SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

This is my LAST Thanksgiving dinner ever.

caroline94535
10 years ago

No more.

Not worth it.

No joy and no thankfulness. I'll be thankful only when it's over.

I'm throwing in my oven mits.

Sam just ate my beautiful, from-scratch, pumpkin pie. Broke my vintage deep dish pie pan, too. Now I have a smeared mess of pumpkin filling, glass, sugar, flakey pie crust, etc. all over the floor of my sewing room. Yes; the pie and cornbread was on a TV tray in the sewing room to keep them "safe" from the dogs. I didn't have one square inch of "safe" space to store them in the kitchen.

I don't know how he got the door open.

I've spent three days planning, preparing, shopping, wresting dogs, trying to keep them out of my cramped, ugly, impossible to keep clean kitchen.

I've sliced and diced and prepped and cooked and planned since Monday. I've stood on my still-weeping from surgery sore feet all day long. Every task takes at least four times as long because I have to stop to tend the dogs (Harry alone was n-e-v-e-r a problem) or corral the dogs, or re-clean the counters because they were sneaking food...or wheedle and whine to get DH to watch them for 10 minutes here and there.

Not worth it.

I'll go ahead and roast the #@!*& turkey breast and finish making the dressing. I'll put it all on the table and watch everyone eat. I'll spend the evening washing and scouring and cleaning and trudging pans upstairs and down.

Then I'm tossing the pilgrims and stands of autumn leaves.

No more "festival" of three days of cooking and cleaning in the name of a "holiday." Not to mention TWO trips (45-minutes each way) to town to get the special groceries.

If I didn't have company coming I'd toss the raw turkey, chicken and pheasant to the dogs and call it good.

I do have a frozen pecan pie in the freezer. I have to get the dressing and birds into the oven at a certain time. I won't have space to bake another pie. That was today's task.

I'll be thankful...thankful that in 24 hours this will all be over.

Comments (48)

• Lindsey_CA
    10 years ago

I am SO sorry that this is turning out to be so awful for you. Next year, either order a complete meal (to go) from a restaurant or grocery store, or just go to a restaurant and eat dinner there. No hassle, good food, and you can enjoy yourself and the day.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear that your dinner "went to the dogs".

• Related Discussions

It's that time again! I'm going to cook Thanksgiving dinner

Q

Comments (15)
    I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow. Our T-day is going to be on Friday this year, because of various travel schedules, not to mention the several people who wanted to have dinner at their in-laws AND wanted to have dinner at DD's. I'm actually pleased ~~ for once, I won't be rushing home from work to start the prep for all the veggie dishes. Five vegs this year: cream-cheese/chili corn, harvard beets, gingered carrots & pears, snap peas (a change from the spinach squares), and a broccoli/cauliflower dish that has a nutmeg/cheddar sauce. Tried this last year and it was a success. 1 big bag of baby carrots, thoroughly rinsed, and the fat ones cut in half lengthwise. Dump in big pot of lightly salted boiling water, let boil for 10 minutes. While the carrots are cooking, open and drain a can of sliced pears -- this year, I'll have to slice halves, no pre-sliced in stock at the store. Put about ½ cup of pear jelly [or pear jam or apple jelly] in a small bowl and nuke just until warm and mostly melted. Stir ½ teaspoon ground ginger OR 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger into the melted jelly. Taste jelly and add more ginger if needed (you should be able to clearly taste the ginger). Depending on how many carrots, you may need to double the gingered jelly. Drain the carrots and dump into a large bowl. Pour the gingered jelly over and stir until all carrots are coated. Fold in the pear slices. For the dinner, it does very well on a warming tray, not going mushy. Have a good day, and may all your Thanksgiving dishes be wonderful.
    ...See More

Paying penance for Thanksgiving fiasco...Sunday Dinner

Q

Comments (7)
    Here it is Joann. I do have Patti's name beside it. You have to plan ahead, it sits overnight with the spices on it. I think I might cook it on foil, because of the caramelization. The roaster might be hard to clean otherwise. Sticky Chicken 3 lb roasting chicken 2 tsp salt 1 tsp paprika 3/4 tsp cayenne 1/2 tsp onion powder 1/2 tsp thyme 1/4 tsp garlic powder 1/4 tsp pepper 1 cup chopped onion Combine spices. Rinse chicken and drain well. Rub spice mixture over skin and inside cavity. Place in resealable bag and refrigerate overnight. Stuff cavity with onions. Place breast-side down in roasting pan. Roast, uncovered at 250 degrees for 5 hours. Internal temp should reach 155 easily. Baste occasionally with pan juices, roasting until juices start to caramelize in bottom of pan and chicken is golden brown.
    ...See More

Thanksgiving's a memory, what's for Christmas dinner?

