SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_trahan81

freestanding tub shower in small bath Reno

Jessica Trahan
3 months ago

I tore up the bathroom and the contractor messed up the tile - he didn't follow the plan. I need help to design a way to put glass - he made the frame too close to the tub. And Did not extend the black tile as far as we wanted it to extend. So if I put a half frameless glass piece I won't be able to wash it. It will practically touch the tub. Any ideas what we could do at this stage? Could glass be on hinges and open partially when we need to clean it and then go back into place? I'm worried if the glass is too close to tub people will use it to try and get into tub and the dangers.. any ideas (besides curtain) would be very helpful. Or do I need to tear up that floor frame - it's 2x4 tiles over- and somehow patch it up?

Comments (42)

• millworkman
    3 months ago

^^^^ As would I, that just looks like a mistake and a cleaning and using nightmare.

• Related Discussions

Small freestanding tub - need recommendations

Q

Comments (12)
    A 60" tub is small (that's standard alcove tub size), but you may have room for a 66" if the filler does not need to go on the end. Check out Signature Hardware, Maxx Tubs, in addition to the V&A leemiller suggested. Pay careful attention to the specs in terms of the inside bottom dimensions. I have tried many freestanding tubs on display that I though were pretty uncomfortable. If you have anyplace where you can go sit in the tubs on display, it might help you to figure out whats best for you. Good luck with your search!
    ...See More

Freestanding bath tub, where to put the faucet

Q

Comments (2)
    Initially, my designer recommended placing the free-standing tub filler off-center, in the corner, at the end of the tub (where my feet go) and it was plumbed that way. Then the designer changed her mind, and decided that the faucets should be centered at the end -- so I paid for plumber and tile setter to make the change. I considered having the faucets placed behind the tub, between the back wall and the tub, which would make it easier to add water when I'm in the tub, but then I would need to reach over the tub to fill it before entering. And designer said it's best to "show off" the exposed pipes on the filler. I just realized that there are black "spots" on my tub -- paw prints from the 10-year old cat I adopted this summer -- luckily, her prints wash off easily.
    ...See More

Add hand shower to freestanding tub that has no shower head?

Q

Comments (4)
    Instructions: https://www.thespruce.com/installing-toilet-closet-flange-1822506. As instructed, you have to figure out the type of spout, slip-on or threaded. Sample (Delta U1072-PK) replacement spout with diverter for hand shower. This particular spout can be used both threaded or slip-on (see Installation Guide linked to web page).
    ...See More

Free standing tub or built-in tub?

Q

Comments (1)
    I think it depends on how you live and if you're planning for resale. I am a bath person and chose an insert so that I could have an air jetted tub, have room for candles, bath salts, etc. and for ease of cleaning around it. I was told that it can sometimes be difficult to clean around free standing tubs, especially in a smaller space. Also, we wanted a larger one as my husband enjoys it after a long day of cycling. The tub insert may not be the rage right now but it functions best for us.
    ...See More
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

The tub is a mistake.

• vinmarks
    3 months ago

Get rid of the tub. How were you planning to clean around the tub? It was a poor idea to begin with.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

You made the mistake od doing the tub for sure so get rid of the tub and either do a proper tub/ shower or just the shower . I think just make this a shower .

• tlynn1960
    3 months ago

The shower curb should've been a single piece of solid material-probably a piece of whatever your vanity countertop is made out of. Removing those curb tiles likely will damage the waterproofing, but the tub needs to go anyway. Significant safety issue to step from beyond the curb into the tub and even worse on the reverse trip with wet feet with nary a grab bar in sight. FSTs are for spacious baths as a focal point in the room.

• PRO
    steveetheridge
    3 months ago

That configuration will be hard to navigate. As others are saying it would probably be best to remove the tub and just have a shower.

• elcieg
    3 months ago

Definitely remove the tub for all reasons suggested to you. Plus, who the heck would fit into the tub? And once in, how would person get out? No grab bars anywhere. Dangerous.

• palimpsest
    3 months ago

Also, have you tested the faucet? It does not appear to be long enough to fill the tub without hitting the rim first.

• Iri
    3 months ago

If you choose to keep the tub, you could skip the glass and do a tub-shaped curtain suspended from the ceiling. (Think old-fashioned clawfoot tub-to-shower conversion.)

