SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Has Crisco changed here recently?

I have used Crisco for years, and always made wonderful pie crust. I'm not sure how long I had had my 'old' can of Crisco, but I'm sure it had been a while. I recently bought a new can, and did everything exactly as I had always done before, but the crust was different when I rolled it out. It was very dry and cracked all around the edges.

A GF, who uses the exact same recipe, had the same exact experience. She threw out one crust, and made another, but had to use an additional TB of water per crust, I believe she said.

So what did Crisco do? I have always stored my Crisco in the frig, but this latest can of Crisco, that had been refrigerated, seemed a lot softer than what Crisco had always been.

I'm so disappointed. They must have changed something. Years ago I tried other shortnings when making pie crusts, but always found that they were not nearly as 'perfect' as they were when I had used Crisco. What happened, and when?

The last 'good' can of Crisco, had likely been manufactured quite a while ago. It was the 3 LB can and only ever used for pie crusts.

Tia.

Sue

Oh...I just found this on another food forum...dated Aug 14, 2008

If you look at the ingredients in Crisco you'll notice that it now contains fully hydrogenated cotten seed oil. Sheep in India fed cotton seed oil died. Every single one of them. Heavy metal pesticides and toxic fertilizers are used in growing cotton as it isnt a food product...till now. Please people check your labels on your products you use consistantly, as many now contain lethal cotton seed oil. Fruit snacks, dessert cakes from a little girl named company, crisco and the list goes on and on. Peanut butter, most every brand.

I see my can contains Fully Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil.

Has anyone else 'quit' Crisco as a result of anything? What do you suggest?

Comments (50)