Q

Comments (24)
    Mabel, for the carrots, I reduce 1/2 cup of spiced rum and 1/2 cup of water to about 1/4 cup and add it to taste to 1/2 cup of browned butter and drizzle over previously cooked carrots with a sprinkle of lime zest. They reheat great in the microwave. DURGIN-PARK BAKED HAM 1 (5 to 6 pound) smoked ham 3/4 cup fresh orange juice 1/2 cup dry sherry 1 cup honey Whole cloves 1 cup packed dark brown sugar 2 Tbs. dry mustard Trim the skin from the ham, leaving a thin, even layer of fat. With a skewer, poke the ham all over at 2-inch intervals. Place the ham in a large resealable plastic bag, and place in a large shallow pan. Combine the orange juice, sherry, and honey; pour over the ham and seal the bag securely. Marinate in the refrigerator for three days, turning the ham every 12 hours. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Remove the ham from the bag, reserving the marinade. In a shallow roasting pan, with the ham fat side up, score the fat in a diamond design and stud with cloves. Insert a meat thermometer, making sure it does not touch bone. Pour all but a tablespoon of the marinade over the ham. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat thermometer registers 130 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and the tablespoon of the reserved marinade and brush the exposed portion of the ham. Cover with a tent of aluminum foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 140. Remove from the oven and allow the meat to stand for 10 minutes; then thinly slice and serve. 10 to 12 servings.
    ...See More

Thanksgiving dinner done.

Q

Comments (4)
    That's too bad about your daughters friends. But it was very kind of you to send them plates. I feel like I end up working every holiday because someone else always either takes the week for vacation or calls in sick and I'm stuck covering for them. This year i will miss both my mom's and my sister's thanksgiving dinners because I am working. I work 12 hour shifts, and despite their insistence that I can get by with just an hour or so of sleep to come and spend the day with them,I don't go. Every year SO brings me a plate of food from his mom on thanksgiving and Christmas, and he will bring it to me at work. I might stop by my sister's house on my way to work,but I may not get up in time. My mom lives 45 minutes away,and won't budge on the day she is having hers in order to accommodate some of my other siblings,who have school age kids. So I won't be attending hers. Every time I take my car to a shop or even the dealership to have something fixed,i leave with something else broken. That is why SO is in charge if all auto repairs now.
    ...See More
  • craftycris
    10 years ago

((((((Caroline))))))

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I feel your pain, I had an Afghan Hound that managed to some how drag the giant roasting pan with the Christmas ham beautifully baked and ready for the hour long trip to the family off the counter onto the kitchen floor and devour the entire ham. Of course spreading the gravy over the whole kitchen floor. Believe me I feel your pain. Try finding another decent ham on Christmas day etc.

What you need to do rather than let it build up inside of you and destroy your day is tell your husband and family members that you will no longer do it with out full assistance from everyone and the dogs are strictly some ones responsibility and if they fail to handle their task they will not be having dinner.
    You doing this with your feet in that condition is crazy. You can cause serious problems.
    Just put one of those poor feet down and lay down the law.

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

(((((caroline)))))

• Orchidllauraga
    10 years ago

Yes, next year make out your menu and assign everyone a couple of dishes to make and bring with them. That is what my SIL did this year. My dishes are the dressing, gravy, peanut butter pie, deviled eggs, and pumpkin bread. As a bonus we are bringing a couple of my Daddy's Famous Cheese Roll and crackers.

I am sorry that the Thanksgiving meal has turned out so awful. Fix yourself an adult beverage or two & relax...

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

I would be ready to chuck the dogs...they are the issue not Thanksgiving. Your place sounds too small for them anyway.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    10 years ago

I am sorry about the mess you have had. I myself know how much work it is to fix a meal and work on it for days and then it is eaten in less than an hour. We all keep doing it though. I can say I have yet to have a mishap like you had though.

Sue

• juellie1962
    10 years ago

I'd get rid of the dogs before I got rid of Thanksgiving!!
    Sounds like you need some help! Don't any of your guests know you just had surgery?? If they didn't offer help, you need to ask for it! Sorry, probably sounding kind of cold, but don't make yourself miserable; enjoy the day with the help of your family/friends!

