What's in your freezer?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (57)
Related Discussions
Freezer marinades for Chicken? plus recipe
Comments (2)Let me know what you think Ruthie...I just sort of came up with it while throwing things together (isn't that always the way?). Honestly, I was kind of suprised it tasted so good the first time...generally my "experiments" need a couple tries to be palatable. LOL You might need to play around with the amounts a bit... I can't use the bottled marinades - they have too much salt/spices in them, and whatever I make has to be healthy enough for the dogs too (which is good, 'cause it's healthier and cheaper to make stuff from scratch). :-)...See MoreWhat to keep in deep freezer vs. refrig/freezer?
Comments (2)I think I'd keep the baby food in the refrigerator freezer. I envy your small freezer. Mine is just too big now that the kids are gone. It's half full of frozen water bottles. And, you might start thinking about this just because the freezer doesn't run as often when it's full. Freezeing water has also saved me during a couple of power outages. Once it was out for a day and a half due to a flood. I think I'd keep my baby food in the refridgerator where it's convenient. Currently I use my refridgerator freezer to hold ice trays, flours, cornmeal, and what I call tidbits. This is small containers of things like chopped ham, shredded beef and pork, onion, cooked chopped bacon, bell pepper, bread crumbs, my homemade pizza crusts. Tidbits are the things I can grab for a quick meal without having to run from one room to another. For example when I make biscuits, I'll put it off if I've got to down to the big freezer for flour to refill the canister. Everything else is pretty much in the big one. I have my freezer divided into three sections. Left is frozen veggies, middle is my prepared items, right is meat and poultry. Stuff like icecream goes on top where it fits. When I had kids at home I used to burry stuff like that or it would be gone in a day. I don't buy frozen pizza or other convenience foods anymore. I really don't do once a month cooking as such. I do batch cooking. If I make spaghetti sauce, I make enough to eat that day and two are frozen for later. Same with beans, rice, mashed potato etc. I also freeze cartons of cooked ground beef. I freeze prepared, uncooked burgers for DH to grill. I buy large peices of sirloin and make steaks and roasts. I cook a large quantity of pork or beef at one time so that I can freeze burritos or barbeque. You'll just have to play with it and see what works out for you. I like to cook but I also have other things to do. I end up cooking from scratch about three days a week. Other nights it's scrounge. That's DH's word for throw together some left overs or grab something already made from the freezer. Again I don't have kids around anymore so that makes a big difference in how much time I have to spend planning and preparing meals....See MoreI'm restocking my freezer; What would be going in yours?
Comments (24)lyra, sounds good! I love the idea of keeping peppermint schnapps in the freezer. I'm going to have to try it when the weather heats up again. I don't usually like frozen pizza, but you make me think I should try freezing one of my own partially prebaked crusts. Thanks for a good idea. kitchendetective, I personally haven't made a lot of pesto and frozen it. That would be a good question for the rest of the cooking forum! Start a new post, and you'll get some answers as I know there are a lot of pesto makers here. Here you go terri and dixiedog; I hope they turn out well for you. Note: I cook the broccoli part way as it finishes cooking in the oven. I'll use salted butter to cook the onions in, and because the bacon is also salty, I don't use any extra salt in the mixture. If I don't use peppered bacon, I'll throw in some Penzey's Creamy Peppercorn seasoning. Twice Baked Potatoes 5 lb. bag of russet potatoes (approximately 11 potatoes) 1 (16 oz.) carton sour cream 1 package sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups) 1 package Hormel Peppered Bacon ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter 2 large onions, diced 2 cartons frozen chopped broccoli Broccoli water for deglazing pan Bake potatoes at 380 degrees F on convection, about 35-40 minutes. Let potatoes cool for about 15 minutes, then slice in half. Scoop the pulp from the potato and reserve in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter, chop the potato pulp until fluffy. Put the skins on a wire rack and return to the oven for 10 minutes (on convection) until dried and crispy. Put aside to cool. Add 2-3 Tablespoons water to each package of frozen chopped broccoli and cook broccoli in the microwave for 3 to 3-1/2 minutes. Add to the potato mixture, reserving the water for deglazing the pan that had the onions. Dice the onions and sauté in the butter until golden brown. Add these to the potato pulp. Deglaze the pan with the water from the broccoli, and add to the potato mixture. Add the sour cream, peppered bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, and a light sprinkling of salt to the mix, and stir together well. Stuff the cooled potato skins with potato mixture, until all has been used. Freeze the stuffed potatoes and vacuum seal. Preheat the oven to 380 degrees F, convection. Put the frozen potatoes into the oven and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes from frozen....See MoreIf your kitchen is small, or open, where do you put your freezer?
Comments (36)I think it's 6-1/2 or 7 x 10 including the attic stairs, so it's not teeny tiny, but not huge, either. There are lots of houses in this area from this era with this kitchen but they did a far better job of making it feel spacious and useful than the others. Here's a flip with the same basic kitchen: And yeah, I've been looking at another house where I could double the number of base cabinets by going down to a 24" range, all the way from one cabinet to two, whoohoo! I've lived with smaller kitchens than this, but I think they did a super job of making a small kitchen live large....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNStay Cool About Picking the Right Refrigerator
If all the options for refrigeration leave you hot under the collar, this guide to choosing a fridge and freezer will help you chill out
Full Story
HANUKKAHDIY Dreidel Wall Hanging Puts a New Spin on Hanukkah Decor
Create a custom silkscreen-like decoration with this playful pattern, fabric and freezer paper — no sewing machine required
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNSmall Luxuries: Wine Refrigerators Offer Handy Storage
No more tossing whites in the freezer at the last minute. Get the facts on wine coolers so you can just chill before guests arrive
Full Story
HOME TECHIce Cubes Are Obsolete! New Technology Is Way Cooler
Chill drinks the smarter way than using messy old ice, with these new home tech solutions
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESGet the Look of a Built-in Fridge for Less
So you want a flush refrigerator but aren’t flush with funds. We’ve got just the workaround for you
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME21 Ways to Waste Less at Home
Whether it's herbs rotting in the fridge or clothes that never get worn, most of us waste too much. Here are ways to make a change
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN20 Kitchen Must-Haves From Houzz Readers
We asked you to tell us your top kitchen amenities. See what popular kitchen features made the list
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGHow to Clean Your Fridge, Inside and Out
Keep your refrigerator clean and fresh, while you gain storage space and lose those ‘UFOs’
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSKitchen Rehab: Don’t Nix It, Fix It
A small makeover makes a big impact in a traditional kitchen in Atlanta with great bones
Full Story
Elizabeth