SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddielee49

Eclipse talk and funny stuff

last month

Two of my brothers (and families) met up in Arkansas for front row viewing of today’s event. One group flew in from CA, the other drove from N. Florida. As of this morning’s family chat, there has been no problem finding available charging stations for the vehicles. They see no sign of rapture.

I like the way the Holderness family presents an eclipse.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6pEIiLNdehE?si=RJmgJ-r6EEMwLKOr

Comments (57)

• last month

Thank you, nini! Will do. :)

• last month

We were only going to get 20% coverage but it;s pouring rain here today all day so a nonevent for us. My son and his family flew to someplace in Ontario where a swath of it will get the total eclipse so I hope the weather holds for them.

• Related Discussions

Total Lunar Eclipse tonight! 7:26 PST

Q

Comments (4)
    We had planned on going outside and playing in the snow for an hour or two tonight to watch it, but it's going to be tooooo cold, so we'll be watching from inside. We'll likely go out on the balcony off of our bedroom periodically to get a better look. Sophie is incredibly excited. We've looked at pictures of lunar eclipses, and talked about why it happens and stuff. It's supposed to be clear here tonight, so we should get a good view. Oh Gayle - I just read your response - a fire is a good idea!! We have a firepit in the backyard. Why didn't I think of that? :)
    ...See More

Random funny stuff

Q

Comments (19)
    I liked the healthy, weighty women and the shortened lives of men who mentioned the weight. The New Yorker runs a caption-less cartoon contest. Recently it showed two men at a table in a restaurant. One man is looking above the other's head at a falling block of cement that's about to land on his companion. The winning caption has the about-to-be-hit man saying, "I told my ex I'd take her back if she dumped some weight."
    ...See More

Frameless vs. Framed - Eclipse by Shiloh?

Q

Comments (46)
    Here's a pic of our new display without tops yet. These are the MDF standard construction. Anglophilia is right...they are very heavy! Really only person who benefits from the plywood upgrade is your installer...his back will thank you. :-) Photos below show MDF and also a couple of the drawer options: standard wood or laminate in a laminate gray metal finish.
    ...See More

Is anyone traveling to or going to watch the total solar eclipse

Q

Comments (37)
    I don't remember the year, but the only eclipse I ever saw was in the spring, more than 25 years ago. Neither DH nor I were thinking about it, but an eclipse was already underway when we walked out of the shop in a garden center. It wasn't only dark, it got quite chilly, too. There was a hush -- birds and insects reacting, I suppose. It took my breath away, something I only realized when I began to breathe again as the sun was revealed. I was truly awed -- the more so for not having expected it.
    ...See More
  • last month

Yesterday flew into DFW for the eclipse, a number of people on the plane with us were on the same journey. This morning the weather has been warm, varying between clear and cloud cover, hoping for best as we move into the eclipse time. Traveling with DH, my brother and his girlfriend. We all have our eclipse glasses and will have fun together whatever happens. Happy that today is not stormy as projected a week ago.

• last month

We're supposed to have 96% totality where I live in Kentucky, but it's partly cloudy, so we probably won't see it.

• last month

• last month
    last modified: last month

SNL had the funniest bit with the earthquake and the eclipse.

• last month

Raising a hand for the meh, so what? crowd….I could not be less interested in the eclipse— never have been curious enough about one to even go outside. It’s a well known, fully explained recurring phenomenon. 🤷 The only mystery to me is why people are lining up to view, taking the day off work, staying home from school.… I don’t get it.

• last month

We'll get 90% totality. It's kind of cloudy though but my plan is to sit outside and simply enjoy watching it get darker, and see how the cattle and birds react. Maybe an owl will hoot! :)

• last month

Quick update — it’s half covered right now and looks amazing! I so wish I could get pics.

We have clouds moving through, but they aren’t affecting it at all.

• last month

it's pretty, that's why. And if it happens to be nearly total and a clear, pleasant day, why not?

• last month

We’re only going to get about 85% in Atlanta, but it’s still fun. The 2017 eclipse was great. My boys were in late elementary and early middle school. Perfect ages to understand and be interested and wear the glasses correctly. We had a picnic in the yard with sun and moon themed junk food (Sunkist soda, Moon Pies, Sun Chips, Eclipse and Orbit gums.) This time one of them is off at school, and one is playing golf with his girlfriend. I supplied them both with two pairs of glasses, so they could share if needed. It’s a beautiful sunny day here. DH and I are going outside periodically to check on the progress.

• last month

We have only 57% coverage, but it is a clear day, so I was able to see it easily. I half-heartedly tried to take a picture by covering my phone lens with eclipse glasses, but it didn’t really work. If I had cut out the lenses and taped them over the camera, I probably could have gotten a picture, but I didn’t care to go to that much effort.

• last month

We are very sunny and I keep going out to check…so fun to see the ”bite” out of the ”cookie” getting bigger!

• last month

@Jilly CNN is reporting funny (as in different) stuff happening with the birds at the Dallas Zoo. Seems they were chirping. With an Ostrich laying an egg.

• last month

A few minutes ago. From Central Florida. No one told me we needed purple hats and special glasses.

• last month

We were in the path of totality in 2017, and it was the most awe-inspiring sight I've ever seen! Magnificent! Today we will get to 95%, but it's extremely cloudy, so it's doubtful we'll be able to see anything. 😢

• last month

Maddie, that’s wild about the zoo! 😄

WOW. It was AMAZING. I tried what Fun said and taped a piece of the lens over my phone camera lens, but it didn’t come out well.

I’m west of Dallas, so didn’t get 100% totality, but it was very, very close. There was just a tiny sliver of sun still showing.

Look at these clouds that have color. Bad iPad pic, but they were extremely vivid, like a rainbow. I wonder what caused that? I wish the pic was better, it was truly awesome-looking.

It’s getting light again now, that was so much fun. :)

ETA: Just looked again, the moon is now on the other side and not much sun is showing … it’s amazing how bright just a sliver of sun is.

• last month

I swear I am betting a sunburn sitting outside staring at the sun through my special glasses. Were about a quarter of the way through. Also my neck is hurting from tippi g my head back, but i would not miss. Ill be in my 90s for the next one, so not taking any chances this time.

• last month

Clouds cleared for us, we had a great view. It was very cool. So happy for DH as this was an adventure that he planned, he is very into astronomy. A once in a lifetime event. Also, now I do not need to plan a trip to Austraila and New Zealand around the eclipse there in 2028😄

• last month

Jill, I’m thrilled it was a good show for you all!

• last month

The clouds parted right at totality here. Amazing!

• last month

I was able to see a bit of it in Chicago. I took several photos with my cell phone camera. Awesome experience.

• last month

We had clear skies and only the tiniest of slivers left. Dimmed but not total darkness. Definitely an experience. Agree about the stiff neck from sitting on the deck watching the progress. It was fun to see Lester Holt and NBC crew at the Indy Speedway which isn't that far away from me.

• last month

Well we did get to see a few snippets when the clouds would break. It was great, but not the same as totality. Totality is everything!

• last month

DS sent from downtown Boston.

• last month

Decided yesterday to head to VT and

view eclipse with DD. It was amazing, so worth camping out in her and BF’s small apartment. Viewed from the edge of Lake Champlain in Burlington. Pictures do not come close to capturing it.

• last month

I watched the NASA feed from the totality in Mexico through beyond Indiana. I'm blown away. Emotional. I had no idea I would be so affected by this marvel of nature/science/creation. No words.

• last month

we had a rare clear-day-during-a-celestial-event, so my friend and I took our glasses to the park, and went in and out of the pavilion to stay out of the bright sunlight and heat, popping out to take pictures of each other in our glasses, and to look at the sun and moon. Very cool! We were in 94%.

I didn’t realize until the other day that where my cousins live would be in 100%! I coulda gone! 94% percent was interesting to watch through the viewer, and to feel the temperature and wind change, and the ambient light did change a little to be more like the sky before a storm, but now I would like to see totality. The way it was described on the live broadcasts, and by a couple we walked out of the park with who had seen the last one in totality in Idao, sounded like something to experience.

• last month

Yes, Bunny! I had no idea totality would have such an emotional effect on me. Pictures, videos, etc. are *Nothing* like seeing totality in person!

• last month

We had about 90% here. I wasn't paying attention and didn't know it would be that high for us. Had I known, I would have ordered glasses. Oh well, it was pretty cloudy anyway. DH made a quick peep hole camera thingy so we did get to see some of it.

We also watched the live NASA feed of totality in Texas. Wow! That would be something to experience!

• last month

what an interesting experience. As partial totality approached, the temperature dropped and the birds were silent. The clouds parted enough to see it . It was clear for the beginning and end. Here’s a photo i took through my glasses near the beginning

• last month

Love the lake photo, Lakeaffect. So pretty.

• last month

We had 80% this time and over 90% in 2017. It made a huge difference. It wasn't that noticeable but it got a little darker and cooler.

Family in WNY had a lot of clouds, unfortunately.

• last month

We had a perfect view --- for about 20 minutes. Then the clouds started thickening and within 30 minutes there was nothing to see. I was so disappointed.

• last month

I flew home today to Chicago, and landed at O'Hare around 1 pm-ish. I wasn't planning on viewing it, but when I arrived home, opened the shades, walked around the house... there was a distinctive cast of unusual light that made me pause.

I read an article on the plane about how ancient civilizations would have been fearful of this natural phenomenon. It was a great reminder of how our modern science allows us to appreciate this wonder.

