SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjca

Heal Quickly, Ol' Joyful!!

sjerin
13 years ago

You mentioned in another post that you were seen recently for blood clots in your lungs! I'm sorry to hear that and hope your treatment works well and quickly. That sounds a little scary to me--do you have help or at least someone to call on if necessary? I surely do hope so. Yes, you are very fortunate to live in Canada which cares for all its citizens' health. Will you check in and let us know how you're doing?

Erin

Comments (72)

• alisande
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Adding my good wishes. Keep us posted!

• heatherinohio
    13 years ago

Praying for you Ole Joyful. Hope you are 100% real soon! ((((Hugs))))

• Related Discussions

Good Luck to Ole joyful

Q

Comments (16)
    Sending good thoughts and prayers OJ's way for a successful surgery and very speedy recovery. Sue
    ...See More

Ole joyful

Q

Comments (14)
    I was later than usual two Sundays ago ... and last Sunday, it rained on Saturday and I delayed going out to pick beans, not being enthused about feeling through wet bean plants ... then, after a couple of hours, when I went out, I'd been picking for about an hour and it started to rain again. On Sunday morning ... ... I slept in ... ... so said, "The heck with it!". I've taken the veggies to the food pantry on Monday for a couple of weeks, now. A couple of charitable agencies tell me that they can give me charitable receipts for contributions in kind ... and the lady at Women's Community House said that they can only give receipts for "new" stuff (I imagine she means clothing, etc.). I forebore asking her whether she thought that my veggies might have been regurgitated. Attended the old guts' (so help me: that was supposed to have been "guys"!) coffee hour at Lambeth Church this morning - am there now, after having washed the coffee cups: they still need to go through the sanitizer. Should be home staking tomatoes. Hope you're all having a great day. o j
    ...See More

Anyone want to look ole joyful in the eye, shake his hand?

Q

Comments (39)
    Well ... I guess we can shut off the lights and close and lock the door of this thread: I'm to fly out of Detroit early evening Fri. Jan. 23 - fly out of Phoenix morn. Mon. Feb 2 ... just under $250. For folks who might be in or able to come to Phoenix, my email address is available here, and I can send daughter's address - don't remember the suburb - and phone. Got a card in mail Fri. Nov. 28 saying item to pick up at P.O., picked up passport Monday ... postmistress says it somewhat resembles me. She's supposed to have identif'n., but not too concerned ... I got out photo driver's licence ... she said she doubted that she'd let me into States on that - look too much like terrorist. Application went in Nov. 21, it was issued Nov. 26 - really quick service. I am disappointed that I'll not get to visit folks along the route ... but hope that I can meet several of you some time in the future: maybe a spring or fall trip (summer too hot). I hope also that you have the start of a fine week under your belt. ole joyful
    ...See More

Recent changes in ole joyful's lifestyle.

Q

Comments (97)
    A slight reduction in the warfarin, according to my hematologist, and altered after I had some antibiotics prescribed following the camera angling into the bladder (quite a few varying camera angles, actually). Thanks for the info about the cranberry juice, as I've been using it, trying to take a glass some time before breakfast, to let it get some good work in, as well as at other times. Will have to ease off some. Some more blood since yesterday, but my retired doc. relative tells me not to worry unless I feel light-headed (no comments, please) or otherwise a bit off, for the weekend ... if so, head to emerg.. I asked her whether, if I smiled pretty, I could drag her kicking and screaming out of retirement for about 5 min. - she smiled as she said, "O.K.". ole joyfuelled ... with some fuelling help from cranberry juice
    ...See More
  • sandiefl
    13 years ago

I will be praying for you.There are a lot of prayers coming your way.Take care of yourself, you are much loved here at the KT.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    13 years ago

Get well soon and keep us up to date on how you are doing.

• chisue
    13 years ago

Sorry for the pain. Glad for the treatment!

Is there a Visiting Nurse Assoc. near you? When I required blood thinners following hip surgery a nurse came to my home to test my blood every few days. A neat little gizmo came up with the numbers in seconds, determining how much coumadin I should take for the next few days.

• roseluver
    13 years ago

Adding my love and prayers for a speedy recovery. You take care we look forward to your post.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

My very best wishes for a fast and complete recovery.

