SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Help with luncheon menu ideas. Warning, death related

l pinkmountain
3 months ago

Next month marks the ninth anniversary of my Mom's abrupt death. I usually try to busy myself with some kind of positive project during this time. Also, a friend of mine just lost her mother rather abruptly too, so I want to involve her. They just finished building and moving into a lovely home with a mother-in-law suite for her Mom, and then her Mom got diagnosed with advanced colon cancer and was gone two months later. Wo(Man) schemes, God laughs. Anyway, I'm going to invite some of my local childhood friends who are missing their mothers to a luncheon at my house where we can reminisce. I also want to use some of my Mom's vintage servingware.

I need help with the menu because I'm not very good at accommodating picky eaters. My palate is so diverse that even when I think I'm making something plain Jane, it ends up not working out. Like last night I made fruit salad with pears, apples and peaches with some coconut and maraschino cherries, but I used whole vanilla yogurt for a dressing, and my Dad apparently didn't like the taste of the yogurt and literally scraped the dressing off each piece of fruit before he ate it.

So far this is what I have. Ideas and critiques welcome. I want it to be simple though, and largely make ahead.

*Bellinis?? Plain prosecco?

*Salmon mousse on a bed of mixed greens using my Mom's vintage fish mold. I want to do this, but some of my guests might not like fish, period . . . So I need something else for them.

*Rye bread squares

*Kale salad with quinoa and ricotta salata, from Smitten Kitchen. https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/03/kale-and-quinoa-salad-with-ricotta-salata/ Wondering about kale salad maybe being too "out there" for some folks. It's a delicious salad, designed to win over kale skeptics . . .

*Another option would be a Waldorf coleslaw that I made last week. It had scallions, cabbage, shredded carrot, apple, walnuts, raisins and a sour cream and mayonnaise dressing with a smidge of lemon and sugar. I also added a little shredded fennel. Could add celery . . .

*Something using my Mom's copper chafing dish for folks who don't like fish. I want to make those old school meatballs or sausages in the sauce with something like mustard and grape jelly, but not sure. I don't eat meat and have never really had them. Anyway, this needs to be something the unadventurous will like. I thought about wings but too messy, but maybe I can find boneless wings . . . I'm out of my element on this part.

*Crudite tray with dip that I buy pre-made from the store

*Should I do a shrimp platter? That's very old school. Wondering if shrimp will be OK with the picky eaters. I know some are allergic to it, last time I had a luncheon I ended up having a guest who was allergic to the shrimp in the salad. Luckily I had other things, but it was supposed to be the show stopper. It stopped her from eating it! Maybe guacamole and chips as an alternative?

*Cranberry bar cookies. Not sure on this. They are delicious and pretty to look at. But maybe I should go with something more plain. My Mom made blondies with butterscotch chips. I'm not a huge fan but maybe others are. Another thought was my grandma's spicy molasses cookie recipe or hazelnut cookies which are traditional Dutch tea cookies and my Mom was dutch. They can be made ahead but are not an easy thing to make, since you have to roll them out and cut them and I already will be doing a lot of food fussing. That's why a bar cookie appeals to me . . . Another easy peasy thought was those Pepperidge Farm fancy assorted cookies, Mom always served those. I might appreciate that since the main courses will take a lot of advance prep . . .

*Coffee and tea

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor