SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaaam

Do you wear a sun hat?

last month

Other than when you are sitting on the beach? If yes, how to you manage hat head— especially if you can’t wear a pony tail? I’m thinking about this because I just came from the dermatologist.

Comments (31)

• last month

I look for hats that are on the large side so they don’t smoosh my hair too much! I have Outdoor Research brand hats, which come in different sizes (I buy a size L) and colors. I mostly use them for the beach but also sometimes when gardening or, say, going to an outdoor festival or something. For walking/exercise, I use a baseball cap (and I don’t worry about my hair since I’m usually showering after).

lisaam thanked Sueb20
  • last month
    last modified: last month

No - just a visor, mostly when I play golf. It's a necessity to keep my hair from falling in my face. The sides go through the hair not on top so no hat head. I've found a brand that doesn't hurt my head. I wore the first one around the golf store while I was shopping to do a pain test. I also never fail to wear sunscreen on my face since it's in my moisturizer.

DH just had a couple basal cell carcinomas removed and has to have Mohs on his face next week. Skin cancer runs in his family and he spent many years without the benefit of sunscreen - like many of us baby boomers.

lisaam thanked 3katz4me
  • Related Discussions

DS won't wear a hat

Q

Comments (9)
    The fleece ones are great. You can get them at Target and Wal-Mart, too for cheaper than the Gap ones and they have the same styles pretty much. We told DS he had to leave it on and used the velcro and fought with him. It's different if you're talking about wearing a hat just because it's cute and if it's because it's cold out. Your son is just in one of those stages and some grow out of it quicker than others. We just didn't let DS win that battle and the same with a coat. He's now almost 3 and he has to have a coat and hat on before he'll go out in the winter. He will get them himself if he knows we're about to leave. Last weekend it was in the 60's here and we tried to tell him he didn't need his hat and he was mad. We also put on a little lighter coat and he wanted his winter coat. If you give up now, you'll be losing the battle for a long time. ~Leslie~
    ...See More

Do you wear a hat?

Q

Comments (39)
    I wear a visor since I found out that cataracts are caused by the sun and I'm starting to get one in my right eye. Gotta get new sunglasses that allow me to see the ground better. I also learned from experience that floral hats and the color yellow attract bees and other insects. I wear glittery visors and glittery t shirts that seem to keep the bugs away (except for the gnats). Can't wear hats because they are too hot for me but a bug net with a visor under it to keep it off my face are often needed for those horrible daytime mosquitoes. What we do in order to garden!
    ...See More

Dining room design disaster area - wear your hard hat!

Q

Comments (11)
    Okay sounds good. I will replace chandelier, remove upper cabinet and start looking into yellows for wall that work with the chair color as well as with the northern exposure. Any suggestions for a yellow wall color that might work with beige color of the chairs and not fight with greige undertones of hallway wall paper and colors of tv room? Although I do like the idea of possibly painting a feature wall with shelving and the buffet navy since I need some of it to balance out both rugs...but if I do that - not sure what I'd do on the rest of the walls? It is a very small room. And what are your thoughts about the floors - they are very beat up underneath rug. Should I re-stain or paint or replace the flooring that I have in there now? Many thx for all your thoughts and comments.
    ...See More

Help! My house wears a hat!

Q

Comments (17)
    Once you have a plan in place, it will probably be worth it to find a good landscape nursery. I have to travel an hour to mine. On the flip side, if you don't mind small plants, you can often find things by mail order. Small plants usually grow fast if they are going to flourish, so if you don't mind sparseness for a few years, it ends up filling in faster than you'd think. I usually do a mix, some bigger expensive plants and then some bargains and often some smaller mail order plants that I can't find anywhere else.
    ...See More
  • last month

I live in ponytails. I either wear a baseball cap.....or a woven straw hat....or the mesh Stetson. Definitely wear a hat to protect your skin!

I have a neighbor that goes in once a week for Mohs surgery. They take off thin layers of skin from her face. I "do not" want skin cancer. I also wear sun screen before I step outdoors, all year long....

• last month

Unfortunately protecting your face is not enough. Both of my DD's have had cancerous lesions removed from their scalp. They both have lots of dark hair and would not have expected to have to protect their scalp. The one DD that is outside with her kids has switched to hats from visors to protect her scalp.

I'm not quite so good about the sun protection. 😒

• last month

I wear a really big one from Sun Precautions for gardening, and I pack my Tilley one when I travel. I am also religious about applying sunscreen. My hair is cut in a pixie, so no hair issues with hats.

• last month

I keep looking for one that I like and I don't feel silly in, especially for when I'm mowing yard. Just never got used to wearing one. I do use a moisturizer with sunscreen but I should be wearing something more than that.

Right now I have a small white bump on my face, on the cheek. At first I thought it was a blemish, a white head, or from when I used an old outdated blush makeup. But it's been a couple weeks and it hasn't gone away. Yeah....I picked at it, like it was a pimple. Bad idea, I know. Nothing came out when I squeezed it. Thought I'd let it go and see if it cleared up on its own, but now starting to think a dermatologist might be in order.

• last month

I do wear a hat, either a *paper* (that's what the label says) brimmed, straw hat or a baseball cap. It's as much to protect my hair as my face - the sun yellows my silver terribly - so gardening, walking outside or any activity where I will not have access to shade gets a hat. I do my best to shake out the hat hair but I'm old enough that I don't really care anymore. After a full day gardening it's the worst but that is followed by shower/shampoo. I've worn mild sunscreen for years but have upped the SPF for my face significantly.

• last month

I'm rarely out in the direct sun during the day (don't like it and also worked for a dermatologist) unless when biking (helmet with visor) and traveling (hat). In both cases, after running my fingers through my hair it falls back into place after a bit.

• last month

I think I need to do more than just daily moisturizer with spf. i just am not comfortable in hats plus I have a pin head so finding hats that fit well is an issue. I do have a ladylike city hat, beach hat, and hiking packable straw with a strap to keep it from blowing away. just wish there were an invisible hat option.

• last month

I really hate hats: how they feel, how they restrict my vision, and what a mess they make of my hair. Maybe I can try out some of the suggestions here to see if they work better for me. I wear high SPF sunscreen if I'll be out in the sun for a while (beach, hiking, yard work, swimming, etc) but I definitely get sun. I did just buy a light weigh baseball cap from Columbia while in Florida so that I would have something while riding in friend's new boat on the waterways. I think for a hat, it was relatively comfortable and breathable.

lisaam thanked pricklypearcactus
  • last month

I used to loathe hats. My father would send me back in the house to get my church hat every time I tried to sneak into the car without it. But now I adore the ones I started buying many years ago -- it's an all around wide-brim style, made of cotton, has an inner drawstring to make it fit as needed, sturdy yet good-looking, packable, AND is certified +50% UV protection (blocking 96-99 % of the sun's rays).

I have probably a dozen now, in all colors of the rainbow,, and wear one every single time I am outdoors - gardening, shopping, restaurants, all the time. Spring, summer and autumn. Yes, I do get hat hair, but another benefit for ME with this hat is that it covers my age-related thinning hair so I feel that I am somewhat presentable when I am out in public. And protected from the sun...

Wish the company made a winter/cold weather hat in a similar style...

Check out Scala brand -- I get them from the Big A online. I get many compliments on my hats, from both men and women!

• last month

I try to wear one whenever I’m going to be outside longer then a few minutes. I have a variety to choose from. My most worn one is a packable straw hat I purchased from Talbots many years ago. I have hat hair no matter which hat I choose.

I try to always remove my hat in a bathroom, one that has a hair dryer and round brush available.

During a dermatologist appointment years ago, she found a few suspicious spots on my scalp. Upon removal, one was found hot. Taken care of with MOHS surgery. Before that I did wear visors while boating or playing tennis. After the spots were found, all visors were tossed. I’ve been trying to invent a long lasting, wash in/leave in sunscreen for the head since then. I’ll let you know when my Shark Tank appearance is set. 😊

My newest hat, purchased for a Kentucky Derby watching picnic (with games!) that we decided to skip. It will join the other 100 ball caps I keep at the lake.

lisaam thanked maddielee
  • last month

I wear big hats when in the sun. My fav got ruined last year when I got caught in a downpour during vacation. I just bought this one from J. Crew Factory to replace it. It is supposed to be ”packable”. It is to a degree but the creases don’t come out as fast as my old one did. And, yes, I know not to keep it packed for more than 24 hours.

lisaam thanked bbstx
  • last month

I've made myself get used to hats and mostly wear baseball or trucker style, and I have some bucket and wide-brimmed hats I wear for yardwork. I'm not taking it off, so I'm not concerned about hat hair. I keep my hair pulled back in a bun when wearing a hat anyway.

