SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniel_gonzalez8050

Convert formal dining to home office....help pls!

Dan G
3 months ago

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to a very nice, traditional 1970s house and am wanting to convert the formal dining room into my home office. See photos. Right now our house is kind of am "empty canvas" in terms of design style, but it has been renovated in key places so it has a modern feel.

The room size is about 13' x 16', so pretty good size.

I want to add some sliding doors to the entryway, and the room to have a desk and sitting area as well.

I am leaning towards a masculine home office look (thinking of painting walls a dark color), but any advice of design ideas would be great.

Thank you!

Comments (49)

• jck910
    3 months ago

I would use French doors rather than sliding doors. Paint the walls a dark Hunter Green. Face the desk to the windows about where the sofa is now. 2 comfy chairs with a table between on the 13' wall. Art on the walls maybe curtain panels.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Clean up the mess so you can measure, draw put the entry in, the windows, accurately, all feet and inches,,,,,,,,,,,, and I'll give you a plan: )

Office.how much "work . a lap top? Storage ( seems you may need that )

Printer, files be specific

• Related Discussions

How Many of You Have A Formal Dining Room?

Q

Comments (41)
    When and if the kitchen is ever finished, we will have a breakfast nook at the south end of the "living room." There will be a window seat, a round table, and two low chairs opposite the window seat. There will be a small island in the kitchen that will seat two people, and the (yet unfinished) four-seasons sun porch will have the "big" (seats 6-8) dining table and buffet set up as a "dining area" on the north side of the sunporch. The south side will have the corn stove, loveseats, and recliners. So, nope, no formal dining room, but we'll eventually have several comfortable "eating/visiting" areas.
    ...See More

Crazy to convert old tudor house to open floor plan?

Q

Comments (16)
    I also lived in a small but charming 1930's Tudor many years ago, and like you, had the formal living room - formal dining room - tiny kitchen floorplan. I loved the charm, but missed the openness and space of our prior home. Then I got divorced and kept the house, but ended up with half the furniture I'd previously had. And only half the money. So remodelling was not in the budget! What I ended up doing was moving the remaining casual furniture and TV from the 'family room' (a back bedroom) into the formerly-formal living room. (It was right inside the front door.) I arranged the furniture the best I could and resolved to learn to live with it - though it didn't look half bad! Then, since I lost the dining room set in the divorce and had a two-year-old son, I bought an attractive but sturdy and child-friendly table and chairs and set that up in the formerly-formal dining room. Another surprise -- it looked good. Then something amazing happened. I fell in love with my house! I began spending the majority of my time in the house's prettiest rooms, and actually lived in the house the way it was meant to be lived in -- living in the living room and eating in the dining room - every day! All it really took was relocating the comfortable and livable furniture from the 'back' rooms to the front rooms. A pretty throw dressed up the 'shabbily-comfortable' couch, and a casual dining set changed the entire tone of the dining room. If you're spending your time in the basement, and not using the dining room, that's the problem that needs to be addressed! If your living room has the house's best architecture, use that room to live in. Move the TV up there, or if it's a ginormous honker, get a smaller one that won't take over the whole room. Try 'dressing down' your dining room first until it's a comfortable place to eat. Move the 'too good to use' furniture to the basement instead. Or use it anyway and give it a 'patina'. If the furniture is really good (and not merely 'fancy') it can take the use. Try that first before moving any walls -- You might be very happily surprised.
    ...See More

Convert formal dining and living room into bedroom and bathroom?

Q

Comments (2)
    Need a bit more info. Is this home on slab or is there a basement? If basement, is it finished off? Getting plumbing to create a bathroom would be biggest challenge. Multi- generational homes are becoming more and more popular with today’s aging population. So if you are in good location, resale should be fine.
    ...See More

letting go of formal dining room

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks everyone. If we did the remodel, there would be a wall at the entry and the remodeled room would be off the kitchen. There is a tiny laundry and a very tiny pantry in the house now. I think you're right that a buyer would expect a formal dining room. If I had a crystal ball and knew for sure we'd be staying, I'd get much more use out of the remodeled room, but that's an unknown so I'll leave it's use as a formal dining room.
    ...See More
  • Yvonne Martin
    3 months ago

Do rember to be consistent with the rest of the house, particularly where colors are concerned. You needn't match colors used elsewhere, but they should harmonize. Hunter green walls might be great, but so would teal or burgundy.

