SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

How to make jalepeno poppers?

l pinkmountain
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

I've got some small peppers and cream cheese to use up so I'm thinking about making "jalapano" poppers to serve with my dinner of rice and beans. The peppers are the size of jalapenos but are the little sweet ones. My question is, how do you fry them without the cheese oozing out? I'm seeing recipes that bake them with a bread crumb topping, but also ones that dip them in flour, egg and then bread crumbs. I don't get that, wouldn't the cheese ooze into the oil and then the oil into the filling? I don't mind frying but baking sounds easier. Those of you that make them, how do you do it? Note: I'm not doing any bacon wrapped ones. I tried that once, never again. Plus I'm cutting down on bacon.

P.S.: After perusing some "how to" videos, I might go with baking them. My electric stovetop pulses so bad it sucks at frying. Anything that needs steady heat I can just about forget. We will eventually replace it but we need a new roof first . . .

Wondering about coating them. I'm thinking a crispy top under the broiler might be better than fussing with the dipping, etc. Seems like an flour and egg coating won't get crispy in the oven, but what do I know. I made chicken cordon blue this weekend, (well actually it was provolone cheese) and sauteed it first, then baked. That was indeed a PITA but I did it for my Dad who gave me the ham and also likes the dish. I could happily live without it. I sealed it with toothpicks as good as I could, but a little bit of cheese did ooze out. Didn't seem to affect the finished product, but that was white meat chicken, not a pepper.

Comments (6)