SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Pie crust mishap - possibly fortunate?

Lars
5 months ago

We had neighbors over for a barbecue yesterday (Sunday), and I started preparing food the day before (Saturday), although I probably should have started on Friday.

I was going to make pie crust on Friday and noticed I did not have shortening, but rather than go to the store, I ordered some from Amazon, and it arrived around 6 PM on Saturday, which did give me time to make the pie crust that evening, which I did.

I used the recipe that I normally use, but that recipe is for two 2-crust pies, and I only wanted to make one. The crust recipe calls for one egg, and so I looked up the weight of one egg, divided it in half and came up with 0.82 oz for half of an egg, so that I could weigh it out.

The method of the crust calls for mixing part of the flour (I used 1/2 cup WW and 1 cup AP, to start), 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 Tbsp sugar in the food processor. Then add 1/2 cup chilled shortening, cut into small pieces (I did this with a small spoon) and 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) chilled butter, also in small pieces.

I had stored a stick of butter in the freezer, uncut, but I had taken the 1/2 stick and cut into small pieces and stored it in the freezer with the pieces of shortening in a small bowl. When I took the bowl of shortening and butter out to add to the FP, I forgot to take out the whole stick of butter, and proceeded with the recipe and processed with shortening and 1/4 cup butter.

After the butter and first addition of flour had been processed for 10 seconds, I added another cup of AP flour and pulsed 4-6 times. The dough looked pretty much the way it was supposed to according to the recipe, at first like cottage cheese, and then after the rest of the flour, it was more like cornmeal.

I moved the mixture to a large bowl and added the chilled liquid (1/6 cup vodka, 1/2 egg, and 1/6 cup water - adjusted to make 1/2 cup total) and folded the dough to make it come together. It was a bit dry, and so I spritzed it with water to make it come together, and then I divided it into two flat discs, wrapped those in plastic wrap, and stored them in the refrigerator.

About half an hour later, I happened to notice that the stick of butter that I was supposed to use was still in the freezer, and I panicked a bit. Then I decided that I was somehow going to get the butter into the dough.

I took one piece of dough out and broke it into pieces into the bowl that I had used for mixing it. Then I cut the stick of butter in half and grated it and added that to the bowl and tried to stir this together. I ended up using my hands to fold the butter into the dough, but the butter remained in pieces the size that it was when it came out of the grater. I decided that this was good and formed the dough back into a disc and put it back in the fridge. Then I did the same with the other disc, and I left them in the fridge overnight.

The next morning I baked the focaccia dough that I had made the day before, and while that was baking, I made the filling for the apple pie.

The pie crust rolled out very easily, and the shreds of butter were very visible in the dough. This reminded me of a pie crust recipe that I had seen on ATK in which I think they had used a similar method of mixing the dough as I had accidentally done.

The pie came out probably better than what I had made before, but now I am wondering what I should learn from this accident.

The giraffe head is another accident.

Incidentally, while I was making the filling, I decided to add a couple of tablespoons of powdered fruit pectin - just because I had it and had not been using it. I bought it thinking it would help with my arthritis - it does not - only the liquid fruit pectin works for me for that. I think the filling holds together better now.

Comments (35)