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

Time to start a pot luck Thanksgiving tradition! Everyone brings a dish. You could maybe do the turkey since it would be hard to lug around from one house to another. Everyone brings all the rest of the food! That's the only way to go if you ask me! Why should YOU be solely responsible for everything. And truth be known, you probably should not even be on your feet if you just had surgery! I would hate TG too if I had to do all that! The dog deal was just the straw that broke the camel's back!

• socks
    10 years ago

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad on what should be a good day. You must be worn-out and unable to deal with the pie being ruined and your dish too. Tell people how you are feeling, and maybe they can pitch in and help.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    10 years ago

I feel your pain. Two marathon cooking sessions in less than a month don't make me feel too thankful either. I am most often thankful when December 26 finally rolls around.

Seriously though, the bright side is that I am thankful to have the food to cook and I am thankful that my children and children
    are here in good health to enjoy it.

I hope that you have a blessed Thanksgiving, Caroline.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"I would be ready to chuck the dogs...they are the issue not Thanksgiving. Your place sounds too small for them anyway."

Seriously!

So sorry this happened to you!

• nicole__
    10 years ago

Untrained dogs are wild animals.....I know you love them....but a heated dog house for the seasons cooking days .....outdoors......may be a blessing for your whole family.

I LOVE Thanksgiving and cooking and all the hustle and bustle and festivities......and being appreciated for all that I do..... :0) What a treat!

• Toni S
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry your having such a bad day. Sounds like you need a break and some new arrangements. Ravencajun has some wise words I'll ditto.
    Guess your dealing with today tho. Take a deep breath, call one of the kids and have them bring a pie from the store bakery. Get the dh to do the dishes now needing washed and give him a big kiss when he's done, even if you want to bat his buns.

We're heading to my MIL's house. All the kids live nearby- so we all make the food and meet at her house. I can't imaging having her do the bulk of it even though she is still capable at the age of 80. On another thought, I recall at the first of our marriage, that the guys were asked to do NOTHING. I wasn't used to that strange quirk of theirs. So odd to me. Now over 25 years later, I have infused some new ideas into our meals. The new fellows do some things, my dh,the only one I have any influence over, will make food with my guidance, do some serving and the best part, pick up dishes afterwards. I'll admit there were a couple of "to H*ll with this" moments in the beginning, but a day of good sleep and thought, kept me persistent in my goals. I think now, 25 years later, everyone is enjoying our rolls. Yes, the gals still do the biggest part of the meal. This year I'm thrilled to say my SIL's boyfriend is making the turkey and she is bringing a desert. MIL is nice enough to direct what kind of food to bring. Like a salad, vegetable, potato of some kind, rolls. We decide what recipe.
    Sorry to ramble, you just need a kind ear. I just hope you can introduce some new ideas so you are less stressed!

• suzieque
    10 years ago

How sad that you're having this experience on a day that we're giving thanks for all that we have. I understand the frustration and the work involved. I agree that you will get much more out of the day and be able to experience it for what it is if you don't go to all this trouble.

As for getting rid of the dogs as some suggest - no, I don't agree with that.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

I'm sorry Carolyn that you are feeling this way. And. I completly understand your feelings.

There is no simple answer..and quite frankly you weren't really asking for one..you were just venting.

I hope that you can find something to laugh about today.

• chisue
    10 years ago

I long ago decided that I would no longer make myself sick doing these holiday 'celebrations'. When did "Thanks" require a five course meal, made by one woman in a family kitchen, without staff? We've been brainwashed by advertising and the mass media it funds.

There is too little reward for the work involved. The elaborate feast you have spent days preparing is OVER in under an hour, leaving you with another four hours of cleaning up. The work/result ratio is too skewed for me.

• momrox4
    10 years ago

I don't mean to make light of your woes (I'd be upset, too) but your post had me ROFL! Hopefully, one day soon you will laugh too.

BTW, Erma Bombeck had nothing on you!

• workoutlady
    10 years ago

I'm sorry this is happening. I'm not sure if you need new dogs or a new husband. It sounds like you need a new husband - - I'm just kidding though. You can't do anything about it this year but if you decide to do this next year, make sure you make it a potluck and put the dogs and hubby outside. Here in Wisconsin it's deer hunting time and while many people question the wisdom of having deer hunting the same time as Thanksgiving, it makes sense to me. The men are gone and out of the way so we can get the food ready. I love it.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

There are so many people who love to cook, I am not one of them!
    That said, I like to provide a festive holiday dinner for my family.