• colleenoz
    3 months ago

What were you thinking? That tub will be a nightmare to get in and out of for just a shower, and as a tub you’d be sitting in there with your knees up under your chin, which is not my idea of a relaxing bath. Ditch it before someone has a serious accident getting out of the tub.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

can you remove the tub? can't understand why you chose a freestanding tun in such a tight enclosure.

wheres the drain on the floor of the shower?

you should have just used a regular tub surround.

what were you thinking using this tub in a small shower? doesn't even make sense. and how do you plan on getting behind it to clean? nightmare.

you need a longer arm on this showerhead or the water is just going to splash all over the rim of the tub, ditto the spout to fill the tub.

can't' imagine having to clean the floor of this shower. it's going to be a mildew mess w/that water trapped in the back. hows the water drain on the floor?

lose the tub.

if you can't lose the tub, just do a shower curtain.

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

This is strange on all accounts. An otherwise spacious shower is now a place that you cannot comfortably stand and shower, nor can you easily lounge and bathe. It looks dangerous and like the faucet doesn't even extend into your tub.

• cpartist
    3 months ago

Agree with everyone else. This is no good for all the reasons stated

• palimpsest
    3 months ago

If there is no separate drain for the shower pan, outside the tub, this is going to be like a shallow pool with standing water in it.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 months ago

CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT!!!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Did she say that? She did?!? Yeah..............: )

• Shazia
    3 months ago

Oh honey. What a place to be in! Good luck to you!

Follow the advice here and remove the tub. Then put in glass doors and call it a day.

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

It's one thing to attempt a haircut over your bath sink - your hair will grow back. For free. This is your money .

Opening line of your book Jan.

• palimpsest
    3 months ago

I think the entire thing is a shame, and I feel bad that this is the OPs first post and this is her introduction to the forums.

I don't think there is any halfway measure to fix this unless there is already a separate drain in the shower pan area, which there may be, out of sight.

To some extent I blame virtual renderings for things like this. People create realistic looking things that are in no way practical or viable in real life. People see it, and then try it.

I am assuming that there was no permitting process here that required any documentation, because I think the non-viability of this would have been discovered, when someone looked at the plans. However in my local, you can get permits without plans if you are not removing any walls, and the inspections would occur at demo, rough in and final, and the rough in would have shown a shower with a drain in it. (The permitting and inspection process for remodels like this in my location is kind of cursory, and lots of people do it all with out permits anyway). But this is one very good example of why the permitting and inspection process should exist.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

I agree w palimpsest that the internet is a culprit. But it isn't going away, the artificial intelligence images will be yet more prevalent, and therefore you must do your own due diligence. The old....."How'd they DO that?!" question.

Even if the shower framer HAD used the specs for your tub, the very same framer would have said, "Hon...this is never, ever going to work. " You could trip, fall and kill yourself!!."

You didn't even mention that possibility . You were worried on a corner. Maybe you were never planning to stand on the shower floor outside of that tub? Which then would render the shower pointless or so it would seem.

What's done is done is not yet done. Just find a way to get the tub out, ensure a waterproof shower.

On behalf of all....apologies for laughing. Really.

• remodeling1840
    3 months ago

I am so sorry you are being ridiculed. When we first start remodeling, we find elegant ideas and try to duplicate them for our own homes without the experience of why something works in the inspiration space but will not work in our own space. This is a hugely costly error and no one should be laughing. Salvage what you can-sell that pretty tub to someone who has the space for it. You will have to redo the entire shower space to either install a regular tub that fits the space, redo the waterproofing, and retile or turn it into a shower after you have the tub faucet and controls removed , redo the waterproofing, and retile the shower. I don’t think there is any other fix for this. In our first house ( in our sixth one now), my husband spent a month of backbreaking work to improve our house. Only when he was finished and the idea failed did our neighbor across the street, a retired contractor no less, send his wife over to tell us , “ Joe knew that slope was too steep for a driveway.” We all make mistakes. Don’t give up.

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

Just when I thought the tub in the shower was the most odd bathroom I'd see all week, along comes this gem. A shower in a living room closet. Of course in an NYC apartment.

• tozmo1
    3 months ago

So unfortunate. The shower tile is beautiful. Nothing to add but bless your heart, so sorry. Your post said, "I'm worried if the glass is too close to tub people will use it to try and get into tub and the dangers.. " Is this being prepped for an airbnb? If so, remove the tub immediately or make sure you have very, very high limits on your liability insurance and you are ready for very negative reviews. I once posted a negative comment about a VRBO that didn't have a bedside table on my side of the bed. Live and learn.

