SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Recent changes in ole joyful's lifestyle.

joyfulguy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I've had a substantial change in activitites and interests in the past couple of weeks.

Two weeks ago this morning I awoke to find some blood in my pee.

As I'd had such a few times during my stint of radiation a year and a half ago, I didn't get all bent out of shape over it. Called the cancer clinic, they asked some questions, didn't seem overly perturbed, told me to call my doc that week.

She asked me to attend an evening clinic, but different doc, I asked to see their office, she had me visit nurse practitioner, and the sample that I provided her was really dark.

Doc had me have an ultra-sound, practitioner found something unusual in a kidney, had an X-ray.

Doc called to say she'd sent a requisition to Emerg. to have them install a catheter. On arrival, just after getting into gown, announced that I had to go pee! They directed me to bathroom, asked for a sample. I was able to only fill the bottle to about 3/4 level, of bright red bloody pee. The nurse ran an ultra-sound of my bladder, said I had a litre of liquid in there (3.85 litres make a U.S. Gal.).There was some bad news: they'd have to flush, which requires a 3-tube catheter, somewhat larger than normal ... which was installed, with some discomfort.

Over the next 6 hours or so, they ran three - three-litre bags of saline through my bladder ... and when it flows through, drop after drop after drop ... it takes a while!

They said that often the bleeding originates in the bladder and that on a number of occasions, when they run all of that fluid though, if it runs clear for a while near the end, the bleeding may stop.

That completed, when they got me fixed and ready to go home ... there was red in the outflow ... so they were disappointed (as was I, you can assume). Three hours into Canada's 150th birthday, Sat. July 1.

More later ... and, spoiler alert; some good news: the past couple of days, red appears gone!

ole joyful

Comments (97)