December already! What are you reading?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (92)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
Jingle all the Way to the Library-December 'What are you reading?
Comments (150)I withdraw what I said earlier about James lee Burke's Swan Peak being disappointing. I finished listening to it yesterday as I spent 10 hours driving from Tennessee to Baltimore (an hour or so in dense fog at both ends.) SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The character introduced as a depraved bully and for whom I could see no redemption, became the man on whom I pinned hopes at the end. At some point I realized he was our hero David Robicheaux with a slightly different childhood. His violence was not different from Robicheaux's, but his primary victims were. The novel made me question my previous acceptance of Robicheaux's violence as nasty but necessary. The novel does strike me as the final David Robicheaux installment. Carolyn, I know you read it. What did you think? SPOILER OVER I also finished Wodehouse's The Code of the Woosters which had me laughing aloud....See MoreDecember: What are you reading?
Comments (78)I have been reading a couple of OOP mysteries from Betterworld and also bought a copy of "Gimme More" by Lisa Cody to read again as I enjoyed it some years ago. It has been very hot, over 100F so I was bunkered indoors with the air-conditioning on, reading and eating Christmas chocolates. I came to a part where a character remembers floating in a swimming pool which sounded enticing and then I thought "Why am I not doing that?" so instead of reading about it, I grabbed my bathing suit and walked for a full minute to the one in our Village. Sometimes I let fantasy get in the way of reality. Has anyone else ever done that?...See MoreDecember Reading--Last Books Read in 2016
Comments (111)Carolyn, I read a couple some years ago. I must check and see if my library has reprints. I am reading my books slowly at present, there seems to be so many other things to do, like dropping off to sleep! My D gave me a small CD player for Xmas with handy top buttons. Just right for listening to recorded favourite books. I have been accumulating some in case of being confined to bed or having the eye operation for cataracts. I am doing a Scarlett O'Hara on that!...See MoreOctober Already! What Are You Reading?
Comments (92)A selection of short stories Mr Wrong by Elizabeth Jane Howard was easy reading at bedtime. You'll Never See Me Again by Lesley Pearce was another undemanding book. Apparently Ms Pearce had a large following of fans who enjoy her work as so many of her characters are 'the same'. I had never come across her before and found though the story, set during WWI, was quite pacy I felt the heroine, a simple country girl, was amazingly lucky in finding employment with people who treated her as one of the family and by the end is able to marry a man way above her 'social station'. Is it just me that finds many of these popular books set in 'times gone by' could be about 'modern' people? In the above book all the better-off houses have electricity and modern plumbing. Everyone is very clean with baths/hair washing etc happening daily. Women are shown as being 'empowered' with very modern attitudes. And my old bug-bear . . . farms have hay stored in barns not in hay-stacks and agricultural labourers drive tractors; with never a horse to be seen....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESCalifornia Gardener's December Checklist
Let California's version of holly brighten the winter landscape — or consider another holiday performer from the whole host of choices
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEIt’s National Book Month — Give Your Reading Spot Some Love
Let these cozy nooks and light-washed corners inspire you to make your reading space special
Full Story
KITCHEN APPLIANCESConsidering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGBaking Soda: The Amazing All-Natural Cleanser You Already Own
Battle grime, banish odors and freshen clothes with this common nontoxic cupboard staple
Full Story
BOOKSBeautify Your Home With Things You May Already Own
Get ideas for creating vignettes, arranging collections and more in the new book ‘Domino: Your Guide to a Stylish Home’
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSDecember Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
It's time to add weather stripping, plan for holiday home safety, consider backup heating, check your emergency kits and more
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESMake Sure You Read This Before Buying New Plants
Follow these 10 plant-selection tips to avoid buyer’s remorse
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your December Home Checklist
Spruce up your home for days and nights spent indoors and close to home this holiday season
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
annpanagain