SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

winter project, many pics - new ebay & cl 1/2 bath

My3dogs ME zone 5A
12 years ago

Hi! Those of you who have seen pics of my house know that it's mainly furnished with vintage finds from eBay and Craigslist. This 3.5 x 7.5 half bath 'replacement' in my unfinished 'cellar' (a Maine term) is no exception.

My 1937 cape came with a VERY rustic bath 'area' in the cellar. A wall hung toilet from the 40s, a shower stall with corrugated fiberglass walls, and a large laundry sink. Brace yourself for the starting point -

My Sam checking out the area where carpenter friend Jimmy and I have taken out the toilet. You see the fiberglass shower wall to the right, where I used to store garden hoses and snow tires!

The overall area before shower floor was sledge hammered out.

I demoed the shower (dropping my hammer on my nose in the progress) and this is after we started hammering out concrete.

Old shower plumbing prior to being pulled out

Former raised shower floor dug out and filled in. See where base of old toilet was on the left.

PROGRESS - The outline of the new room, with the $600 Toto toilet that I bought from a house flipping friend for $75. You also see the Craigslist $30 bureau from the late 1800s that I restored for the vanity.

Sheetrock is up, and Jimmy does his first tile job! I showed him what I wanted for a pattern; he carefully plotted it out on a sheetrock scrap, did lots of tile cutting, and here it is. I did the grouting.

Pic of the vanity/bureau restored. Jimmy cut out every drawer to accept the sink plumbing so there is storage in all of them.

Seeing how things fit - the hall tree mirror (free) was from my late ex in-laws home in NY. They were going to leave it when they moved to Maine, but I got it and stored it in the cellar for many years. The shallow soffit at left is for plumbing that couldn't be moved. HAD to add a window, and got a great deal.

After much angst over a wallpaper choice, I decided on 'Modern Paisley' from a book called Modern Gentleman. I wanted this room to be somewhat masculine, as we referred to it as 'Jimmy's office'. The silk fabric from my stash became my WT. I had brought that remnant locally for $10 over a year before the bathroom was even thought of! After I bought the wallpaper I remembered it, and it blends beautifully.

Wallpaper is up, and vanity, sconces and mirror are installed. St Cecilia granite top is a remnant from a local stone yard. Sconces are Minka Lavery Aspen, that I made a 'best offer' for on eBay and got for close to half their price. I chose them as they went well with the iron hooks on the mirror, and their X design in front went well with the diamond shape of the mirror. That is also why I wanted to install the tile ($1.48 each from Home Depot) on the diagonal. Faucet is American Standard, with a retail of $400 +. I paid $129 on eBay. The sink is Kohler 'Serif' - another fabulous online deal.

Above the toilet - an old shelf from a huge 'summer cottage' in the Prout's Neck area of Maine. The owners were doing a reno, and didn't want it, so a painter took it and I bought it from him via CL for $30.

The fishing creel was my late Dad's, and he tied the flies in the tin above it. The antlers are from a deer he shot. Next to them is an antique shaving mug from England (eBay) and shaving brush. Framed scrimshaw on the bottom, with an old book called 'Naughty Puppies' above it. The 'Keep Calm and Carry On' is a tribute to Jimmy who put up with a lot during this project! We had some creative differences at times. In front of that is a 1920's aspirin tin from eBay.

I later added 2 more finds. A leather collar stud box from eBay and an antique Chloroform bottle. I threaten Jimmy with that, but the glass top won't come off. Four male friends helped with the bathroom, plumbing, electrical, etc, and that box is a tribute to them. It reads 'A Stud In Hand Is Worth Two Under The Bed'!!

Wall art, all from eBay. An 1872 oil of a Brittany. I have three of these dogs and this one looks very much like my Joey.

Two antique lithographs from eBay that I framed in frames that a friend made me years ago. Wild turkeys were in my yard outside the window every day of the project, and the guys were fascinated by them.

The Toto toilet that started it all, on the old drain, but rotated 90 degrees from the way the old toilet had faced. I had the metal wastebasket and covered it with a scrap of wallpaper.

And last, the WT and the a piece of stained glass from Craigslist to add privacy. I saw the glass in Feb, and the far away seller said she'd bring it to my area as she traveled here often. It took til April to get it due to snow storms every day she planned to come. She even took $10 off the price of it, as she said I had waited so long to get it!

So this is my new re-used, recycled, eBay and Craigslist half bath/Jimmy's office! I hope you enjoyed the tour.

Comments (48)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths