SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whisperingbelle

Spring 2024 Grow Lists

Rebecca (7a)
3 months ago

Tomatoes first. Dreaming of that first one that I eat straight off the vine, standing in the yard. Most of these are extremely disease resistant hybrids, in hopes that they will survive the endemic viral and fungal diseases in my little city yard. Starting to be convinced that the 6 foot privacy fence is severely hampering air flow.

Baxters Bush Cherry

Porter

Mountain Magic

Bush Early Girl

Early Girl Plus

Fourth of July

Big Beef Plus

Bush Goliath

Floradade

Dixie Red

Amelia

Defiant

Bella Rosa

Phoenix

Creole

Onions:

Superstar

Candy

TBD - any ideas?

Leeks:

whatever Dixondale sends to the store

Peas:

Super Sugar Snap

Cascadia

Potatoes:

Red Norland

Yukon Gold

At least one french fingerling variety, depend depending on what I can find thar will ship at the right time. Anyone have any ideas where to order from? Hoss is in Texas.

Comments (57)

• hazelinok
    3 months ago

Kim, that's a great list. I especially like your herb and flower lists.

What is listed below comfrey?

Also, if you're sharing any plants at the SF or even a couple of seeds, I'm interested in St. John's Wart, tarragon and stevia.

If you can get your calendula going, you'll really like it. I planted several around, here and there. I kid you not....the ones on the east side of my house are still alive even after single digit temperatures! They don't look great, but they're alive.

Also, some of the ones that looked mostly dead from the summer heat, bounced back in the fall. I am hoping I have a lot of offspring from both the calendula and chamomile.

How do you use rose mint?

• Rebecca (7a)
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I’m going to have to see what herbs survive the cold. Last year I had 2 rosemary, and 1 pot each of thyme, mint, chives, and lemongrass that came back from last winter. Since I couldn’t get back there before to cover anything, or move the pots againt the house, I don’t know yet what I’ll need to start over with. I had a shrub of parsley before it froze.

Anyway, I always have:

rosemary

mint

chives

garlic chives

curly parsley

cilantro

dill

lemongrass

thyme

basil

I haven’t ordered basil seeds yet. They’re on the list with the flowers.

• Related Discussions

Trade list / wish list/ giveaway list, for spring swap Yay!!!

Q

Comments (95)
    Hey John, Good to know !!!! I thought it was a winter hardy one.. along with Wonderful.. Well you saved me again!!! I will see if I can buy another Russian from our Local nursery( that is if they have any in the fall). I did go to the farmer's market to pick up a Persimmon for My friend.... who grow a lot of Indian vegetables and Are getting into growing fruits... I get a lot of Tips for indian veggies from them as they have farms in India. They are the ones who provide me the seed for my veggies :-) The farmer's Market guy has a pomegranate, but is not Russian. Not sure what cultivar it is. He does not know either.. I am guessing Wonderful as that is what seems popular.
    ...See More

2017 Spring Cool Season Grow List

Q

Comments (30)
    Rebecca, Lettuce transplants very easily. To ensure I have no problems, I always start the seedlings in paper cups I can plant (I use the tiny Dixie cups sold to go in bathroom cup dispensers) or in peat pellets. That way, no matter the age of the plants, I can transplant them with no real root disturbance. Lettuce seedlings generally need more light that the light shelf can get them and will get leggy fast, so as soon as the first tiny sprouts appear, I move them outdoors. I can carry then indoors, if needed, but since they're pretty cold-tolerant, I really don't need to carry them in very much if at all. Mary, Sow the seed slightly later than OSU recommends and you'll be fine. Carrot seed is slow to germinate in cold soils, but much quicker in warmer soils so the trade-off when planting later is minimal. It can take carrot seeds up to 30 days to germinate in cool soils but significantly less in warm soils, so you can get seedlings up before the end of March from a mid-March sowing or you can get seedlings up before the end of March from an early-March sowing. The difference is that the extended amount of time the seeds spend in cool soil between early and late March increases the chance something will happen to the seeds. Honestly, carrots are fairly easy if you sow them when the soil is a bit warmer. Look at how easily the closely related Queen Ann's Lace self-sows itself around by the hundreds and thousands of plants everywhere every year. Kim, I occasionally have harvested carrots even later than that---well into July in one year without an appreciable loss in quality, but it must have been a fairly wet, cool summer. Dawn
    ...See More

Trade list /wish list/giveaway list, for Raleigh, NC. Spring swap 2018

Q

Comments (653)
    Ralph, is that guy hardy? I forgot.. As for getting to the exchange, I was surprised at how difficult it is to find it from main page. I just use these existing threads that have emails about, and go to the top and click the "Carolina Garden Exchange" button, and it brings me to it. Though I did finally find it from main page... (if not for this question I wouldn't have spent time to look, because got irritated before at being unable to find it, but found it easier this time for some reason) Go to the Stories and Advice and choose Gardenweb Discussions: Then go to the side bar and click Exchanges and Trading: That will bring you to a list of all the exchanges and can choose Carolina Exchange from there.
    ...See More