• mawheel
    13 years ago

Please let me add my prayers and good wishes for a speedy recovery, Ole Joyful. I enjoy your posts. They may be short, but usually contain a *gem* of wisdom.

My son has been on Warfarin for several years, but doesn't always take proper care of himself. As his Mom, it's very scary!

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Texas hugs for you OJ...we'll have you on our short list :^)

• margad
    13 years ago

I am saying prayers for a swift recovery

• cheryl_ok
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear you are ill, get well fast Ed!

• dollydolots
    13 years ago

Hi Ol' Joyful....
    My DH was on Coumadin for 2 years and did very well.
    He had a huge clot behind his knee.
    Wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.
    Blessing to you.
    Dolly

• cynic
    13 years ago

Well Joyful, if your looks do start changing maybe we'll look more alike?

Feel free to stop by. We'll find some rat poison for you. We'll pick up something from White Castle. :)

Let me know if you have a sudden craving to run through a maze.

• ronf_gw
    13 years ago

I hope you're feeling better soon joyful.

Ron

• Cherryfizz
    13 years ago

Take care Ed, will keep you in my thoughts.

Anne

• Mickey15
    13 years ago

Praying for a fast recovery.
    ((((ole joyful))))

• tami_ohio
    13 years ago

Sending my prayers, also.

Tami

• czech_chick
    13 years ago

Healing prayers and good wishes coming to you from Long Island, NY.

Hope you are feeling better, Ed!

Carol

• hgl_gaylemarie
    13 years ago

Prayers and good thoughts your way!

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

Greetings all ... and thanks for your prayers and good wishes.

I'm in a bit of a hurry, but will give the gist here and add more later.

Pain while breathing awoke me early Sun morning ... when sat on john, no pain ... back in bed ... pain when took more than very shallow breath.

We have nurse on 800 number that they suggest that we use to avoid a substantial number of emerg. visits, I couldn't find number in gov't. pages phone book, called cop office, they gave me hosp number, who gave me the nurse 800 number.

After some discussion, had I had pain for more than 5 min., I'd had it intermittently for 3 hours, so she recommended 911, my choice, she could transfer ... I didn't like to disregard expert advice, but thought it not that bad, chose not call 911, so she advised going to emerg., I said that I would.

Took some tomatoes and beans to the two churches, then went to emerg., arriving just before 11 and found, after while, that I was having some pain if taking heavy breath while sitting.

Installed in cubicle about 2, they took blood for tests, gave me X-ray with chest flat to panel and through body right to left, E.C.G., etc.

Before I went home, nurse said they'd found something in my blood and would give me something to help, so she injected me and sent me home about 7.

I was walking rather slowly, as more than a shallow breath resulted in pain, and was a bit concerned, as I had a bit of a trek to the car, however, after about 300 feet, I took a bit of a deeper breath, felt something move? in there ... and could breathe much more easily.

I'd been a bit concerned as to the trek to the car being a bit chilly, as I hadn't taken a jacket ... but then I was able to navigate well, so went to tell son of the action.

He wouldn't let me go home ... and I was to go in for more tests on Mon., and to take him with me, so I got a CT scan ... technician told me that the dyes could cause metallic taste in mouth, and some hot feeling, also some hot feeling around the groin. No metallic taste, but there was hot in mouth ... then around a$$hole (censored)... but none on the other side ... so I guess that things must have atrophied beyond redemption, in that area (that passed the censor unchallenged).

I was to visit the blood area of the hosp the next day, was invited to participate in a research project, agreed, was assigned the standard treatment, they took vials of blood and gave me another shot of blood thinner, with orders to start taking the pills, 2 a day, for next two days.

Visiting nurse was to come to my place Wed., to instruct me in giving myself shots, but their confirmation call was missed as I hadn't got home (answering machine full). Next morn. I called V O N, they had no record, called hosp., soon had call from Community Care Access Centre that administers Home Care, they'd send someone later in day ... I said could I go somewhere to get shot, she said that wasn't readily possible, I said how about I give myself a shot, she agreed, I did.