• Laura P
    3 months ago

+1 to the dark green, or more of a deep blue. If you don’t want to commit to a color, a darker neutral like a taupe would be nice.

With a space that large you will want to make sure the furniture scales or else it will feel empty or dwarfed. Think bigger desk, additional seating (sofa? Chairs), some kind of built ins could help fill the space as well. There are lots of hacks to do this somewhat affordably with ikea shelves too.

Some inspo pics attached

• maggieq
    3 months ago

Remove the chair rail for a less dining room look.

• KS
    3 months ago

I joked that every single time someone says they want a dark paint, I’m going to recommend Ben Moore Pacific Sea Teal :)

It is a stunning deep(!) inky green.

Thats going to be a wonderful home office!! I’d love built-ins with caramel/Cognac tones and brass!

• Dan G
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you for the ideas everyone!
    To clarify, this room is currently just storing the photoed items. The dark wood floors are brand new (by previous owner).
    Question: why does everyone favor French door vs sliding doors? Just curious.

Im thinking of keeping the rug as it apparently is a very expensive rug that my my mom left for me before she passed. Otherwise that’s it.

Here are some measurements (someone asked):

Room is 13 x16 ft.
    The wall with windows:

Looking at wall with windows starting on left side:
    44” to window then 68” (Space between walls), then 12” to wall.

Thanks again for all the help!

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

Post a drawing of the room - to scale with windows and doors- so the pros can place furniture for you.

Dark walls that complement the rug is a great idea. Can you post a close up of the colors? You need the walls to work with the rug, which is clearly the “star” of the room. I’m not convinced the dark green is the right color…

If you already have a desk or any other furniture you want to use, include their dimensions as well. You’ll get a lot of help that way.

• Laura P
    3 months ago

Agree, I would avoid green if keeping the rug! Maybe a more neutral but rich wall tone. Can definitely do the Carmel / cognac / brass mentioned above with that.

French doors are more timeless. Would a sliding door be more of a barn door?

• Dan G
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I was told a sliding door may be better for the space, but personally I'm open to both french doors and sliding doors. I do not think we want any windows on the doors however (so our toddler can't find me when I'm working lol.

I suppose it would best to use the barn-door hardware for the sliding mechanism.

I made a quick sketch (is that good enough?) and added some more photos for perspective. I think the door would have to open into the room (if French doors).

I will post a closeup of the rug tomorrow during the daytime. It is dark now and there's no light setup in that room unfortunately. I would say it has a dark red feel to it. I don't HAVE to use this rug, but if one thinks it can look nice in the space I would certainly use it.

I don't have an exact desk in mind yet, so I am open to that too. I definitely need a decent size desk for my 2 computer screens (I'm a physician and reviewing charts constantly.)

Also...if there was a small area to put my keyboard/music recording equipment that would be amazing (per my wife's request haha).

I can't thank you all enough!

Looking from inside room into doorway

Looking from outside into the room.

• Dan G
    Original Author
    3 months ago

More on the desk to better answer: yes I would need a small printer and perhaps a few storage options (drawers), but I'm hoping to keep this area looking clean and presentable as much as possible, so I will not likely be keeping stacks of paper anywhere. My work office is my ugly office lol.

I like using large monitors given the nature of my work, so it would not be a laptop, but a desktop with 2 screens. A concern I have is the cables from the monitors looking ugly. Thank you!

• knunez57
    3 months ago

I love the rug! It’s rich and elegant. Glad you are keeping it - it’s going to give your office character. If you use a rolling chair you may want a chair mat to protect the rug.