ROSES in UK/Europe.. 2024.. Spring/Summer

Q

Comments (949)
    @Peter Straw I’ve had Wild Edric since 2018. It was initially sent to me as literally a stick with roots by DA, which I was pretty annoyed at given the price…It’s now about 4.5 feet tall and quite dense and well branched. It’s a Rugosa hybrid so it’s tough as old boots. That flower survived a massive hailstorm so rain is nothing to it. It’s definitely not a drooper either. Very healthy and easy to grow, the first to flower in my garden and has a fabulous scent. Downsides? It’s extremely thorny, but that’s not really a problem as I never have to deal with the thorns. It also forms quite a large shrub, but it’s a shapely shrub and not lax. Here is a photo from today.
    ...See More
  • Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

Under comfrey is cumin as in black cumin seed. It’s medicinal. Rose mint is agastache for tea. Rebecca I have a variety of basil seeds including my mystery mix which includes lemon ,Thai, globe, genovese. I will be growing out some of everything for the fling. In my stash is sweet, blue, large leaf, purple, lemon, lime.

• jlhart76
    3 months ago

I grew Baxter in 2019 and it was one of my best producers. It even volunteered the following year and did well.

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

Jen what is Baxter

• hazelinok
    3 months ago

Let's talk peppers. Here's my list so far:

Hots

Jalapeno--Craig's Grande. I saved seed just in case we have another peppergate.

Habanero--Maybe just a purchased plant or two. I might buy some seed.

Pepperoncini (SESE)

Ancho Gigantea--have seed already

Scotch Bonnet (Rare Seeds)

Sugar Rush Peach --Does anyone have a good source for this one?

Sweet

Ashe County Pimento

Doe Hill

Marconi (SESE)

Olympus Bell

I have seed for all of those except the Marconi.

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

I can’t eat peppers so I am not growing any this year. Not even for fun.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

I just lost my post. Going to go pout a bit.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

The tomatoes were easy since we are growing fewer. I still may have to cut 2 of them. I will start more, because I always give some away.

Tomatoes

Arkansas Traveler

Cherokee Carbon

Early Girl ind

Gary ‘O Sena

Grandma Suzy's Beefsteak

Indian Stripe

Jetsetter

Ramapo

Black Cherry

Large Red Cherry

Celebrity Plus F1 Tomato

Peppers

Aconcagua

Ashe County Pimento

Corno Di Toro

Elephant Ear

Figitelli Sicilia, Sweet Pepper

Pippins Golden Honey

Red Cheese Pepper

Red Tennessee Cheese Pepper

Ros de Mallorca

Saraga Giant Sweet Chocolate

Spanish Padron

Sweet Apple

Sweet Pimento

Super Shepherd

Black Hungarian

jalapenos

I have 2 packets of Aconcagua and Corno di Toro because I forgot I bought the and bought them again. The Figitelli are the oldest seeds, may not germinate same with Spanish Padron. I paid a fortune for just a few seeds of Pippin's golden honey, Ros de Mallorca, Sarga Giant Sweet Chocolate, and Sweet Apple. Hope I get some this year. The black Hungarian and a jalapeno are the only hot ones.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

I lost another one! Summer greens. I'm posting these with the catalog description in case anyone is interested in trying new things. The seed year is above the variety name. I won't grow the oldest seeds. I like purslane and jewels of Opar in salads I didn't care for Malabar spinach, though it's pretty. I haven't liked amaranth before but I keep trying. 6' tall celosia is intriguing. Probably won't have the nerve to try the last one. Though not on this list, I've got a pea to be grown for it's tendrils to eat raw in salads. My cool season greens list is even longer. And then there's kale and collard...

Amaranth, Pink Beauty

A heat-tolerant and tender green perfect for those looking to infuse magenta-pink color into their culinary color palette! The tender, bright pink stems and soft, glossy green leaves make this a gourmet spinach substitute. Among the heat-tolerant greens, this one is especially refined and tasty. It hails from southern India, where you can find these greens sliced into ribbons and stir fried with chilies, garlic, curry leaf and grated fresh coconut. The greens are endlessly versatile, and we enjoy them raw and cooked. A powerhouse of nutrition and very heat tolerant for summer. A gorgeous addition to the garden an edible ornamental indeed!

Doucette d'Alger / Horn of Plenty

A delicious walnut flavored, tender salad green. Doucette d’Alger is a cousin of corn salad with larger leaves and can be used in a similar manner, however it is a hot weather loving plant that thrives in mid-summer. Flowers are an attractive lilac color that bees find highly desirable. While rare in North America, it is a wild edible in the Mediterranean and can be found growing in olive groves and grain fields. Native to Northern Africa, our seed originally came from Patrice Fortier of La Societe des Plantes in Saint-Pascal, Quebec. Aka, African Valerian, Algerian Corn Salad.