I have cut back on what I do.Since I have two vegetarian daughters, I have to make different stuffing, and provide a meatless entree. Two different potatoes (a diabetic sister is coming)
    To make things easier, my oldest told me to make the Tofurky the night ahead. They ate half last night and will have the rest today.

I try to keep things as simple as I can. Store bought gravy, canned cranberry sauce etc. So although there will be many choices, none are complicated.
    Caroline, only you can decided what you want to do next year. Are many people depending on you for their holiday celebration?

In years past I asked my sister to host. Now it's back on me. Would someone else step up to the plate if asked? Some people have no idea that you would be willing to take a break.
    Or, as other have suggested, start assigning dishes. Make reservations instead of cooking. Or as one poster suggested, have it catered. As we get older things just become more over whelming.
    Wishing you a happy holiday!

• eccentric
    10 years ago

Sorry you had such an awful day. Re the dogs, I have found that it doesn't matter if you have a 4 lb. Chi or a Great Dane, if there is food that they want they will find a way to get it. Our former mini Dachshunds were expert at this - and our current dog, an American Eskimo with very human-like paws (thankfully no thumbs) can get into anything. Reminds me of the time my aunt made homemade soup that she added a huge brisket to once on the table. Well, she turned her back for a moment - and the brisket was gone. The Beagle sure enjoyed it though. I know people that live in monster homes and others - like my husband and me - that live in small bungalows - size of house doesn't matter - the dogs will find the food. I do think that your family should have pitched in - a lot - especially considering the situation with your feet. I would make your DH do some of the work and start calling around for someone else to make the dessert - and next year, should this become a funny memory for you - and you decide to host Thanksgiving again - make everyone brings something. I am sure your dogs enjoyed the pie! Mine would have - and our former Alpha Dachshund sure enjoyed the stuff he ate. By the way, I trust the dog more than my husband when it comes to NOT TOUCHING the food.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Ugh, that sounds just horrible and I would quit in protest, too. How many are coming? No one can understand the amount of time, energy and expense go in to creating a meal like Thanksgiving. Even if you didn't have to do any cooking, you still have to clean the house, set a beautiful table, be gracious and clean up. Phooey.

I bet Norman Rockwell never cooked even one holiday meal. I bet he was off in his studio painting to escape the work and commotion.

The entire holiday season has gotten out of hand with all the stress and pressure.

One time my husky ate the roast beef off the kitchen counter. A couple years later I "re-homed" him with my uncle who had a big property in Bucks County. He was just too much dog for my living situation. I missed him for about five minutes.

• Jodi_SoCal
    10 years ago

Oh my, big hugs to you Caroline.

You and Sam I think have been at odds with each other since day one so it doesn't surprise me that his spirit and wayward ways finish off the Thanksgiving tradition for you. Find a way to celebrate Thanksgiving that doesn't require a big, tempting production for Sam to ruin and frustration for you. Hope the rest of your day/weekend goes more smoothly.

Jodi-

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

(((((Caroline)))))

I second the idea of having visitors bring/contribute some/most of the feast.

Hope the day is improving.

ole joyful

• Cherryfizz
    10 years ago

((Caroline)) I feel your pain. I also had a horrible Thanksgiving/birthday weekend in October and vowed I would never ever make another holiday dinner for anyone in my family ever again but mine was caused by a visiting relative who caused me to get stressed, then when my sister showed up in a bad mood I raised my voice to her and she left in a huff. I then had to call in the recruits to save me from the person causing me my grief and stress and my first panic attack ever over something she had no business getting her nose into.

I can laugh about it now, my sister is talking to me again, I haven't really spoken to the other yet because I might tell her off haha. I am going to have Christmas dinner still and if my sister wants to come she is welcome but if not, no skin off my nose, I have others who will be here.

I had never experienced a messy holiday before, that was the first and hopefully the last. Oh the joys of the holidays

Wishing you a bit more peace in your day.

• clubm
    10 years ago

Oh geeze!!! You have your hands full. Try taking a few deep breaths.
    I find this time of year very stressful. Hang in there n try to enjoy the
    rest of the day. Please don't hesitate to delegate the work.