Dan G thanked knunez57
  • Valinta
    3 months ago

Leaving the chair rail affords the opportunity to paint walls above darker, and below rail light.

Dan G thanked Valinta
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

If you do French doors, I would do sheer curtains so that you have that total home/work disconnect when you are not working, and when you are working, you can avoid being distracted every time someone walks in the front door or uses the staircase. Although if you have kids, it’s probably like a herd of elephants going up and down the stairs.

Dan G thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • Dan G
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you very much everyone.

I appreciate all the great ideas. Just having a hard time deciding!

My goal is to have my computer workplace and a nice sitting area mainly. I want this part of the house to be where my computer station is, as well as a sophisticated area to sit with friends/business partners. That is the main goal.

Is the 13 x 16.9ft space not enough for this?

The keyboard stuff I mentioned is by no means mandatory, just an ask.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Good grief?! I just showed you what fits! Scroll up!

Every single one is from the dimensions and drawing you finally provided,: )

Feet and inches do not lie, the room is not 20 x 40.

You do not want barn doors

You have stated what you need to work from home

"I like using large monitors given the nature of my work, so it would not be a laptop, but a desktop with 2 screens. A concern I have is the cables from the monitors looking ugly."

Hence? Use the back wall!!

If you don't want a console and tv?

Put two chairs where I have that

do this..............

and don't do this!

You can't pick anything because your nature is to put it anywhere, and leave it there while you "decide"

That I know from the pictures you posted.: )

Clear out the room, clear out your head.

Dan G thanked JAN MOYER
  • Dan G
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Yes, thank you very much Jan. I saw your drawings, very helpful.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Dan, we crossed so scroll UP

Dan G thanked JAN MOYER
  • Dan G
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I see it, thank you Jan. I like very much that first option you drew. I think I will likely do that!

Just moved to this house, so nothing currently in the room is reflective of what I am really trying to do. Movers just put things there for the time being.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

AMEN ! : )

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

Nice big space to accommodate work and music. Fantastic rug. Get cherry furniture and paint the room either a crisp white or a dark inky blue-black. Paint trim, shutters, and chair rail same color as the walls. Don't highlight them. An MCM type of look is great with your rug. Here are DWR furniture ideas but you can also find less expensive pieces with similar vibe.

My tech nerd friends convinced my husband to go from two or three monitors to one gigantic screen with multiple windows open. We just made the switch in his home office using a 55" TV as the screen. I presume you could find a set up that has the high pixels you need for radiology imaging and the size you need to compare multiple images side by side. Cleaner look having it wall hung and using a TV arm allows a lot of tilt adjustability.

Very big table desk on wall across from doorway. Edel Table - Grand from DWR has nice drawer and cable management holes if needed.

https://www.dwr.com/kitchen-dining-tables/edel-table-grand/2517916-3.html?lang=en_US

Hang monitors or large screen on wall with arms for flexible positioning. Get cable management covers and paint the same color as the wall.

Credenza or cabinets along back wall across from window - for printer and other supplies. I prefer a printer inside a cabinet but you could sit it on top if more your style. You can throw extra music cords, recording doo-dads or whatever else inside too. Hang guitars on the wall above. Edel Credenza.

https://www.dwr.com/storage-credenzas-sideboards/edel-credenza-75%22/2514133-2.html?lang=en_US

Area between windows for keyboard. Float a comfy chair and ottoman in the corner but out of the way of the door swing. A sofa is going to invite kids - make this a solo hang out space. Classic Eames chair and ottoman.

https://www.dwr.com/living-lounge-chairs/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman/5667.html?lang=en_US

Install solid wood double doors, no glass. Paint the exterior the color of the hallway walls, paint interior the color of the room. Barn doors are terrible for sound containment, plus you can't put anything against the walls where they sit on the interior of the room.

FURNITURE

ROOM INSPIRATION

Combining office and instruments.

Park Slope Townhouse · More Info

Music area behind door swing. (Not suggesting anything else about this room!)