Cranberry Hibiscus

(Hibiscus acetosella) Dark red, deliciously sour leaves remain tender even as they reach large sizes. Use in soups, salads, stir-fries, and more. Also great for tea or pink lemonade. Similar in flavor to roselle. Grows slowly as a young plant, then quickly when the weather’s hot . Surpassed 12 feet wide in our 2019 garden! For smaller plants, prune often, withhold water, and/or grow in pots. Very ornamental leaves, but hasn’t produced any flowers in our garden. We give 30% of your purchase to ECHO to support them in providing hope against hunger by sharing sustainable agriculture techniques around the world. (0.3g, ~25 seeds)

GOLDGELBER PURSLANE,

It is interesting that some of the peskiest weeds from our gardens are cultivated and valued as delicacies elsewhere. This cultivated purslane bears little resemblance to the weed. Much more erect and the leaves are very large and meaty; color is a bright golden green and the flavor is really wonderful, a bit citric. It is harvested over a long period. 200 seeds

Purslane, Organic Tall

Jewels of Opar

grow like purslane

Lagos Spinach

Also known as Lagos Spinach, this celosia is a super heat-tolerant and tasty green popular in many African countries, particularly Nigeria and Ghana. The leaves are a popular ingredient in soups and stews. Plants can be pinched back to remain tidy; left unpruned, the plants can reach over 6 feet tall. The tasty, nutritious leaves are high in protein. When cooked, this versatile and rugged leafy green is the perfect addition to your permaculture landscape or any garden needing a heat- and drought-tolerant leafy green for summer. Thanks to our friend Solomon Amuzu for introducing this amazing selection. (greens should be consumed cooked and not raw)

Malabar Spinach

(Basella alba var. rubra) 70 days. These Asian greens are a great summer substitute for spinach. The fleshy leaves and stems are high in vitamins A and C. Excellent for salads, stir fries, and thickening summer soups. Germination is slow (10–12 days at 80°F) so plant extra, or start indoors 3–6 weeks before transplanting. Grows best with trellising: a good technique is to plant next to pea trellises and let them take over as the peas finish. Thin to 12–18 in. apart. Will re-grow even if severely cut back. Self-sows readily.

manihot, hibiscus

Who said vegetable plants can't be ornamental. If you want drama in your garden then this is the plant for you. The huge lemon yellow flowers stand out and draw attention the themselves, even from the other end of our field these huge flowers can be seen and attract people to walk all the way over and look at them. However the importance of this plant is that it is one of the world's most nutritious leafy vegetables because of its high protein content. The leaves are tender and sweet and can be served raw or steamed. In Asia and northern Australia this plant is grow as a major crop since it can produce a large quantity of leaves for a small area.

Melokhiya

The most widely used vegetable in Egypt; Melokhiya is very healthy and nutritious. It contains calcium, carotene and B complex vitamins. The young leaves and shoots can be used to flavor and thicken soups and stews and can also be cut and dried for winter use. It does need full sun

New Zealand Spinach

This perennial spinach substitute has been grown since before the Revolution. A staple of the door-yard gardens at Sturbridge Village. Seeds are large and slow to germinate, so be patient. Properly known as tetragone, the flavor is quite similar to real spinach. 15 seeds

Red Calaloo

Open-pollinated. Calaloo is a Caribbean stew that has many local variations, and is the name of the greens usually used in the dish, which also varies from island to island. This type is used in Jamaica, in the namesake dish as well as in many others. Although I have never been a fan of amaranth greens, considering them barely edible forage, the tricolor blaze on the tall upright Calaloo in August, more red than Hopi Red Dye, wowed me so I was induced to eat a bit. Double Wow! It was soft smooth easy eating—and that was raw, straight out of the field. Grow it as an ornamental and then eat it. Prefers warm conditions. ③

Tinker Ridge' Musk Mallow

EFN INTRODUCTION. Musk Mallow is a super nutritious, easy to grow, versatile perennial leaf crop – maybe the closest thing we have to a perennial lettuce substitute. The flowers (in bloom from spring to fall!) are also edible, and quite beautiful too. Bees and other beneficial insects love it. The leaves are rather fascinating in form too: the first ones, which become the lowest leaves on the plant, are round and resemble other mallow leaves, but they gradually morph as the plant grows, and eventually the upper leaves look nothing like the lower leaves. They much more resemble certain geranium leaves (and, come to think of it, the flowers resemble some geranium flowers too). Both the slightly mucilaginous leaves and flowers are eaten raw or cooked, and the seeds are edible too. The plant also has a long history of medicinal use, said to be useful against inflammation, insect bites, bruises, fevers, and urinary and digestive issues. It can be used as an expectorant and a laxative as well. Native to Eurasia, it has become quite common here and has naturalized in other temperate climates around the world.

