December: What are you reading this holiday season?
2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (73)
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Discussions
December holidays are a perfect time for reading
Comments (64)Carolyn, very interesting and seemingly quite different from what happens in English/Welsh churches (I can't speak for those in Scotland, some of which are very 'strict'). Re the letter. Is it a piece of paper "to whom it concerns . ." or is it some type of printed form with details of the person moving from the area; a sort of reference for them to see if they will be accepted by the new church? And what happens if the new church thinks they might not want this new member, are they able to turn them down? Mary, I knew that Catholic churches will not let non-RC's take communion. There was the eg here that the papers got hold of, concerning former PM Tony Blair who used to accompany his wife Cherie (She who must be obeyed) and children to Mass and take communion. This was picked up by the hierarchy and he was forbidden to continue. He has since joined the RC Church. And on a similar note the C of E has just appointed its first woman Bishop. When you consider that women now make up about 45% of the clergy though mostly in 'junior' roles it seems not a moment too soon. :-) A recent TV prog. spent time at Canterbury Cathedral and talked to women priests. They said after their ordination some 20 years ago they left the building worried to be confronted with banner-carrying women, but were relieved to see they were Catholic women who's message read "We'll be next"! . . .Though they might have a very long wait. Here is a link that might be useful: A Woman Bishop...See MoreJingle all the Way to the Library-December 'What are you reading?
Comments (150)I withdraw what I said earlier about James lee Burke's Swan Peak being disappointing. I finished listening to it yesterday as I spent 10 hours driving from Tennessee to Baltimore (an hour or so in dense fog at both ends.) SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The character introduced as a depraved bully and for whom I could see no redemption, became the man on whom I pinned hopes at the end. At some point I realized he was our hero David Robicheaux with a slightly different childhood. His violence was not different from Robicheaux's, but his primary victims were. The novel made me question my previous acceptance of Robicheaux's violence as nasty but necessary. The novel does strike me as the final David Robicheaux installment. Carolyn, I know you read it. What did you think? SPOILER OVER I also finished Wodehouse's The Code of the Woosters which had me laughing aloud....See MoreWhat are you reading? December 2022 Edition
Comments (110)I finished Murder and Mayhem in Manayunk and overall. I committed to reading it before I looked up anything- so it has like maybe 20 ( if that) reviews/ratings which is normally a red flag for me. Then of course, not available through tthe library but I did spring for the $1.99 for kindle. Anyway, it was a real spy type thriller, based in Philadelphia with tons of local references. Mostly I did enjoy it and although not great literature (and really poor proofreading as well as typesetting it that's what it's called?) it was very entertaining and consuiming. Towards the end though, I was very ready for it to be done. I gave it 3 stars but if there were half star ratings I would say a solid 2,5 So I have finished out my year and will look forward to the 2023 threads. So much on my to be read list........ Happy reading everyone....See MoreWhat are you reading? December 2024 Edition
Comments (32)I just finished Framed: Astonishing True Stories of Wrongful Convictions by John Grisham and Jim McCloskey. Depressing to think how wrong our criminal justice system can be...not because of errors or innocent mistakes, but because prosecutors and police get wedded to the idea that someone is guilty and the seek all the evidence they can, including paying informants, withholding evidence and lying, to see themselves proven right...even after incontrovertible proof comes out that they are wrong. 4 star, but not for book group unless they have a stomach for the disheartening. Next up is It's Always Something by Gilda Radner. My library is doing a reading challenge with a myriad of topics to choose from between now and mid March: book with a color in the title, or book you didn't read in school kinda of stuff. So I'm pouring it on for awhile....See More- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

HOLIDAYS10 Things to Do Early for an Easier Holiday Season
Make a gift list and check supplies twice, then ensure that the house looks nice, and buy travel tickets if you’re leaving town
Full Story
HOLIDAYSYour Complete Holiday Season Planner
Use this checklist to stay organized as you get ready for Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa and New Year’s
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME8 Time Traps to Avoid This Holiday Season
Reduce stress with these scaled-back alternatives to your grand ambitions
Full Story
HOLIDAYS5 Ways to Avoid Holiday Season Burnout
You can enjoy the traditions and activities that matter to you and let go of the rest
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow Remodelers Are Handling Projects This Holiday Season
Communicating clearly with clients and adding a buffer to the timeline can ease project stress during the holidays
Full Story0

LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow Design Pros Are Handling a Busy Holiday Season
Communicating clearly with clients and adding a buffer to the timeline can ease project stress during the holidays
Full Story
HOLIDAYS8 Ways to Organize Your Home This Holiday Season
Declutter and organize your holiday supplies for the future to create a more peaceful home right now
Full Story
HOLIDAYS10 Ways to Enjoy Your Yard More This Holiday Season
Serve dessert by an outdoor fire, clip branches for decor and more
Full Story
PORCHESEntry Refresh: Step Into the Holiday Season With a New Welcome Mat
Greet guests and leave dirt behind with a stylish and functional doormat
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your December Home Checklist
Spruce up your home for days and nights spent indoors and close to home this holiday season
Full Story
annpanagain