The nurse was to come about suppertime, called to say about 9, said I got a gold star for doing it right, and as I was to have a blood test in town before 10 today (Thur), she slotted the next visit for noon ... but the guy arrived about 10, just after I'd left for test ... then went to the Old Farts' coffee club at church, and back home. Nurse called, came just after noon, said I was doing shot O.K., and I got a call from haematology nurse to tell me to take 2 pills per day for the next two days, with next test Sat. morning and doc to call me later that day with instructions how many pills to take over weekend.

I expect the shots to operate for about a week, until the pills begin to take full effect.

I seldom have any discomfort now and things are going well.

Cost s0 far ... about $90. for the rat pills.

Rats!!

Going now to visit son ... with tomatoes, some half spoiled, but his lady uses them for processing ... I've brought a pan to carry the scrap back home, to dump on to the garden.

They say that they exepct that the next installation of the foam into the leg to shrink the vein, which was to take place in a week or two, will likely be postponed.

Again ... thanks for the good wishes ... and the prayers.

Ole joyful's feeling pretty well himself.

ole joyful

• ivamae
    13 years ago

So glad you posted, Ed. I posted on your other posting and tried to call you to-day. I tried to find Bruce's number but wasn't sure any listed were his.

Why are you paying for the warfarin? It is covered by the Governmnt Seniors plan as many other drugs are. I haven't paid for any of mine in the last 3 years. What strength are you taking?

Certainly wishing you all the best. but does the Dr. know you are doing all this stuff so quickly. I think he might be very upset with you and rightfully so, in my opinion.

Take care of yourself.

ivamae

• trisha57_ny
    13 years ago

here on this forum. You have to know this. We all can be arguing about anything, but when you come in and state your opinion, I'm like well "shut that back door!"
    I always look for your opinions. Glad you are doing okay. If you need anything, please just ask. Love you.

• donna_oh
    13 years ago

Oh wow, glad to hear you're feeling better!

You take care--still gonna say some prayers for ya!

Donna (^_^)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

So, what did they diagnose? or are you scheduled for more tests next week? Like someone else said, you should slow down a bit and not do too much so soon. I haven't been on KT very long, haven't "known" you as long as the others but want to say I'm thinking of you too.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

Did they figure out what caused the blood clots and how you can avoid them in the future?

• cheerful1_gw
    13 years ago

Good thoughts coming your way, Joyful!

• neesie
    13 years ago

Take care, Ole Joyful. I always look forward to reading your posts. So glad you updated us!

• sjerin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're one in a million, Ol' Joyful! I'm so glad you are faring better and like the others, hope you keep your activities down to a dull roar. Are the clots in your legs as well as your lungs? It must have been frightening not to have been able to breathe without pain. Take it EASY and check in again when you can! (You must have some compost pile!)
    Erin

• ivamae
    13 years ago

Yes, ole joyful. I hope you can post soon. Also hope you got my note.

We do really care and are concerned. My father, my daugter and my son-n-law have had blood clots. My father and my son-in-law were numerous. They were all told to keep quite inactive. All three of them were hospitalized. That is why I'm so concerned about all your activities.

Please take care. I know you are so used to being on the go all the time and working so hard in your huge garden, that taking it easy is not your style.

Better safe than sorry!!!

ivamae

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

Hope your feeling better and back to you ole joyful self real soon.

• cynic
    13 years ago

Only our old Joyful would decide to go to an emergency room, but have to make a few deliveries first! Sheesh! Get your priorities straight there boy! LOL

• drewsmaga
    13 years ago

Ed, my prayers are for your complete and quick healing. You are the "Elder Statesman" here with your wise and insightful posts and comments and we NEED you advising us for AT LEAST another 20 yrs.! Blessings, Pat

• ivamae
    13 years ago

He phoned me last night to return my call, and it sounds like eveything is under contol and that he is doing as well as can be expected.

He's a tough cookie and I'm sure in many ways that helps.
    I refuse to say " old cookie" as I'm almost as old.

All the best Ed and thanks so much for the chat last night.

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

The first visiting nurse told me that I got a gold star for doing the injection just right (I'd done it without, that morning, but the nurse in haematology had instructed me, the day before). And I've seen it done, a number of times, over the years: one hopes that at least some of the message had sunk in.

