SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

going to southeast Asia - what food related items to buy?

gellchom
14 years ago

We leave early Weds. for an amazing trip to southeast Asia, to celebrate my mom's 80th birthday, with her, my husband, my brother, and brother-in-law (and NOT the kidz!). We'll be on a ship for 2 weeks, but we will be spending time in Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, and Hong Kong.

I know!

I already always get a cookbook from any country I haven't visited before. It's a great souvenir; they are useful (outside of a few in alphabets I can't read and a few that are really dorky), easy to pack or ship, and best of all I don't have to find a place to display them. Plus I used to have to find a local bookstore, which meant an interesting trip into a non-tourist area, but now they are everywhere, even in (sometimes amusingly mangled) English.

But besides cookbooks, what do I have to buy -- spices, cooking/serving items, etc., from these places? What have you found that you are SO glad you bought? It's so much fun to bring home things you really use. And what would make good small gifts for foodie friends?

We're more sightseers than shoppers. But most of us like to cook, so there will be more tolerance than usual for shopping.

Comments (59)