• last month

We had totality in Wayne Co. Ohio, and it got dark - a sunset at 3pm. Amazing. Alas it lasted only a short time before the sun returned. I was with my aunt who wanted me to watch it with her. Left my cats outside, wish I could have been at home to see their reaction.

• last month

We had a long-planned trip to Kentucky and then to Ohio to see some of DH’s childhood friends before we realized it was the week of the eclipse. We really got lucky and saw the total eclipse in a small town that was celebrating big. As science geeks it was really neat to see and observe what happened around us. The town set off a few fireworks in the distance when it got completely dark.

This was my best photo with a filter i ordered especially for my phone. I didn’t take many, we just observed and yes, we saw the diamond ring effect. DH had a welder’s mask which was cool to use too.

• last month

It was a beautiful clear spring day. With 95% coverage where we were, it just seemed a bit like dusk for a few minutes, though the light was different. Without the glasses, there was nothing to see. With glasses, it was fun to watch the moon gobble up the sun.

I might be tempted by totality in Egypt in 2027, but for the fact it will be in August and over 100 degrees!

• last month

I'm with kswl on this one...I don't get it either. But, I'm not much on any "space" stuff in general, anyway. I appreciate there are people out there who are though, of course! I'll just leave it in their hands!

I've never had any interest about outer space aliens or space movies like Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.

• last month

I wound up delivering an altered dress to a school yesterday and stopped by my son's school to lend him a hand with some paperwork. He's coordinating their region auditions this weekend. I drove home at lunch -- just as it was beginning. Total cloud coverage and drizzling rain. By the time I got home, I drove through some heavy rain and the light quality seemed like 7 p.m. rather than closer to 1 p.m. It got a little darker even though the rain eased and then got lighter and the rain stopped. Never would have known there was a solar eclipse here -- would have just thought it was darker clouds if it hadn't been all anyone was talking about.

• last month

Ollie Jane, imho, being a science nerd has nothing to do with an interest in science fiction, Star Wars or anything of that genre. I personally do not like any of those, but as an engineer greatly appreciate astronomy, space and space exploration, and anything STEM really.

• last month

^^^Okay then...all of that. Whatever you want to call it. LOL

But again, I'm so glad there are people that do!!

• last month

I read an article on the plane about how ancient civilizations would have been fearful of this natural phenomenon. It was a great reminder of how our modern science allows us to appreciate this wonder.

We talked about that while it was happening. Can you imagine not understanding why it's getting pitch black in the middle of the day!? One could definitely think the world was ending!

---

I have never seen Star Wars and I never will. I do not like science fiction at all. But actual science, especially relating to things that happen in our everyday lives like this, is fascinating.

• last month

I love science and science fiction both, but apparently I lack the eclipse gene! 😉 I’m glad people who were really anticipating it enjoyed the experience.

• last month

We were right in the path and got 100% coverage. There were big watch parties in several towns and cities, and it was a really festive atmosphere. The community of Hartland, just north of me, is usually home to about 1,000 people but yesterday they had huge crowds and even a news crew from the Weather Channel. People from all over the world - - I saw there were long line ups at the border on Sunday/Monday.

I was working but went outside to watch with some of my coworkers. We couldn't have scripted better weather with just a few wispy clouds that only appeared for a short while. I took this picture of our parking lot at 4:35 pm. It got dark enough that our streetlights came on.... but it was a different kind of dark. Then a few seconds later it visibly started getting light again. It was both eerie and spectacular. In the map picture I work in the area under the orange dot.

• last month

My husband and I decided at the last minute to go to Oberlin, in the path of 100% totality. We had just gotten back from Spain, so weren't sure we wanted to tackle the trip. We were so glad we did. We had gone to the 2017 total eclipse (also in 100% totality) but this experience was different, as we were in a large city square instead of my niece's suburban backyard in TN. The curtain of darkness fell with such suddenness, it was eerie. One can sympathize with those who were ignorant of the mechanics of the event, and thought it signified the end of the world. The birds went silent, dogs started barking and howling, a sudden wind came up, and the temperature dropped by about 15 degrees. Splendid and beautiful.

• last month

Since there wasn't much eclipse effect here in the Bay Area, I was a little ho-hum about it. My daughter was definitely in the meh camp. Until we both saw it through others' experiences. The sheer joy and amazement first seen from somewhere in Mexico gave me an instant contact high. I got very choked up and quickly got myself hooked with with NASA.

For most of my life I was fully science/evolution. I'm still on the side of science, but I have also come to embrace the myths of Creation. And not myths=make-believe, but myths=traditional way to explain things especially in the natural world.

Can you imagine being a nomadic people, tending the flock in midday, and there's a total eclipse of the sun?!! Holy carp! The stories you will tell.

I'm in awe of the magnificence of our created world.

• last month

Holy carp! The stories you will tell.

If you didn't drop dead from a heart attack right there in the field! ;-)

• last month

Next up, swarming cicadas. REPENT!!!!!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County