Then while I was telling her that, as a number of the ripening tomatoes were rotting on the vine, and green ones, as well, I'd figured that whatever didn't get to the churches that morning were dead dogs, so picked some tomatoes on the Sunday morning and took two trays of them and beans picked Sat. evening to the churches, she looked at me and said, with some emphasis, that I am a very lucky man ... and she and the other visiting nurse, when they asked my age, looked at me and said that they couldn't believe that I'm over 80.

So when the haematology nurse called to tell me how many pills to take for the next couple of days, I asked her whether, in the light of the other nurse's comments, when I was telling of picking tomatoes, had I been playing with fire/juggling bombs? She asked whether I'd had any discomfort/pain, or been short of breath, and I said not, and that I'd been watching for them, she said that she thought that I hadn't been playing with fire, that it was not an especially big deal.

I had another blood test this morning and the doc is to call later to tell me how many pills to take tonight and tomorrow, and have another test Mon.

Now, as soon as I get out of time here at the library, I have to get home and take another shot, as I'll be crowding the time boundary.

I have had next to no discomfort, and am taking it rather easy.

It's been quite a wake-up call during the past few days, I can tell you.

When son was with me at haematology and I'd said that the blood donor people had found something in my blood sort of similar to HIV several years ago and would not take any more blood ...

... son's head went up in the air about a foot, I think ... and in a few minutes, he announced that Dad didn't know it yet ... but that he was going to get an HIV test! Doc allowed as how there were some harmless similar systems ... and that it might have been a false positive.

After the last report, I took a bunch of tomatoes to son's and his lady and I chopped out the bad parts and I took them home to put into the compost pile ... a shame to add them to city's landfill. I was putting the tray of them into the car as the male nurse drove in, the other day, and he said that the agility that I showed as I was doing it led him to think that I was not the patient ... that the patient must be inside the house.

Gas has just gone up ... I guess I'll have to take to hitch-hiking ... but that wouldn't be so hot, today, as it's been raining rather steadily. Chilly, too - there's a rumour going around that it's fall??

Thanks for your good wishes, everyone.

ole joyful

• chisue
    13 years ago

Ed -- There's 'tough' and there's STOOPID. We never thought the latter of you. Don't prove us wrong. DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU, to the letter!

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

I'm paying attention to the doc ...

... who'd phoned on Sat. to say that for Sat. night and Sunday night - 0 pills.

Another test this morning, and will likely hear the verdict when I get home.

Rained Sat. ... including Sat. evening, and they had pizza and movie night at church, so I went ... and it rained a bit Sun. morning.

I'd been feeling fine all week ...

... so took four zucchini to the two churches, with a poster, "Veggies available: Beans, green and yellow, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, kohlrabi, squash, tomatoes (beefsteak - major rotting on vine; cherry), zucchini.

They're mainly in the garden, due to: *rain *partying [the pizza night] *early church (1) *illness *laziness *your choice.

Call Ed at &&& &&& for directions for U-pic or to make arrangments".

Got a bit of a smile from several.

Shots run out toorrow ... unless I hear differently.

Enjoying life ... and watching myself.

All-candidates' meeting in Community Centre next door in prep. for municipal elections shortly ... just started, so I'd better go.

'Bye, now ... thanks for the good wishes and prayers.

ole joyful ... who may be dumb ... but he ain't stupid ... well, most of the time

1. For a few weeks, I've picked some things Sat. and some Sun. morning, usually arriving at church when coffee hour is going, but yesterday I went to the 9:00 Taize service, usual service is at 10:30.

o j

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

Good news last night - to stop the shots (was taking two per day and had enough materials to last till today).

But - a problem: I don't know whether I'm coming or going!

There were two phone calls ... one said to take half of a pill Monday night, then none either Tues. or Wed., and another test Thurs. morning, while the second call said no pill Mon night, 1/2 of a pill Tues. night, and no pill Wed. night, and a test Thurs. morning.

So I'm going to take half of a pill tonight.

Feeling fine.

ole joyful

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

So good to read you are doing well!! Did they find out what caused the clots, and how to prevent them in the future?

• cheryl_down_under
    13 years ago

Hope that you are feeling better, old joyful - you are in my thoughts - and take care of yourself.

• sjerin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so glad you're feeling fine, OJ, and hope those clots are a-bustin'. Good boy on taking your meds, though it's not always clear when and how much! It never hurts to call for clarification, if you can. You seem to be getting very good care, and I'm glad for that. Good thing the garden's about finished, eh?!

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

Hi cynic ...

... has anyone ever told you ...

... you're a-maz-ing!

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

Now I'm to take 1/2 pill a day for two days of the week, a pill a day fior the other five days.

Had an ultrasound of the leg the other day - haven't heard result.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

I was near deadline at the other library this afternoon.

Haven't heard the result of the untrasound on the leg at haematology - they're trying to find whether they think that the clot originated there, or was generated in the lung, it seems.

At an appointment today with the folks who did the injection of the foamy stuff into the near-surface vein in the leg to shrink it, just over a couple of weeks prior to the embolism, the doctor told son and me that, as an elective and non-essential procedure, that they'd do no more of them, just in case ... it seems that they deal with near-surface veins only (sort of like regular roads), that the deep veins in the legs are the main carriers (sort of like the freeway). The matter of the clotting could be life-threatening, and they do not want to take chances in that department ... so all that they can offer is compression.

As I've been having trouble with the socks that I wash when I take them off at night not being fully dry in the rather chilly house by the second morning ... I ordered a third pair of knee-high pressure socks this morning.

The doctor at that clinic has scheduled me for another ultrasound, as she wants to get a picture of what's going on in that leg.

I'm to visit my regular doctor for (more or less) annual physical in a couple of weeks.

So things seem to be going well.

I've had no pain or discomfort since shortly after I left the emergency department of the hospital on the evening of the occurence: I'm a thankful patient.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

Son and I visited the doc. where they shot one of the veins in the thigh for varicose veins with foamy stuff just over a couple of weeks before the embolism, she says that they'll not do any more shots, so it looks as though she suspects that the earlier one may have had a hand in the embolism. In any case, she says that the treatment for the veins is to offer some help, but that embolisms can be life-threatening.

So all that they can offer me is compression.

I ordered a third pair of squeezy socks (knee-high) as when I wash the ones that I wear each night on removal before bed, they have a hard time getting dry by the second morning when I need to wear them again, in this cool house.

Thus it eems that things are going well.

I'm to visit lab for blood sample tomorrow to see how my level of Warfarin is doing.

To see my regular doc. for regular physical next week.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

I figure that, even though there were few tickets, that I won the lottery.

When a clot goes to the heart - heart attack.

To the head - a stroke.

I had a short-lived pain, and some discomfort for a time, on one day, and after they gave me a shot of blood thinner, after I walked a short distance, there was something that gave way in my lung, and I could breathe much more easily.

Since that time, I've been able to do pretty well what I was able to do before.

I'm watching what I'm doing, and being careful.

And it seems that they have the thinner program worked pretty well, for they're having me have tests at intervals of a little over a month, and last time it was to take the pills in the same way as before.

Another test today, and I expect that there'll be an instruction on my answering machine when I get home as to what dosages I should use for the next while.

I'm a thankful guy, I can tell you.

ole joyful

• kacram
    13 years ago

((((((((((Joyful))))))))))

• sjerin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm soooo glad to hear you are doing well and living up to your name, Ed!! Good boy for following doctors' directions!!

• nanny98
    13 years ago

Very glad for the update, OJ. I now have a DH starting on similar blood thinner tomorrow (not comfortable with it) so you keep following orders and being my "inspiration", while I keep re-assuring us both that they are ok (blood thinners).

Nanny

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

Tell 'em you're not going to jump ED!!

Reminds me of a story I heard on the radio by a minister who went to some kind of conference in NYC His hotel room had a balcony and she went out to look around the people liiked like ants below and he said the devil (or a devilish thought) whispered in his ear "Why don't you just jump!!"

He said he truned and said "NO Way I'm not going to jump You jump" and that was it.

With your background I think you can ge the message here. Wish I had taped that program
    Don't Jump!!