SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Vege “Alt” Meats, Fishes, Poultry

John Liu
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

A ”Konscious” brand Poke Bowl with “plant-based tuna” ambushed me in the frozen aisle at Whole Foods and forced me to take it home. So I ate it.

Actually, DD and I are boycotting ahi tuna for environmental reasons, and are thus interested in any alternatives to that delicious fish. So I ate it.

The ”tuna” cubes looked the part; red, slightly translucent, a bit jiggly, like raw ahi tuna is. Unfortunately, they didn’t have the texture or toothfeel of raw tuna, being more like a soft gummy vitamin, or the taste, which is interesting because I’d think there are artificial flavors for practically anything. Maybe the brand konsciously eschews artificial flavors.

Which made me wonder. Have you tried, or heard of, any alternative versions of fish, poultry, pork, lamb, etc - or of beef, other than ground beef, which Impossible Burger and Beyond Meat do a passable job on, in my opinion. One of those is much better than the other, but I can’t recall which, other than it’s the one with the plant-derived heme. That was meant to be a question (?)

The topic is interesting (to me), since I grew reading way too much science fiction and was convinced that by 2001 we’d all be eating synthesized mush from plastic trays - or Soylent Green (“made from people!”) - or perhaps each other, depending on how hopeful or dystopian the story was.

In books of the science fiction genre, no-one is blissfully living off organic crops or paying snout-to-tail respects to free range animals. Scrounging bites from acid spraying sentient plants before fighting off, and then eating the blaster-grilled remains of, a seven-legged carnivorous alien, sure. But generally gastronomy is not the genre’s strong suit. Food is seldom mentioned, unless it is somehow technology based.

So here we are in 2024 and we have not been to Jupiter or Mars, not met and/or blasted even one alien, and not sent anything faster-than-light (quantum entangment experiments aside).

But we have some pretty weird foods. A Cheetos Puff is quite a strange creation. A microwaved Lean Cusine and a paper cup of vending machine cappucino are not that far from the trays of food that soundlessly emerged from the dining room wall on the Enterprise. I myself have squeezed plenty of carbohydrate gels from plastic tubes. What we don’t have is a good selection of animal protein, that doesn’t require carrying pigs and mackerel on your spaceship.

So I’m wondering what you’ve heard of on this score?

Comments (22)