West African Njama Njama Landrace

EFN INTRODUCTION. Most commonly known in English as "garden huckleberry," njama njama is the name used in Cameroon and other West African countries, as well as among many Africans in the diaspora, for this special plant in the nightshade family. But while these plants are laden with berries, most African people grow them for the delicious and nutritious leaves. Indeed, for many people njama njama (which is pronounced "jahma-jahma") is a staple food. It has a long history of medicinal use as well, and can be used as a dye plant.

We are thrilled to be offering a very special population of njama njama collected and grown by Ergibe Boyd, an Eritrean-American immigrant farmer based in southern Maryland. Ergibe had a long and interesting career, including many years in the US diplomatic service, before deciding in her retirement to become a full-time farmer and entrepreneur. She focuses on providing African vegetables to people who have no other source for their culturally important foods, so she grows crops like bitterleaf, celosia, and njama njama for the leaves (though she also likes to put a few of the antioxident-rich berries in her smoothies). She gathered a diversity of stock seed for njama njama, primarily from West African sources, and consequently produces a beautiful array of interesting looking plants. Some make more leaves than others, and some leaves are bigger than others. Most have dark purple to black berries, while a handful of them have pale purple berries, and we found one plant in her field that produced berries that ripen green (we saved some of that plant separately and hope to isolate it in the future). We have no doubt that there is much breeding potential in this population, and we're excited to learn about what all of you out there find in this extraordinary population.

GROWING TIPS: Grow as you would tomatoes, starting indoors a few weeks before last frost date then planting out once the soil warms up. Leave plenty of space, because these can become sprawling plants four or five feet wide.

NOTE: While this plant is commonly grown and consumed as a vegetable in Africa, members of this genus are known to contain potentially harmful alkaloids, so care should be taken when eating it for the first time. Like any new food, it's worth being aware of the potential for allergic or other adverse reactions. That said, millions of people enjoy this plant every day.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

The cool season greens.

I have this vague plan of putting colorful greens in pots in front then replacing them with some colorful summer plants, maybe Swiss Chard. And later colorful kale. We'll see. The front pots depend on Ron to water them. He's not very consistent.

Greens

arugula, Astro

Celtus, Green Mountain

Chijimisai

Claytonia

chicory, ZUCCHERINA DI TRIESTE

cress, PERSIAN

ESCAROLE CASQUE D'OR

Ethiopian Kale

Green Full Heart Corn Salad

komatsuna, Greenboy

Komatsuna, Old Tokyo

Komatsuna, Red

komatsuna, Summer fest hybrid

Mache, Dutch Vit

MÂCHE ‘NORTH HOLLAND'

Mâche, Verte de Cambrai

Misome

Pak Choi - Da Hong Summer - Hybrid.

Pak Choi - Da Hong Winter - Hybrid

Pac Choi, Purple Magic

Pac Choi, Red Violet Hybrid

salad burnet (perennial)

spigarello lisca broccoli

Spigariello Riccio

Yokatta-Na F1

Swiss Chard

Bietola a Costa

Bionda Di Lyon

Lucullus

Perpetual Spinach

Pot of Gold Chard

Silverado

Special Baby Leaf

Umaina Japanese

Verde De Taglio

Spinach

Abundant Bloomsdale

Bloomsdale Longstanding

Catalina Baby leaf

Sea side

Kale

Casper

Dazzling Blue Kale

Homesteaders Perennial Kaleidoscopic Kale Grex

Nero Di Toscana Cabbage

Olympic Red

Ornamental Fringed Mix Kale

Prism F1

Red Ursa Kale

Scarlet Kale

Sutherland

Starbor Kale F1

Tronchuda

Willem's Blauwe Groninger Kale

Collard

Cascade Glaze

Even' Star Land Race

Georgia Cabbage CollardsVariegated Collards

Whaley’s Favorite Cabbage Collards

Yellow cabbage collards

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

Ron wants to do a 3 Sisters garden this year. I was going to break new ground for it, but then decided that wouldn't happen. So, 2 8x4 beds to corn beans and squash. I haven't decided which bean to use yet.

Mesquakie Indian corn

Cherokee Little Cornfield bean

Rattlesnake bean

Cherokee trail of Tears bean

Kentucky K9Wonder beans

Old Timey Cornfield pumpkin

Seminole pumpkin

roselle (one on the end)

Other Things

Carrots

Autumn King Carrot

Chantenay Red Cored Carrot

Danvers 126

Little Finger

Napoli

Parisian (round)

Scarlet Nantes

St. Valerie

Beets

Crosby’s Egyptian Beet

Robin

Turnips

Boule d'Or Turnip

Just Right F1 Turnips

Micado

Oasis Turnip

Pastel Duo Turnips

White Egg

RAPUNZEL

Broccoli

Burgandy

Piracicaba

Purple Peacock sprouting

Umpqua

Cabbage

Gonzales

Napa, baby, Little Jade

Napa,Purple Express

Pixie

Cucumbers

Ashley Cucumber

Ark Little Leaf

Beit Alpha

Boston Pickling

Bush Slicer

County Faire

Cross Country Pickling

Diva

Didn't someone recommend Cross Country Pickling?

I don't think I had any production from Boston.

Lettuce too many going to have to cut this back more.

Australian Yellow Looseleaf

Black seeded Simpson

bronze arrowleaf

Brown Goldring

BUTTERCRUNCH LETTUCE

Chadwick's Rodan Lettuce

CIMMARON

Cracoviensis Leaf Lettuce

Crawford bib

Drunken Woman Lettuce

Garden Babies

Hyper Red Rumple Waved

jericho

Landis Winter Lettuce

Mayan Jaguar

Merveille De Quatre Saisons Butterhead Lettuce (OG)

Outredgeous

Red Tinged Winter Leaf Lettuce

RED VELVET LETTUCE

Rouge D'Hiver

Schweitzer's Mescher Bibb Bibb (Butterhead)

Simpson Elite Lettuce

Okra

Stewart Zeebest

White Velvet Okra

Roots

Arat Rooted Parsley

Polish Rooted Parsley

MAGRES RUTABAGA

Mammoth Sandwich Island Salsify

Ron wants to grow peas in pots on tomato cages. All my peas are short ones.

Peas

Burpeeana early

Green Arrow peas

Little Crunch Snap Pea

Little Marvel pea

PARSLEY PEA

Petit pois

Tom Thumb

Wando

willet's wonder

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

Ron will buy mints and stuff as transplants, what ever he fancies. I want to put perennial herbs in the bed adjoining the asparagus. Ron forgets things are perennial and tears them out, so they may go in pots. That would give me a bed for bush beans.

Herbs
    CUTTING CELERY
    Borage
    Calendula, Resina
    Nepitella
    Catnip
    Chives
    chives, garlic
    cilantro
    CLEOME SERRULATA
    Comfrey, from Dawn's plant
    dill, Dukat Strain
    Mammoth
    Greenthread
    Rock Hyssop
    Greek Mountain Tea
    Lemon Balm
    Lime Balm
    Majoram, Sweet
    BLUE MALLOW
    PINEAPPLE WEED
    Papalo
    Dark Green Italian parsley
    Evergreen Parsley
    Gigante d’Italia Parsley
    Red Plantain
    Plantain - Variegated
    Quilquina (Bolivian Coriander)
    Pepicha
    BUCKLER SORREL
    Savory, Summer
    BALKAN MOUNTAIN TEA
    Mad dog Scullcap
    Thyme
    Ayelet Thyme
    Valerian Official (Valeriana officinalis)
    Witch Hazel
    White Yarrow Yarrow
    Wild Bergamot
    Broadleaf Sage

I have seeds for all of that. What makes me think I can do all that? Sigh.

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

That is soooooo much Amy. But it sounds wonderful.

• hazelinok
    3 months ago

Wow, Amy. I'll come back tomorrow to digest all of this! Love it.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

Kim. I decided to PLAN what I wanted. I know it won't all happen, partly because I don't have room for it all. But, I usually only plant one or 2 of each variety in order to see if I like them. When I did it all, I planted close together and made a jungle. Ron likes to put down weed cloth, which limits how close you can plant.

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

I have big plans too. After losing two gardens to grasshoppers and last year: (. I need a decent year. Is not going to be the prettiest. Everything will be covered with insect netting. I am going to try to plant one herb in each pot with my veg.

• slowpoke_gardener
    3 months ago

Madge and I say "we don't need more than 12 tomatoes", we have never stopped at 12 tomatoes, we both went to school in Arkansas, I guess we never learned the 3 R's.

I am working on big plans on winter squash and sweet potatoes, of course I plan on having okra, onions, peas, and cucumbers. I would like to grow some spices and other stuff like that. If the spring fling is within 150 miles of Ft. Smith, and any of y'all would like something special, and if I have the seeds I well start extra plants, I always start more than I have room for anyway.

I can look out side an still see snow on the north side of the shop, and we are now up to 30 degrees, I feel another heat wave coming.

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

Larry I hope we can do the spring fling close to you and Madge. It would be so awesome to meet y’all in person. I hope to start herbs and flowers to share. I just picked a bunch of seeds out of my stash. When I get back from Lubbock I am going to get a load of compost. I want to mix my own potting soil. I have about 25 tubs to fill. I think it’s going to be a great year

• slowpoke_gardener
    3 months ago

Kim, I need to get some compost also. With no cattle on the place, I lost my compost material. I think I can still buy it in Ft. Smith for around $75.00 per yd., that I think is a little steep but my biggest problem is unloading it.