• drdeb1234
    3 months ago

I guess a good general lesson too is, if you’re thinking of doing something that you’ve NEVER seen done before (eg a freestanding tub INSIDE a shower), there might be a very good reason you’ve never seen that. Worth doing a bit more research.

Hope you figure out a way to make this work. It will be a lovely shower if you manage to remove the tub.

• susan49417
    3 months ago

Agree with removal of tub and ensure shower is waterproofed.

• palimpsest
    3 months ago

The problem is, that this not an idea that the OP has "NEVER seen before". There are pictures all over the internet of this very thing.

Some of them may not be real operating bathrooms. They could be displaying fixtures for a company, they could be virtual

Some of them could be real operating bathrooms but they are bigger and have properly drained floors and whatever they need.

Some of them probably do not function any better than the one the OP posted wood.

This one is no bigger and no easier to clean than the OPs would be. But you can see that the floor is slanted so there is probably another drain somewhere.

But there are still impossible areas to clean, and an area under that tub that will mildew in many environments.

This one is much bigger and has an obvious linear drain.

This is bigger at the opposite end from shower, but it is unclear how this drains, and is there a rain shower or just the hand-held

How does this work? This assumes all water will drop straight down and not be deflected by whoever is standing in the shower.

• drdeb1234
    3 months ago

I think these all look pretty, but pretty strange. But I agree, obviously been done before!

• palimpsest
    3 months ago

Ideas go through cycles, and the original reasons behind them get corrupted, and they get turned into one big idea, usually something expensive, and they it trickles down into the normal kind of circumstances, much like the original situation where the big ideas no longer work.

The original "wet room" was a room that was So Small, that the whole room was a shower, and the toilet and sink got wet when you used the shower. There was no room for a bathtub. There was no room for a shower really.

Then, the wet room became a little bigger because people were tired of the toilet and sink getting wet and the shower was Almost big enough to be a real shower all by itself.

Then people thought, well, the idea of no shower curb and an open floor is cool, lets just make this as big as a real shower and separate it a bit.

Then people said "If I want a bathtub and a separate shower, I can make the separate shower Bigger if it is not a stall. I can make it really big and put the bathtub IN it so I don't need the circulation path past the shower to get to the tub, you can go Through the shower to get to the tub.

So then there are these bathrooms that are really big enough to have a bathtub and a separate shower but they aren't separate because it's cool to have the wet room. And the freestanding sculptural tub looks cool sitting there all by itself.

Then, people who do Not have these giant bathrooms look at these sculptural tubs and say "I don't have that much room but I still want it"

So the sculptural freestanding tubs start getting squeezed into smaller and smaller spots and then they start making freestanding tubs that are smaller enough to fit in the space of an ordinary alcove tub. And they are small because they can't take up the entire space like an alcove tub.

And then these get put into smaller and smaller spaces.

And then you are back to the point where you really only have room for a shower.

And that's where we are now. The full cycle.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago

it would appear OP has left the building. 3 days and not one bit of feedback. sigh.

• remodeling1840
    3 months ago

Who could blame the OP? It’s very sad her first time posting was so unpleasant. Where was the kindness usually shown to beginners? She made a hugely expensive mistake, led by photos of bathrooms that live on the edge of design, bathrooms where money was spent just to impress, bathrooms where function was not in the top five requirements. The OP was trying to follow a new trend of free standing tubs in wet rooms, touted by Houzz and HGTV.

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

Maybe she’s fighting with the contractor or trying to figure out who can help her undo this?

I agree it’s very sad. There ARE photos of this idea but the execution didn’t work in this case.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Okay. Many of us did indeed apologize. ......but.

At some point, the lack of understanding regarding unforgiving inches that seems universal in SO many posts about anything and everything is rather remarkable!

Truth? The contractor, assuming he had the tub selection, the concept, the specs of all? Knew what the framing was and that the shower had a kill yourself curb impediment to any possible safety?

That guy truly deserves the idiot of the year award. He's a thief, really. He took the money when only one single word was necessary. NO.

• PRO
    3 months ago

Also keep in mind that the original question had nothing to do with the unsuitability of the tub in that small space, rather that the OP was unhappy with the way the tile was installed. She/he truly did not know what she/he did not know.

• vinmarks
    3 months ago

Just because you see a picture on the internet doesn't make it a good idea. People do not think things through.

• palimpsest
    3 months ago

Not everyone is going to understand why something like this is not going to work from a drawing. Some people only understand things in three dimensions, and some people have trouble even translating that from one situation from another.

