SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohgoodness

Crazy to convert old tudor house to open floor plan?

ohgoodness
15 years ago

I live in a 1930s tudor house. The first floor is very small, although the rooms are decent sized. We have a formal living room, formal dining room, and kitchen. I love my dining room. It is one of the reasons we bought the house but after living in it for 3 years (and already redoing the kitchen 2yrs ago) I'm starting to see that maybe we should've opened it up to make the floor plan flow better and feel more spacious. Husband wanted to do this when we did the kitchen and I flat out refused because I couldn't stand to lose the character of the dr. Now I'm reconsidering after realizing how much space is going to waste since we never use the dr or formal lr, we now spend most of our time in our basement which is getting kind of depressing after 3yrs. It could be done fairly easily without disrupting the kitchen remodel much. We would take the table out of our kitchen and just use dr as well as use the formal lr for a tv viewing which is very difficult now because the way the rooms are currently arranged there is no good, comfortable place to watch tv. Considered an addition instead, but that would eat up most of our yard and we are very hesitant to do that. WDYT?

Comments (16)