SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hasrul_aizan

Old Roses from the Island of Borneo, Southeast Asia

Hasrul Aizan
7 years ago

Hello, I am new here, but have been reading the forums for quite some time now.

I haven't been able to identify the roses that my grandmother grew and now myself which I have propagated through cuttings. I have been reading the classification of old garden roses throughout the history, the Gallicas, Damasks, Portlands, Albas but I can't seem to classify my roses from the group. The islanders called it the Village Roses, and they smell absolutely divine, sweet smelling and in the past, we extract the rose oils to make a cooling summer drink and it taste quite sweet! Often, when I was growing up I'd ask my grandmother to make the rose drink for me.

Here is some photos of the Rose that I have kept. Perhaps someone here could identify or classify what group it belongs to.

This is the first rose, it roots easily from cuttings and does handle our 95 Farenheit weather outside. It has good resistance against black spot. The leaves I would say feels quite leathery, thick. I suppose its well adapted to the tropical weather here.

The second variety that I have has a more ruffled and takes a pom-pom shape look, but similarly strong magenta coloration. Equally strong and sweet fragrance wafting the air. Compared to my David Austin roses whom have the "traditional old rose" fragrance, this one has a stronger smell, like cotton candy smell.

Looking forward for an identification! Thanks!

Comments (32)