Comfortable Cottage Style · More Info

Dark blue walls and cherry furniture

Hampton Blues · More Info

Dan G thanked Kendrah
  • Dan G
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you very much Kendrah. I like these ideas too. I'm a member of a band (performing at the SXSW music festival this year), so having that come into the decoration is also a cool option.

• Dan G
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Should I paint the ceilings in the same dark color, or leave them white? I was originally thinking of painting the ceilings the same color as the walls (I will add a chandelier, if you can see the wires are already there for it). Thank you!

• Ying Wang
    3 months ago

Hi Dan, I live in the SF Bay Area - a home office at 160" x 203" sounds like a dream:-)! As someone who once asked my husband to hide his audio equipment inside built-in cabinets, I would like to offer an alternative layout that would meet your wife's request. See below.

Notes:

(1) I strongly suggest that you use sliding bar doors that can open to both sides. The French doors are charming but they take up too much space, in my opinion.

(2) To avoid reflection on the monitors, the best location for the monitors are on the walls between windows. It seems like you use monitors all day, so this is important.

This layout uses quite a bit of built-in and can be expensive. If you are open to it, I have seen folks doing great job hacking the Ikea Alex drawer units & Billy Bookcases, by adding a new tabletops and moldings around the bookcases. Just search for "Ikea Alex hack" or "Ikea Billy hack" and you will find a lot of ideas (for example this one: https://thesommerhome.com/ikea-billy-bookcase-hack-the-most-frequently-asked-questions/). It is an inexpensive way to achieve a built-in functionality and look.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your remodeling!

Dan G thanked Ying Wang
  • Ying Wang
    3 months ago

Hi Dan, it looks like the proposed layout image did not work. See below.

Dan G thanked Ying Wang
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

The trouble with barn door? Not much sound proof, a lot of wiggle jiggle, and not suited to any colonial or even your purposes, and yet more so with a toddler in the house.

Get a contractor, and use solid pocket doors, in the existing five foot opening.

• Dan G
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you Ying, I also like this idea. My concern is the desk height and the windows...would the desk go across the windows and cover them?

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

What exposure does this room have? Strong sunlight can make it hard to do your computer work if the screens are in direct sunlight. If Zoom meetings are part of your work, you can get a 4 panel screen to help keep the sun from hitting the monitor. Jan’s layout gives you more control without spending a lot of money on window treatments.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

If you change entry to pocket doors,

put key board and whatever other music where i have couch? You'll have all you asked

Dan G thanked JAN MOYER
  • Ying Wang
    3 months ago

Dan, good question! I missed the height of the windows.

I would do the following: (1) Shorten the desk to just cover the 68" wall between the two windows. The desk should still be big enough for a desktop with 2 monitors. (2) Put the keyboard in front of the window close to the door. It is a nice spot to play some music after work. (3) Put a small bench under the other window as extra seating.

I really think the best spot for the desk is the wall between two windows, so you don't need to worry about the light reflection on your monitors.

Dan G thanked Ying Wang
  • Kendrah
    3 months ago

If you go with dark walls, I'd paint the ceiling as well. I'm a fan of an all or nothing with saturated colors. A white ceiling ends up just feeling like a lid. Though, I understand why some are afraid of committing to painting the ceiling dark.

You have excellent light control on your shutters and should be able to easily use them to reduce glare on your monitors if you choose to hang them on the wall across from the doorway. I wouldn't cram your desk in between the windows when you have so much space to play with. Empty the room. Get a folding table. Move it around to different places with your monitor on it and try working at different times of daylight and play around with the shades to see what works for you in reality. (Not just in all our minds!)

I often think pocket doors are hard to manage, wiggly, and don't block sound too well. So when we had them built in our apartment kitchen three years ago, I set out to eliminate those limitations. We splurged on really good Hefele door mechanisms for inside the wall, had very solid custom doors made, and got really good hardware. They are easy to use, great sound barriers, that feel rock solid. (Good smell proofing too! My husband sequesters himself in the kitchen behind closed pocket doors when he eats stinky fish or truffle oil.) If you can get really good ones built, do it. If not, then I would do regular hinged double doors.