• clubm
    10 years ago

Also,we all have been there with our pets helping themselves n get
    annoyed with them but we love them anyway unconditionally. :)

• YogaLady1948
    10 years ago

Caroline, I now delete certain people and certain traditions, that do not fit into my life or make me feel stressed. My kids are grown, it is just DH and I~~~I was feeling very stressed about the holidays a few years back. We now go away for Thanksgiving week, my DH and I, we love it and the kids do not have to decide who to spend time with, they can all do whatever and it does not make us feel bad. We also now do Christmas a week before the holiday. WOW! That is the best, we do pot luck, play games and just relax~~no traffic, no one needing to run over to the inlaws houses.

Sit and think about how 'you' want it to be and tweak everything to your liking. It really shold not be a day you are so stressed out and ready to cry.

PS~~~~talk to your DH he needs to help!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Caroline, sending you hugs!!! Dogs and husbands can be the very dickens, can't they? I hope you are feeling better tomorrow.

• kittiemom
    10 years ago

Caroline, I hope that your day improves & you are feeling better soon. I certainly understand. When we moved into our new house several years ago, we finally had some extra space to have family over for the holidays. We did it a couple of times for Thanksgiving & Easter. DH & I spent all our time off work shopping, prepping, cooking & cleaning. Everyone came & eat, visited for a bit & then left the mess for us to clean up. Then two years ago at Christmas, we did the cooking & carried everything to DH's brother's house. We were up early Christmas morning & spent until 1pm cooking. By the time we were done cooking, DH & I were both in a bad mood.I resented spending basically every moment of my couple of days off work prepping & cooking. We didn't get a chance to relax until late afternoon & I was back at work the next day. That was the last time we've done a full holiday meal.

I don't mind carrying a few dishes for a pot luck, but never again will we host or cook the entire meal. The holidays aren't supposed to be stressful, but that's what ends up happening a lot of times.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

The stress is what we make it.

I have been there..and decided I don't care what any one thinks..I do what I want and it makes me happy.

I love to cook and bake..but I refuse to wear myself out to do so.

This year I have made it so simple.

However, not all the "traditional" items are making my meal. There will be no gravy, no mashed taters and no dressing at this meal.

But I promised Kian that I will make a turkey breast meal with the works next weekend or the weekend after. We both love leftover casserole. But we don't need a huge pan of it. :)

• pekemom
    10 years ago

Sorry about your Thanksgiving....you are expecting too much of yourself, no wonder you are sad....let others help if at all possible, or go out for a Thanksgiving dinner...I'm 66 and that's what we do now...everyone grown and gone to different parts of the country...My wish is that you can look back and laugh...((hugs to you))

• linda_in_iowa
    10 years ago

Caroline, are those dogs crate trained? Could they be in your backyard for a few hours? One of my veterinarians taught me what they do at their house. Food is always put in the oven, microwave or a cupboard away from the dogs. My Lab has stolen food from my counters many times. Now I don't give him the opportunity.
    Bless your heart, sit down and have a glass of wine. Tell everyone that next year it will be potluck.

• jannie
    10 years ago

I'm sorry your Thanksgiving has turned out so bad. Next year make restaurant reservations. And don't bring the dogs...

• katlan
    10 years ago

o.k., so I guess I don't know the story behind the dogs. In any case, you have to whine and wheedle DH to watch then for ten minutes? Really?

You're making all this food for everyone, while trying to recovery from surgery, and no one even offered to help? Really?

Seriously, next year tell everyone they are helping, or there's no Thanksgiving at your house.

Out of that whole story I have the biggest problem with DH not helping AT ALL. That's just wrong and hurtful and uncaring. I would open the door and put the dogs outside. And if there's no yard, then DH better go after them.

I'm very sorry your Thanksgiving is so miserable. I really wish it would have been better. Bless your heart. And bust out the alcohol.

• sleeperblues
    10 years ago

I am seriously depressed after reading this post.

• sleeperblues
    10 years ago

I am seriously depressed after reading this post.

• sjerin
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry, Caroline. I'm pretty sure I would sit down on the floor and bawl my eyes out. Would it help to feed the dogs twice what they usually get in the morning?

• alisande
    10 years ago

Caroline, I'm reminded of a Thanksgiving of many years ago that took place days after Thistle, our German Shepherd, was discharged from the veterinary hospital after two surgeries on her throat, which had been shot by somebody with a deer rifle. We were, of course, very careful with her, feeding only soft foods.

