SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Ole joyful's request

joyfulguy
16 years ago

I had a couple of accidents about a year ago, one of them chargeable. No injuries to speak of, one vehicle written off, the other should have been but I fixed it, as my contribution to reducing energy use, plus avoiding adding to pollution and global warming.

Which, as I'm over 70 and was in a chargeable accident, brought a letter from the Ministry of Transportation inviting me to take a vision, written and driving test to confirm that I was still capable of driving safely.

I hadn't paid more than passing attention to the traffic rules for a number of years, though I have done some checking of rules, from time to time.

I suspect that many of you may have not done so, as well.

I have had to do some major re-evaluation of my driving capabilities, and to reconsider how much I value the privilege of driving, in recent months.

My vision is fine for regular licence, but not now, due to cataracts, with lenses to be replaced soon, for the truck licence that I've had for years but haven't used recently.

I passed the written exam, but failed the driving exam twice, had a couple of sessions with a driving instructor, and passed the third driving test, yesterday.

Our smallish "Driver's Handbook" costs about $15.00 (and I suggested to the road test people that they should rent them out). I've borrowed a copy from the library and renewed it several times - only two renewals allowed from one system, but I borrowed from two systems.

Does your Province/State have such an instruction book?

Have you examined it lately?

May I suggest that you give some thought during the next few days to what you'd do to achieve what you're doing, if you lost your driving privileges?

How long has it been since you've updated yourself on the rules of the road?

How about borrowing the rule book from your local library and spending some time studying it. If they don't have them, how about buying one and donating it to the local library after you've spent some time with it?

Then evaluate your driving.

Plus, encourage your spouse to check out the traffic rules, as well, and when driving, check the driving habits of the partner ...

... with a view to helping one another upgrade, rather than being judgemental.

I think that would be a good project for us all to undertake, from time to time.

Good wishes for safe driving, good health and a long life for all of you, avoiding the personal damage that often results from vehicle accidents plus avoiding administering such to others, as well.

ole joyful

Comments (23)