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

Larry I have not figured out how I am going to haul compost in my minivan. I thought about taking the seats out and putting a giant tarp in there. And then I thought maybe my mineral tubs would hold it up. I think it’s $45 for 3 yd.³ I can’t envision how much that is may be part of a pick up bed load. Right now I am going through some seeds oh my favorite thing to do and I found so many Porter seeds so I am going to plant extras and hope they do well I can bring them to the spring fling. I’ll grow out about 20 or more and save back four for myself

• slowpoke_gardener
    3 months ago

Kim, if you are talking about 3 cubic yards, there is no way I would try to haul that in a mini van, try to find someone to haul it with a truck. Some times the compost is wet, and it is always nasty, it will make a bigger mess in your van than the compost is worth. I have never hauled more than 2 yards at a time, and that was in a trailer that was larger than a pickup bed. My mineral tubes hold a little over a 2.8 cu.ft. potting soil, but most of the time I use some kind of filler to use up some of the space.

It looks as though you have a good supply of seeds, I have too many seeds, I doubt that I can use all of them. But I am a seed addict.

• Rebecca (7a)
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Amy, im in awe. We should all get together and start stuff for each other. If SF is back at Jen’s, im pretty sure youd do fine there.

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

Rebecca we are actually talking about doing fling at Webber Falls ok.

• Rebecca (7a)
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Kim, im totally down for anywhere like that

• hazelinok
    3 months ago

Amy, I've enjoyed looked over your posts. Thank you for posting all of that.

Here's my lettuce list:

Red Salad Bowl

Red Sails

Paris Island Cos

and seed I just ordered (new to me)

Crawford Bibb

Sweet Valentine

Simpson Elite

Amy, I noticed that Crawford is also on your list. Have you grown it before?

Simpson Elite was once tied to Monsanto, so it feels a bit creepy, but I ordered it anyways. I'm just looking for slow bolters and varieties that can handle our hot days for as long as possible.

I also enjoyed looking at your heat greens. I've also found that Malabar isn't that yummy. Maybe cooked, but not in a cold salad.

• Rebecca (7a)
    Original Author
    3 months ago

So other than tomatoes…

Peas:

Sugar Snap

Sugar Daddy

Sugar Ann

Cascadia

Beans:

Jade Bush

Maxibel Bush (maybe)

Contender

Tavera

Kentucky Wonder pole

Blue Lake pole

Pole beans assuming I get the trellises up lol

Cucumbers: (my nephew’s favorite vegetable, so I grow a few each of multiple varieties)

Beit Alpha

Pointsett

General Lee

Supremo

County Fair Improved

Carolina

Ashley

Suyo Long

LittlevLeaf

If I have room and want to fight the squirrels for them:

Honey Rock cantaloupe

Bush Sugar Baby watermelon

Seeds winter sown for:

scarlet nantes carrots

Ruby Queen beets

Debating a couple Baby Bubba okra plants too. Space.

• slowpoke_gardener
    3 months ago

I don't see how you people have the time of apace to grow all the stuff you plant. I have always been too slow and lazy to do that. my hat is off to you.

I want to try the Malabar spinach, I have the seeds, but have read so many times that it is not tasty, I have not tried it. I have not tried sweet potato greens either, so that needs to go on my bucket list.

• hazelinok
    3 months ago

What cucumber does best for you, Rebecca?

For this year, I'll do a couple of Armenian, the Persian ones that I love so much, and maybe a few from a seed packet that was sent to me for free....Marketmore.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

Jennifer, I've grown Simpson Elite, and liked it. I like Black Seeded Simpson a lot, I keep viable stock of both. A woman I'm aquatinted with grew Crawford's in San Antonio last year and told me the story of it coming to Texas from Tulsa. OF COURSE I have to try it! My favorite lettuce is Chadwick's Rodan. It over wintered (or self seeded?) One year, it's quite hardy. I originally bought it from Baker Creek. Then they quit carrying it, but this year it was back. I really should save seed, but I usually have lots of varieties growing that might cross.

Thanks Rebecca. We need to plan a lunch... Or dinner in Tulsa. If any one wants seeds or starts of something I've listed let me know. I may be limited on early starts, my brother is living in my plant room.

Larry, Malabar spinach is a pretty plant, whether you like to eat it or not. I didn't care fore it raw. It is like okra, has that mucilage. It would be fine tossed in soup or something that needed the thickening. Personally I've never much cared for okra in soup. But some people do.

