SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

Saving Roses for your Family

Lisa Adams
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

As I read the post by Hasr Aizan, (Old roses from the Island of Borneo) I began thinking. He was asking for help in identifying two roses that he is growing from cuttings of his grandmothers roses. He had fond childhood memories of her making a wonderful drink from them.

I too, have many fond childhood memories of my grandmothers roses. She let me pick them to my hearts content. It wasn't until I began my own love affair with gardening and roses in particular, that I even wondered specifically what kind of roses they were. I'm not even sure she knew the exact names of them. They were simply referred to as "The tiny pink ones" or "The Garage Coverer". By the time I realized how much growing cuttings from her roses would have meant to me, they were both long gone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I encourage you to help pass along your special roses. It doesn't matter if they are rare or not. If a rose bush has been a real part of your life, your children's lives, or your grandchildren's lives, find a way to pass it down. (I know, some are easier than others to propagate from cuttings). Don't leave it up to them to ask for themselves. Perhaps mothers could help pass along grandmas rose to their own children, by growing cuttings themselves. Let them know that this Rose is your favorite because of the family ties to it. Make sure your children know exactly where it came from and the memories attached to it. Use its cut flowers to make bouquets and display them on the family dinner table. Give them bouquets of it for their own homes. This will help build the family tie to it. The kids will be developing their own memories and associations to this Rose.

My kids are all in their 20's and have no interest whatsoever in growing roses. I'm not concerned about that at all. I had no interest in growing roses in my 20's either. If my own mom would have taken cuttings from my grandmothers rose bush and grown it, I could have it now. We both (my mom and I) often say that we would love to grow her "Pink Garage Coverer" now.

Forgive me for rambling on and on. It just brings me to tears that no one had the foresight to preserve an important part of our family's history. Make sure that special bush is there somehow, for that someone in your family, for someday........ Lisa

Comments (20)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES