SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawkeyef

How would you add more character to this house?

Michelle
12 days ago

What would you add to give the front of this home more architectural interest, character, etc. Or does anyone have any advice on software I could use for mock-ups? Thanks

Comments (60)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    11 days ago

I’m on the “paint the gray white” bandwagon, and invest in a prettier garage door. Lovely house!!

• btydrvn
    11 days ago

Just painting the garage door gray …you will draw more attention to the interesting architecture..also unless you will really sit on the porch,a few good sized beautiful pots with seasonal flowers or evergreens trimmed in pretty shapes…will add an interesting …living …texture to the facade

• Related Discussions

How would you add more flooring to already installed hardwood?

Q

Comments (1)
    You have to remove some of the installed pieces to get the "fingers" to overlap. Consider having them put in cheap vinyl and carpet and do ALL the hardwood yourselves. It might be easier.
    ...See More

How can I add exterior character?

Q

Comments (9)
    Congratulations on your house purchase! I agree with others -- ditch the shutters. This is a contemporary style home not a "colonial" like we have everywhere here in Virginia, where shutters do sort of belong sometimes. Look at the style of the chimney -- not colonial/traditional but very contemporary. This is why IMHO the garage looks so odd since the window pattern is traditional and out of sync with the basics of the house. You might not want the expense of replacing the garage door right away when you will have so many other house expenditures, but hopefully the complicated window panes on it are modular and easily redone. I like your idea about the window box -- can totally see one large one or three smaller ones at the top edge of the balcony rail, after you make it the color of the house. I am imagining something filled with those succulents that thrive in So Cal, particularly the trailing ones for visual drama.
    ...See More

Wet bar VS storage - which would add more value to a midwest home?

Q

Comments (10)
    Where is this wet bar? In a family room? In a basement? In the living room? Location will make a difference. In certain locales (well away from the regular kitchen) it could be nice to have just as a extra sink and fridge for regular family living. In other locales (like right in the living room off the kitchen ) it could be redundant unless you are big entertainers.
    ...See More

How do I add some character to the front of home?

Q

Comments (7)
    I agree the Victorian style door should be replace with a more traditional one. A bright yellow would bring attention to it as the main door. Leave others white. I would move the Japanese Maples out into the yard and create an island planting to enjoy from the porches. Include perennials, annuals and evergreens. I think developing a lush garden is really going to set this charming house off. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • btydrvn
    11 days ago

The little table and chairs would be nice for morning coffee in the sun..somewhere more private in the back yard perhaps

• chispa
    11 days ago

"Mogul" is spamming every single post. Flag them as spam.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago

Ohhhhhhhh good call, Chispa

• Olychick
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I think if you start putting gray paint on the lower part it's going to look like a patchwork quilt. I don't agree that it looks like you ran out of paint. It looks like a deliberate and thoughtful (and attractive) paint job. I found this quite similar house painted all white. It's nice but yours is unique and much more attractive to me. But you can see how much the colorful flowers add.

• P.D. Schlitz
    11 days ago

I would either leave the two-tone as is (it has a modern vibe) or paint it all white. If you painted it all white, I think you’d have to find a way to incorporate some more color somewhere (maybe colorful fabric awnings on the 3 upper windows?). I kinda like the idea of cedar posts/ brackets a previous poster recommended. And some taller, flowering shrubs next to your porch would help a lot — I’d rip out what looks to be barberries (which are invasive anyways) and plant a row of something more substantial on each side.

I’m assuming the floor plan wouldn’t allow for the front door to be centered/ lined up with the front sidewalk? The current setup looks fine, but a centered front door might add to the overall symmetry/ balance of the exterior. But overall I think your house looks great and doesn’t need much!

• P.D. Schlitz
    11 days ago

I’m almost certain this is a newer construction home, built intentionally modern but with a nod to more traditional home styles. Nothing to be sorry about here, it’s a nice place.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    10 days ago

You already have enough architectural "interest and character", don't think you need more. It's not particularly my taste, but that's neither here nor there. The only thing you might consider is replacing the garage door with one with windows across the top.

• HU-187528210
    10 days ago

I agree that it looks fine as is. However I think I’d add a porch or even just a faux porch / railing over top to give that too right space some more dimension

• hudson1122
    10 days ago

Lots of great advice here. Planters, swing, paint posts…you could also add metal accessories to the garage doors. It really is a beautiful home.

• HU-187528210
    10 days ago

Inspiration

• happyleg
    10 days ago

Where's front door? On plant on porch. Lantern lights & one on each side of garage.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    10 days ago

I like it as is. I would put in some trees out front to have a bit of depth in the garden

• acm
    10 days ago

Much

larger

house

numbers

• Olychick
    10 days ago

I'm having a hard time understanding the negative comments. I really love this house. It's such a clean, simple, yet very nice design to my eyes. If I were house shopping, assuming I like the inside as much, this would definitely be one I'd consider buying. I'm so tired of a certain ubiquitous look in homes that some here are trying to turn this into with their suggestions.

• btydrvn
    10 days ago

Michelle asked for opinions on what can be done to add more character to this house….your interpretation of negative comments…could be simple attempts to give her ideas on how to do this…she is free to use or ignore any of them…

• btydrvn
    10 days ago

I agree it is a pretty cool house..but a few tweaks could make it more appealing to her🤷🏻‍♀️

• happyleg
    10 days ago

Not negative at all.

• Olychick
    10 days ago

All the comments about it looking like they ran out of paint seem negative to me. That plus Arcy's rude comment about getting their money back.