Real conversation:

Client: I am looking at the drawings you did and I think I understand, that the rectangles with the Xs show a cabinet that is on the other wall, right?

Me: Yes, you are looking at the Sides of the upper cabinet or lower cabinets that are on the adjoining wall.

Client: What I don't understand is why you are showing the upper cabinets narrower than the lower cabinets.

Me: What do you mean? That the upper cabinets are shallower than the lower cabinets?

Client: Yes, why did you make it like that? That's less storage.

Me: Upper cabinets are always shallower than lower cabinets. That's how you can work on the counters. You would hit your face on the uppers if they were the same depth as the lower.

Client: My cabinets aren't. My cabinets are the same on the top and on the bottom

Me: Go look at your kitchen

Client: Are you telling me I don't know what my own kitchen cabinets look like?

Me: . . . Go. . . . look . . . at your kitchen cabinets.

Client: Oh my god. I never noticed that before. I thought my upper cabinet and lower cabinets stuck out the same amount. I guess I never thought about it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

So true ( Diana ) above. But maybe this is just representative of "mistakes made in a lifetime" - and how's that for a category?!

People spend a hundred grand for a destination wedding, and then divorce. Buy a car and promptly change its name from "baby" to "lemon" .

You do the best you can to educate yourself. That includes images on line, but it ALSO includes educating yourself. Asking yourself about more than the pretty, and how it will function for you in daily life. If you are consistently drawn to certain colors, a certain traditional feel? You don't give in to what your neighbor just did, despite it looks like it jumped off a West Elm page. If lucky or experienced in life? You may know enough to know that this @ 3, 850.00

Is one heck of a finer, and better value than this below at 2,095.00

But the first is almost double the price!

You bet, but worth three TIMES the overpriced R.H with wood cut/dried yesterday.

It is a whole lot prettier too, and it goes.......just about everywhere...

Similar here below, a room done ten years ago.

elmwood master suite · More Info

See, ask, touch, feel. It's a lifelong learning process .

• palimpsest
    3 months ago

The client I had the conversation with was not unintelligent either. But spatial perception was not something that she ever really needed to think about in the abstract before, and in terms of working in her own kitchen, she never really needed to think about why things worked if they worked.

They have done studies that if as much attention is paid to teaching someone how to draw realistically as is paid to grammar and mathematics, many people would be able to draw realistically. That doesn't mean that they would all be great artists by a long shot, but they would be able to do it, just like they could write intelligible sentences or figure out day to day math. Since it is Not something that is considered a life skill, much less attention is paid to it and less people can do it.

The problem is, that now with virtual rendering and software and such, you can create things that really are not possible, and you don't even need to know the mechanics of measuring and drawing to do it. It's by measuring and conversion of that into something graphic that (used to) give a clue as to whether something was actually possible or not.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Amen.

"If you can't do it on graph paper or use a scale ruler? Don't buy that program you believe will make you a genius"

I love the drawings that have no wall thickness. Drives me nuts, No, I don't know why. Makes me as crazy as a cheap architect who skimps on paper size and uses 3/16 scale. THAT makes me insane. Apologies /veer

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago

sidenote here,,,,,Charish really jacks up prices. I've sold a few of my painted pieces on charish and know for a fact the prices are inflated. you have to factor in the sellers profit, plus profit for chairish, (if I remember correctly they take 35% or so) and they also pay for shipping, which is costly for freight items. So, looking for vintage case pieces like Jan posted, I'd go to flea marts, garage sales, antique marts, online craigslist or FB and get a much better deal. That antique mahogany piece could be found for 1/4th that price listed on chairish. it is a knock-off. Still, really well made w/fine wood, and yes, better than the mass crap today. Just sayin' .....

As for the OP, well, if you're going to post in any public forum, you ought to know by now to have a thick skin. She asked for help on the tile but post one pic from afar. She was concered about cleaning the front next to a glass door, but never thought about trying to clean those back corners?? Or didn't even think about the water coming down and hitting the rim of the tub? she never came back to answer any questions on the first day, or provide any other usefull info. If people got a bit harsh, oh well. Life is easier when you learn to toughen up a bit and take criticism w/an open mind.

I'd love to speak to the GC or til person for completely taking advantage of this homeowner and installing this nightmare shower.

• PRO
    3 months ago

Ha, yes, reminds me of my first class in drafting--the instructor always said "walls have thicknesses."

Sorry for this veer, but, unfortunately, just because they teach something in school (grammar and math) doesn't necessarily mean that students learn it :(