Have fun playing at SXSW!

Dan G thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    Glory Iron Doors
    3 months ago

I want to recommend our GID iron french door to you if you're thinking about adding the door. The iron french door in black would be a good design for a home office. Glory Iron French Door

Dan G thanked Glory Iron Doors
  • bjstem
    3 months ago

The importance of storage in a home office can never be overstated. You simply cannot work effectively, if there is clutter and disorder. Built-ins with shelving and filing cabinets would be my top priority, and some great ideas for that have been shared here.

Dan G thanked bjstem
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

I like the desk at the back wall. Glare isn't an issue with shades on windows.

It makes a good focal wall, it is the shorter, less expensive wall.

Change to pocket doors if you like, but honestly? It probably isn't necessary

What you have to do? Is Accept the size of the room. Determine its MOST important use. Don't expect fabulous from work, every kind of music, and have another couple physicians in for a beer.

Dan G thanked JAN MOYER
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

Try not to make the room serve too many purposes - adding music as a function rather than decor accent may detract from the ability of the space to function as an office and seating space. In this digital age, you should not have too much need for storage. Before designing or purchasing storage equipment, identify what you will need to store. A shredder is usually much more valuable than a filing system. And maybe consider a safe for those sensitive items that you do keep.

• bjstem
    3 months ago

I somewhat disagree on the storage, in that I still maintain hard copies of legal documents, etc. for five years, in addition to electronic copies. For our home, file cabinets are essential, as are bookshelves, and I really hate the way freestanding file cabinets look.

• Hellogardener
    3 months ago

Dan, make sure to keep us updated on what you do😀

Dan G thanked Hellogardener
  • Dan G
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you all very much. I can't say that enough.

And yes I will keep you updated! I am actually getting a door-installer tomorrow to come and check out the space to get his recommendations for which type of door he thinks may be best.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

The OP knows how much storage space he needs.

• Dan G
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Hey everyone, here is the close up photo of the rug that was requested. I am going to start painting the room as my first step. Given the photo, what dark color would best? Thank you all!

• ptreckel
    3 months ago

I would pick up the tone of blue OR green. But much depends on the color of the cabinetry that you decide to install.

Dan G thanked ptreckel
  • RedRyder
    3 months ago

I love the deep olive. You need to get a couple of Samplize of the ones you’re considering. They can be moved around the room so you can see how the different exposures change the color.

SW has a nice green called Rock Garden you can look at.

The blue seems to be leaning towards a medium teal. That could be pretty too.

That rug is simply stunning.

Dan G thanked RedRyder
  • coray
    3 months ago

Maybe the slightly lighter green from the sort of triangle design at the top of the photo? Good luck!

Dan G thanked coray
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 months ago

I like the olive green too, also consider brown, unless you're going to use dark brown furniture.

Dan G thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Kendrah
    3 months ago

I wouldn't focus so much on matching any of the close up colors but rather look at the overall rug and what color would best compliment the great muddy red-pink color. I'd go for an inky deep blue. Get swatches from Sampilize and move them around the room to different walls and at different times of day and night. I think you will have a harder time picking the correct dark green for this room than you will picking a dark blue.

Ben Moore Racoon Fur is a blue black. It looks different in different light. Looks great with a variety of wood tones, as you can see in this pic.

Red Hook Kitchen · More Info

If you are stuck between blue or green tryInchyra - Farrow and Ball.

Farrow and Ball has some really great dark greens.

Dan G thanked Kendrah
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

Beautiful rug, I am leaning towards a green if you are going dark on the walls.

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

If this has already been said, ignore it - take the chair rail down when you paint. You want plain walls for your dark color. And the chair rail doesn’t add anything to the function of the room.

Dan G thanked RedRyder
  • bjstem
    3 months ago

I agree about the chair rail, and green is good feng shui for a study/office.

Dan G thanked bjstem