SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_668663895

Basement or 1 1/2 storywith Shed Dormers

Charles K
last month

I'm trying to get a general idea of projected costs of building a main floor with a second level (1 1/2 story) where ceiling is vaulted to allow a second floor and slab. Larger shed dormers to allow for more space.

The second option would be the same look (looks like 1 1/2 story, but just using roofing trusses and then adding a basement downstairs.

Details

1. rectangle, 30' x 45', just a box, 8/12 pitch except shed dormers (3/12)

2. Walkout Basement would be likely be partial, extra 800 ft2 with slab for remainder of building

full bath whether upstairs example or downstairs example (FYI concrete is $179 per yard) with basement walls 10 ft high

3. There will not be an upstairs AND and basement, I will not have both

4. Two extra rooms if upstairs or downstairs, plus exercise room and storage still about 800 ft2 finished

5. Will use Ductless heating cooling downstairs, but may do HVAC if I don't do basement. If adding ductwork, etc. causes costs to sore due to added complexity, I'd just do ductless upstairs

6. One room in both scenarios is a recording studio so a lot of soundproofing, sound decoupling, and venting for fresh air will be needed

7. 2x6 construction of walls with highest rating insulation and basement would be sound proofed as much as possible by decoupling basement ceiling from the floor joists of main level and insulation.

would do traditional pour basement downstairs.

8. I will have subcontractors preparing lot and pouring foundation.

9. I'll be doing all the plumbing for flooring in basement and all work except for preparing and pouring concrete.

10. I will do all the work upstairs from beginning to end except the framing.

11. I'll do all the siding ( vertical board/baton style) with Hardy boards. Framers will do the windows including windows in basement if we go basement route.

12. Upstairs would be hardwood flooring and basement flooring would be some tile like floor (both mid-grade

13. Water heater will be in basement or on second floor.

14. Everything else will be of similar finished materials so those would be comparable.

I hope that I've been specific enough to answer questions for helping you give me an idea of the costs between the two. If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Comments (8)