls. I made about 50 ,or so, last weekend , they are sooooo good!

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

I'm drooling on my keyboard right now looking at some of these dishes.:) Everything looks wonderful.

No pictures from me although some would have been worthy if I say so myself! We've had a pork roast stuffed with apple and raisin stuffing, fried chicken, lasagna and of course steamed, spiced blue crabs which were the absolute BEST of the season - my mouth is still watering for some more. Fall season is the best for them here. Must get more before the season runs out:)

• stacy3
    15 years ago

sharon, I am not familiar with smugmug! maybe if you email AnnT? sorry!

oh and BTW, Ann, I can't believe I haven't tried those stuffed ribs yet...they look heavenly.

kathleen love your soup presentation.

• User
    15 years ago

Stacy, well fine for you....what a way to weasel the Shepherds Pie recipe out of me...shame! LOL

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Thank you Chase and Stacy. We ate out, so nothing to report here...

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I finally broke down and took some time to just cook something I'd never cooked before.

So, while Elery was cooking pork chops on the grill, I was making butternut squash ravioli, with a brown butter and sage sauce. The brussels sprouts are the tiny ones from the garden.

I guess the ravioli must have been OK because Ashley swears she hates squash and she and her friends ate it all, including the dozen that I had planned to put in the freezer!

{{gwi:1547963}}

Annie

• annie1992
    15 years ago

OK, Ashley is laughing at me and says I have to say what's for dinner tonight, not just when it's good, LOL. OK, tonight I had collard greens. I canned 15 pints, and ate the remainder with fresh maple oatmeal bread.

For dessert I had chocolate crinkles:

{{gwi:1560378}}

Yeah, and what's wrong with that? Greens and chocolate....

Annie

• happygram
    15 years ago

Annie,
    Could I please have the recipe for apple challah? I tried the "search", but there wasn't anything even close!
    Thanks so much.
    Mary

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

I spent my day shopping for light fixtures so dinner tonight was burgers from Culver's. Culver's is a Wisconsin based chain that has recently expanded into Michigan. Good stuff that is a few steps up from the national fast food chains.

Annie, your dinner with squash ravioli sounds great and I see nothing wrong with tonight's dinner either.

Some of AnnT's ribs will be in my dreams. And Kathleen's soups also. And cabbage rolls........yum!

Nancy

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

We had freezer chili...
    This batch had some grilled boneless beef ribs, chicken and grilled pork chop bone leftovers. LOL

with...Fresh Biscuits and Gluten Free Maple Corn Muffins

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!