I found my Italian Swiss Chard at a new vendor. Also bought 2 kinds of Italian pole beans. Both recommended by Dawn in the post I bumped up. I'm afraid I'll loose this post if I look for the names, so I'll come back and tell you.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

Garrafal Oro Rampicante, I bought this on Amazon for a ridiculous price, but seeds of Italy was sold out and the other place was sold out. It's confusing because these were described as black beans, when the picture clearly shows brown.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

The other was Smeraldo - Romano Pole Bean Northern Italy. The vendor was Heirloom seed store. I am assuming these will be like the Italian green beans Ron used to buy and my kids all hated. (I get points for buying something he likes.) I have too many bush and pole beans, and i want to grow PEPH, too. I have to remember to get inocculant.

• slowpoke_gardener
    3 months ago

Amy, I think you have talked me in to planting the Malabar spinach. I have grown something that was sort of slimy like okra, I think it was Jute, I am sure it may have another name, but I don't know what it is. The best I can remember the jute was a very tall plant, 6' or more sort of bushy hike a cedar tree, the wind blew it down and when I tried to chop it up with the mower I had more of a ball of string than I did grass clippings.

I don't remember ever inoculating pea seeds, I know that it is said to be best to do that, I have bought pea seeds that already had a coating on them, and could have already been inoculated.

I think that I planted some pole Romano bean seeds a year or two ago, but I did not get what I wanted. I was hoping to get something like the Roma 2 bush bean, but that was not what they were. The Roma bush bean I love, but they are so low and hard to pick.

Madge bought some great cucumber seeds last year, they were small, smooth, and crunchy, I think they were the best cucumbers I have eaten, I don't remember the name of them, but I ask her to order more seeds. She sprayed her 4 plants with glyphosate by mistake, of course that was the end of her cucumbers.

• Rebecca (7a)
    Original Author
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

HJ, I’ve found a bunch that do well here. I have to be careful to grow disease resistant varieties, especially for powdery mildew and mosiac virus. Most everything I put in my grow list works really well. I do succession plant them because PM or fungus tends to get them sooner rather than later. Marketmore should work great for you, I think I’ve done it in the past.

I also love romaine lettuces for here, to butt in on your question for Kim. Rouge d’Hiver and Marvel of the Four Seasons, and Parris Island. Romaine seems to last a bit longer in the heat, especially if I can shade it.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

Lost my post twice, not doing it again. Waving hi!

• hazelinok
    3 months ago

Sorry about the disappearing posts, Amy. My experiences aren't that they disappear, but are invisible to everyone but me. Sometimes.

Thanks for the lettuce info. I do like a good lettuce. Just any 'ol lettuce won't do. lol

On the SESE website, I read about the Crawford Bibb and that is why I chose it. I'll look into Chadwicks for the winter.

Rebecca, I like the Parris Island variety too. It's on my list for this spring. Rouge D'hiver is one I do in the fall. I think it translates to "winter red". Usually for fall I'll do Winter Density and Rouge D'Hiver. I mixed it up this year and Rick brought over some lettuce plants too. I have no idea if any survived the single digits as I haven't been to the hoop house in a week.

• HU-422368488
    3 months ago

Just got my seed orders in , here goes :

Cowpeas:

Knuckle Purple Hull

Pinkeye purple Hull

Okra:

Perkins Mammoth Long Pod Okra

Clemson Spineless 80

Beans :

Black Coco

Contender

Dixie White Butter Pea Lima

Dr Martin's Pole Lima ( sort of looks like the ol fashion "Butter Beans" )

Jacobs Cattle

Light Red Kidney

KENTUCKY WONDER

Black Turtle

Spinach:

Space Hybrid

Bloomsdale Long Standing

Swiss Chard:

FORDHOOK GIANT

Kohlrabi :

DELICACY WHITE

Lettuce :

SIMPSON ELITE

GREEN SALAD BOWL

Tried to get " North Pole" for next winter but it sold out already.

Corn:

BODACIOUS Sweet Corn

Dent - Truckers Favorite Yellow Field Corn

Carrots:

NAPOLI

Atomic Red

Rutabaga :

Laurentian ( a new one on me)

Turnips:

Shogoin

Purple Top

Green Peas:

Wando

Radishes:

Champion

I also got seed left over from last year ; Kale ( Dwarf Siberian , Collards ( Morris Heading , Georgia Southern ) , Mustard ( Southern Curled) , Beets ( Detroit Red) , Rutabaga ( American Purple Top)....... assortment of other things...shell beans.........

About tomatoes:

I usually get plants of the Beef Steak types ( hybrid) : Beef Steak, Big Beef , Super Fanastic,

also : Early Girl , Better Boy , Rutgers, Homestead , Celebrity

Black toms: Black Krim , Black Prince , Cherokee Purple,

Other Heirlooms : Mortgage Lifter , Arkansas Traveler , Box Car Willie

I'll try Porter this year if I see it around.