After dinner my DH and I went for a walk with the kids, and when we returned, what was left of our large turkey wasn't left anymore--it was gone. In fact, we saw the last of it (a drumstick) disappearing down Thistle's throat. Yes, the same throat that had been operated on. Twice.

Remarkably, she survived. And so did we. And so will you. Maybe this will even be like childbirth for you, and next year you will have forgotten all about the bad parts of today. :-)

• PattiG(rose)
    10 years ago

I'm on the fence about Thanksgiving every year...I both love it and hate it. I love the family get-together time, but hate all the work. My sister and I are responsible for the bulk of it and it IS a lot of work...good thing it's only once a year. My thoughts are with you, Caroline...but I think it's true that you will look back and laugh about it. I know our family has never had one of those "Norman Rockwell Thanksgivings".

• carol_in_california
    10 years ago

Caroline, next year come to my house.
    You and Harry can come and you can leave Sam with your DH. LOL
    Hope you are having a better evening.....rest and take care of yourself the rest of the weekend.

• satine_gw
    10 years ago

I also had a day which I am sure I won't forget. My family was together for the first time in quite a while and I was feeling so content. Almost finished with dinner when oldest daughter took offense at something my middle daughter said in jest and certainly not maliciously. Oldest daughter said very loudly that we all come and eat her food that she has prepared and then criticize her and the way she lives. She said if we don't like the way she is we can just stay home. We all sat in shock including her husband. He kept saying that we were just having fun and honestly and truly there was nothing mean or disrespectful said. She ended up leaving the table and when I tried to approach her she told me to leave her alone. We have had so much sadness and difficult times in the last few years and this seemed to be a special holiday. I just don't even know what to say to her and we are supposed to be going out of town tomorrow (me and her family). I am really heartbroken and I think this may cause a permanent split in the family. I never in a million years would have expected this from her and Im very sad.
    Caroline, I am so sorry-didn't mean to hijack your post. I do want to let you know I understand the pain and empty feeling you must have. Satine

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

I don't mean to judge, but really, there is no need to be a martyr at holiday time. You do not have to cook EVERYTHING! Ask or tell people what you need them to bring. You have a relative that can't cook? They can pick up wine,dessert,paper supplies. When you get stressed,everyone feels it. Hope Christmas is a better experience.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

I don't mean to judge, but really, there is no need to be a martyr at holiday time. You do not have to cook EVERYTHING! Ask or tell people what you need them to bring. You have a relative that can't cook? They can pick up wine,dessert,paper supplies. When you get stressed,everyone feels it. Hope Christmas is a better experience.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Satine, the holidays can bring out the worst in people. Pent up anger, taking things the wrong way etc.

I loved having my both my daughters, but since we have a small family (And what we do have lives miles away) I only have one sister to invite.

I really am not close to this sister and I resent not having my other sister or brother here instead. I invite her because she is my family. She barely spoke to me the entire time she visited, never feels she should help me and I don't even think she complemented anything on the table.

Family dynamics are so difficult. I will never have a discussion with my sister as she is not receptive. My other sister has tried and she is set in her ways. "This is how I am." Doesn't matter that she is hurting someone's feelings.

Caroline, I hope you figure out what works for you.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

'When did "Thanks" require a five course meal, made by one woman in a family kitchen, without staff?'

'you have to whine and wheedle DH to watch then for ten minutes?'
    'You're making all this food for everyone, while trying to recovery from surgery, and no one even offered to help?'

You have my sympathy.

I my own self would make some new rules, whether I ever cooked another noodle in my life:

1. Husband better get his a$$ in there & not just 'help' but do a substantial amount of the work.

2. Dogs better go outside or somebody (see #1 above) better fix the interior doors so that I can latch every one of them.

3. We're adopting a European style of dining: Dinner takes a couple of hours, & guests better behave & express appreciation for my efforts. Anybody bolting their food doesn't get to come back.

4. Kitchen gets a make-over. Even if you don't want to spend a fortune, you can still add or subtract elements to give yourself more room to work. (My grandmother put her fridge in the bedroom that adjoined the kitchen!)

Take care of yourself.

• eccentric
    10 years ago

I think there is something in the air right now that has all dogs grabbing food. Last night my dog grabbed half of a baguette - and off he went. And since we live in Canada it wasn't even Thanksgiving. Normally, he can sit beside me on the bed while I have food and he won't touch it until I give him some (same can't be said when he is sitting by my husband though) - but last night I guess he really needed that bread. Hope you are feeling better.