After learning how many skin cancers are on the scalp - and ears as well - I try to protect mine

I keep seeing that moisturizers and foundations with sunscreen don't offer the amount of protection people assume because they're used so sparingly. To get the full benefit, you'd need to put it on super thick - like pancake makeup.

I also stay in the shade as much as possible when outside. I carry an umbrella if I'll be walking around in the sun - like at a park or festival - BYO shade 😀

lisaam thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • last month

I wear a hat often, with my thin hair, it's a necessity. But I find that if I mousse my hair after I dry it, it's less prone to hat hair and easier to fluff up again.

lisaam thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • last month

I do wear a hat when out in the sun for protracted periods of time. If i have one on for more than an hour I either have to leave it on for the rest of the day or go home and wash my hair.

lisaam thanked Kswl
  • last month

I always wear a baseball cap when running or hiking regardless of the weather. When gardening I just wear a visor.. But when I'm out for a social walk I only wear sunglasses and always my sunscreen. But yes, for the scalp I should be protecting it as well.

lisaam thanked blfenton
  • last month

I'm a gardener. I sweat too much to wear a hat. Even a rolled bandana wrapped around my forehead doesn't help much.

lisaam thanked Judi
  • last month

I order from Outdoors Tribe. They are packable, washable, and have a string and spot for a ponytail. Also have a variety of colors which is nice. Just wore them to the music festival.

lisaam thanked gsciencechick
  • last month

schoolhouse...I would encourage you to see a dermatologist. I had a spot on my cheek and thought it was a pimple. I made an appointment with a dermatologist for something else, and she said the "pimple" spot was concerning to her. She did a biopsy and to make a long story short, a few weeks later I was having Mohs surgery. It has been three weeks now since the surgery and it is looking better every day.

I've never been one for basking in the sun, but have always been a gardener. Sometimes, wearing a hat, other times not. So, I would encourage anyone to protect themselves as the climate is getting hotter and hotter.

gsciencechick...I love that hat!

lisaam thanked orchidrain
  • last month

I do not sunbathe, but I spend alot of time outdoors. I always use a high SPF on my face, not only can sun cause skin cancer, but it is aging. I use sunscreen under my moisturizer and/or makeup, not a makeup/moisturizer containing sunscreen. That is not enough protection, IMO. I have had a spot of basal cell on my nose for which I had MOHS surgery. Now there is a new method of removal called "Gentle Cure". There are few locations offering it in the US, but we actually have one near us. It's also important to have screenings to check for skin cancer. I do use sunscreen all over if I am going to be outside. I prefer a visor and if at the beach, etc. we take our umbrella.

• last month

Dermatologists in my area are SO booked up- for months. The one time I got in was because I was worried about a spot on my other cheek that I thought was shingles. My doctor got me the appt. to have it checked out shingles or no. Not shingles, and it went away but took awhile.

This morning the worrisome spot on my right cheek is very small, more red and crusty. I'm tempted to pick at it, but I'll leave it alone for now. Will keep an eye on it. Thanks.

lisaam thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • last month

This is an important thread. Thanks, lisaam.

schoolhouse — leave that blemish alone! Maybe put a bit of Aquaphor on it.

I have had to wear brimmed hats for decades because the sun bothers my eyes. I could never understand how others could face toward sunlight. I usually looked good it hats because I had an angular face with high cheekbones. Alway hat head/hair but if I have a ponytail, that helps. The shape of classic ”tennis” hats worked best, bucket hats not so much. And I find it’s getting more difficult to find good casual hats (affordable ones) that are not cheaped out to that ”one size fits all.” nonsense.

Once when touring old building on a vacation in So America, I bought a very wide brimmed straw hat. Because of the wide brim, I did not notice a low doorway and really whacked my head on the stone and saw stars! I don’t like hats with deep brims (I am a birdwatcher and gardener and boater).

When gardening or outdoors, I often have to apply DEET to the brim of the hat, so prefer the cotton or blend that is washable.

My hair is thinning a lot and very fast. Each hair is very thin — like a cat hair or spider web. I am in competition with Annie over who will have the last hair standing.

DH and I both have oodles of brimmed hats. When we find good ones on sale, we purchase a dozen. I’ve lost some faves, so now put my initials and phone # inside my favorites.

I had to see a dermatologist last year and made an appointment at the dermatology clinic of a teaching hospital. Quite a long wait time, however, I had a pretty good idea what my diagnosis was an made that clear when I booked the appointment. The doctor had an opening and read my guess diagnostic note and so I got an appointment earlier.

My guess was correct and I had the thing removed. It was not a ’serious’ five alarm lesion, in fact a very indolent one; but I was happy to be rid of it.

The clinic was very well run, busy, but not at all rushed or frenetic. I’m going to make an appointment for DH.

• last month

The only time I wear a hat is on the beach. And that is only a recent change for me. I love the feel of the sun on my face. Yes, I know, I know. Thankfully, I seem to take after my mom. She spent every day of every summer on the beach where I grew up. There was never sun screen in my house. Was that even a thing back then? She never had skin cancer and lived to 92. I do get my skin checked once a year at the dermatologist and thankfully nothing of concern (I'm 63).

For travel, I have one of those hat clips that holds my hat on my personal bag which slips over my roller carryon. So I don't have to pack the hat in my suitcase and worry about it being crushed.

• last month

Like lisaam, i have a small head, and I have fine, straight hair. IF I can find a hat that fits. that doesn’t make my head disappear, and looks okay, good luck getting it to stay on, because they just slide around on my hair and blow off in a breeze. And then I’m left with the hat hair.

• last month

jsk, thank you for the hat clip tip! I am rarely without a hat, and the clip is just the thing for restaurants after sunset, or if I am seated in shade.

I have a lot of hats like the one bbstxposted. I like that the brim can be rolled up so it doesn't impede vision, and down for more coverage.

• 29 days ago

I always wear a straw hat when gardening or mowing the lawn, And I have a straw hat in every car for just in case. I like Christys Crown, Nine West and other brands of hats with ribbons and adjustment strings.

lisaam thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 29 days ago

Yes, I always wear a hat outside, and my fine hair is very prone to hat head. If I have to go somewhere, I typically will switch from sun hat to ball cap. I have on occasion flipped my hair over and while upside down, direct a blow dryer onto my scalp to lift it a bit, then do whatever I can to resurrect it, i.e. maybe adding more product, like mousse, at the roots to provide some lift.

Schoolhouse, definitely check with a derm and make sure your bump is nothing serious. But there is a very common [with age] growth you can get called sebaceous hyperplasia. It is similar to what you're describing and is harmless.

lisaam thanked Bluebell66
  • 29 days ago

I'll have to find a tape to meause my head. (Do most women have their hat/head size at the tips of their tongues?)

Shoes, socks, bras, shirts, … ”One Size Fits All” (coming soon)

The ”bucket” hat shape is blah, but cheaper and easier to make than the segmented ”tennis hat shape. It is difficult to find the all-cotton tennis hat style these days. and that are made in different sizes.

I’m particular about my hats — especially everyday casual hats. The brim cannot be too floppy or too wide or too narrow. I’m serious.

I’ve considered making my own, but I’d use up yards of fabric and materials getting it just right. And yet, I may be forced to or find an experienced sewer/constructionist. And it’s not as though I have nothing else to do.

I did create a prototype doubel thick fleece beanie. Blaze orange (hunting or ”Don’t Shoot Me”) but it was my first and the size came out to fit a newborn.

Got any friends who take their 1 month old hunting? The price is good and it is double fabric and comfy.

• 29 days ago

Gosh, like, never. I used to as a fashion statement. I have a few visors for outdoor activities. In a pinch, DH collects hats when we travel so there is always one to borrow.