Potatoes ;

I usually get Red Pontiac ( or Red La Sota or both) and Kennebec,

I'll get some Yukon Gold too.

Onions :

I won't bother listing them out right now but I usually get a few bundles each of whatever Dixon Dale varieties that the feed store gets in. I tend to go heavy on Candy , Yellow Granex and Texas Super Sweet.

About brassicas:

I usually get whatever plants are in the stores:

Broccoli ( Lieutenant , Green Magic....)

Cauliflower ( Snow White...)

Cabbage ( Bonnies Hybrid , Copenhagen , Early Flat Dutch , New Jersey Wakefield....)

About squash and cucumbers: I just get whatever transplants are available in the stores . Yellow straight neck , yellow crook neck , zuchanni , slicing cukes...

I guess that's it.

Oh my.

Rick

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

Another great growing list. I didn’t list all my varieties. Typing on my phone is tedious.

• slowpoke_gardener
    3 months ago

I don't see how you all can grow that many plants, I couldn't even keep up with that many.

• HU-422368488
    3 months ago

Well I just start up the Mantis.

Rick

• slowpoke_gardener
    3 months ago

Rick, do you always run the gas out of your Mantis? I dont use mine much and it really gets hard to start. I have a new carb to install on it, hoping that will help, also bought a gal. of premixed fuel, man, that stuff is expensive. It seems to be a full time job to keep my junk running.

• HU-422368488
    3 months ago

Larry , I empty the gas out of the tank and stroke it a few times trying to clear out the carb when I put it up for the winter.

I had to replace carb last spring.

Sometimes it helps to spray some carb cleaner into the carb , stroke it a little and let it sit for a while.

I mix my own gas/oil .

Rick

• slowpoke_gardener
    3 months ago

Rick, thanks, I will start doing the same. When I bought my first tractor my tillers got less use, and started giving more problems, of course they were also getting older.

I finally got my soil test beck, everything is within range, P and K still too high, but it has been too high for years. The PH test are in my email, but I think they range from 5.7 to 6.5 in the 3 gardens. I am close enough to start working soil as soon as things dry out some. I had better get on the ball checking seed supplies.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

Rick, what is the difference between knuckle purple hull and pink eye purple hull? I may have asked before, but I forget.

We have some varieties in common. I once vowed to plant only Napoli carrots because they are the only ones that produce for me. Nelson did, but I can't find it now. I did figure out Napoli has a shorter DTM than the others I tried, so maybe I didn't leave them long enough. This year I have a couple meant for containers.

We put in purchased kale and collard transplants in the fall. Ron covered them with frost cloth and they survived the freeze!

• HU-422368488
    3 months ago

Amy ,

Knuckle is a crowder type brownish in color and a little plumper that Pink Eye.

Pink Eye is more like a small bean shape and has that little "black eye" in the middle.

There's a slight difference in the taste between the two.

https://tomorrowseeds.com/products/knuckle-purple-hull-cowpea

https://whitwamorganics.com/products/cow-pea-pinkeye-purple-hull

For carrots I was wanting to try " Kuroda Improved" but it sold out pretty quick

Collards and kale are pretty cold tolerant especially when covered. More so than anything else aside from spinach , garlic . I think collards are even tougher than kale.

Rick

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

I have grown Kuroda. If memory serves, it is one with a longer DTM than Napoli and didn't impress me. Maybe if I had let it go longer. Think 10 days makes a big difference in carrot size?

• HU-422368488
    3 months ago

Amy,

I noticed you have salsify in your seed list.

I've done salsify a couple of times. Last time was 2011.

Almost ordered some seed but thought I had enough to manage.

It is something different , sort of like trying parnips.

Suppose to taste like oysters.

What were your experiences with it?

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/what-the-heck-is-salsify

https://www.southernexposure.com/products/sandwich-island-mammoth-salsify/

Might just talk myself into ordering some seed.

Oh , and about corn salad ( mache').

I tried some "Vit" last year for the fall/winter , I wasn't impressed.

By the time it got big enough to harvest it was in the way of the spring plantings.

Rick

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

To be honest, I've not gotten a good crop of "vit" before either. Probably needs a container home. I've never grown salsify before. I bought seeds once but I think I found they aren't viable for long...like parsnips. I did grow parsnips a couple of years, but the last time they had bumps all over them which i decided was root knot nematode. I grew rooted parsley with the parsnips and I really liked that. The parsley leaves are slightly stronger tasting than annual parsley, but the root is good roasted or in soup. It tastes Iike parsley. i plan to put the salsify in a bag or container. The Rapunzel listed in with the turnips on my list is another odd ball root crop i got suckered into, lol. I'm going to post this before i loose it, but I'll come back with a link to it.

https://www.farmacieisolde.com/curiosities/rapunzel

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

What is vit ???