• Coll
    10 days ago

If possible I would move the cement entryway to line up with the door and/or add some sort of stone/brick overlay to the stairs/patio and possibly close in part of the patio with fencing. I would also put larger illuminating house numbers near the door and add hanging lantern lights in front of each patio window. For color, maybe colorful pots on each side of garage doors.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

Why is everyone asking where the front door is?It is just to right of the garage doors: )

• happyleg
    10 days ago

Thanks Jan for finding the front door I have cataracts and sometimes I can't see what's in front of me I thought that was a big picture window!

• Olychick
    10 days ago

my apologies Arcy. It is clearly new construction so I didn't even imagine you would be talking about a remodel.

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

Gorgeous modern farmhouse. So many varying ideas above.

I love the porch swing! I also love the idea of staining the posts.

There are a few great software programs to help you do mock ups. I am not a true techie so I assume there are even better ones out there....

Lumion, Planner 5D and Virtual Architect

• btydrvn
    10 days ago

A little matching cornice trim ..as seen under the “upper box” …might add another nice detail …beneath the top border strip …of the porch

• btydrvn
    10 days ago

Also, this seems like an ideal situation for a color on the door..understated or bold according to your taste…it is ideally placed ( in full view) for this ….as it is centered between the two posts…it could be a focal point …and lots of times this assists when giving friends directions…” it is the house with the bright red door” ( for instance)

• Olychick
    9 days ago

I think the door is all glass.

• btydrvn
    9 days ago

In the first picture the door appears to have a sizeable solid black border…the poster’s wish was to add a little interest.. I think a dash of color .. calling attention to the entrance…would do that

• btydrvn
    9 days ago

Hope Michelle is still around🤷🏻‍♀️

• J from Lakes Country
    9 days ago

Actually, I hope Michelle is sitting on her gorgeous porch enjoying a beverage and ignoring the mean-spirited comments about her lovely home. Offering helpful advice is great. Snarky insults should have no place here.

• Elizabeth Ann
    9 days ago

Michelle, your house is gorgeous. But who among us can leave well enough alone? I like the suggestion to paint the wood on your front door a contrasting color. The landscaping ideas are right on, too, especially ones that include layering plants and trees with container and bedding plants on and around porch. Maybe work with a pro to develop a master plan to implement gradually? Here are some color-on-white front doors:

• Michelle
    Original Author
    9 days ago

I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. And truly appreciate those who answered what I was asking for. It is indeed a new build, and I have a lot of great ideas on how to personalize it and make it feel like home.

• einportlandor
    9 days ago

Michelle, your house is beautiful! Keep in mind that the landscaping is new but will add a lot of curb appeal as it matures. I think a couple of large, fabulous pots filled with flowers or evergreen shrubs on the porch will add that little extra you're looking for. May you enjoy many happy years in your new home.

• olychick
    9 days ago

I guess I assumed the black door frame would be metal or clad and not paintable But it would be stunning if it were possible to paint it a color.

• P.D. Schlitz
    9 days ago

The more I look at this house, the more I think the only thing I personally might focus on is adding a few trees and tweaking the landscaping design a bit, adding some containers, etc. I’d likely then turn my attention to how to fully take advantage of your home’s beautiful setting. I’m guessing setback requirements wouldn’t allow you to ‘wraparound’ that front porch, but I’d definitely want to incorporate some kind of sitting area facing those enviable lake views across the way. Congrats on your new home and keep us posted!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    9 days ago

You can paint metal.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    9 days ago

It has plenty of character already. Not sure I would change much.

• la_la Girl
    9 days ago

I like the spare look - a really nice change from all the crazy gables that are currently in style - I wouldn't change the house, just would add some lush landscaping and large pots for flowers as others have suggested - enjoy!

• Shawna
    9 days ago

I like this house a lot, but I am wondering why the stairs don’t lead to the front door?

• liasch
    9 days ago

I’m not sure what is off to the right hand side and in the surrounding areas so that would make a difference as to what you do with the front porch. You might try some screening for privacy, and as suggested by others, or box style containers along the perimeter of the porch…However, placement of containers and/or screening will depend on what’s in the surrounding area…you don’t want to block the view. The house is a certain architectural style, very clean, and I wouldn’t mess around with trying to change the vibe. I also wouldn’t change the walkway.

• happyleg
    9 days ago

Maybe just leave the front door the color it is I might confuse a bugler in case you get one of those and it's okay that your front door is there I just thought it was a big picture window maybe you can put a planter to the right side of the door and you would help distinguish the area there but but that's nice it has a clean line on the porch that everything is the same color in the framing

• PRO
  • happyleg
    9 days ago

You know if that is a level surface from the garage you could put a big planter on the sidewalk that nobody will go up the stairs and then they would come up from the garage to the door and if you do with the cross stuff that only chick is showing then put it all the way across unless you want to get to the flower pot

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Some option with landscape easy-peasy design

• Andee
    8 days ago

The second story is too “heavy” in gray, over the lighter white. I’d try painting the garage door in the gray color to ground the first story.

• tracefloyd
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

I love the house as is but added stuff to the porch in a render.

Wood bench between the windows

2 Adironack chairs facing the lake

2 Plant pots flanking the door...partially behind posts in this angle.

Art over the bench

• Olychick
    8 days ago

Celery, that looks wonderful! Just the right touches!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Please don't mess with the front door? It is part and parcel the look of the house and a decent one is a bloody "metal fortune". I do agree I'd far prefer a white on top.

The house is intentionally a bit austere, yup........,intentionally. " Modern farmhouse vernacular.

The color need only be very focused landscaping or you don't love THIS house ? It already has character, albeit in just one color and it's white

• btydrvn
    8 days ago

Michelle’s last comment sounded a lot like closure…..?