October: Read Any Good Books?
3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (97)
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Discussions
Read any good books lately?
Comments (25)I just finished "Dog On It", one of Mary's recommendations. The premise sounded sort of cheesy, but it was so well written from the point of view of the dog. Chet -- the dog -- will be thinking deep thoughts about the case and suddenly be sidetracked by a cheerio on the floor or the scent of a cat. Very clever. If you like books about cheese making, try "Blessed are the Chessemakers" by Sarah-Kate Lynch. It's fiction with a touch of magic which I'm finding I like in a story. Our book group recently read "Water for Elephants". It was one I would never have picked up on my own and I loved it. The group also picked "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" which I did not read. Little boys being killed in concentration camps is not my cup of tea. I'm also reading "Night Night Little Pookie" three or four times a day to the year old grandson. He likes it as much as I do!...See MoreKnow of any good Reading/Book Forums?
Comments (15)Hmmm...I'm torn about what would constitute a good book forum. Just MHO, but I think there can be an intimidating factor that is off-putting on some book forums. As I mentioned in my post above, even my best friends and I don't always agree on what constitutes a good book. But because of our history of friendship, we don't feel hurt or harshly judged when someone says, "that book didn't do it for me." It's especially hard to convey a difference of opinion when it's delivered in a post. Sometimes I re-read things I've posted which I've meant to sound funny or wry, and am worried that my tone might have been misinterpreted. So how about this - For now, how about a thread where we can list books that we've enjoyed recently, and some of our all-time favorites? Without giving away too much, we can give some general info and maybe alert people if they contain coarse language/graphic violence/sex, etc. I mention this because my MIL often passes on "CSI"-type mystery novels that she enjoys to me. I'm not especially prudish, but I do a lot of my reading at night instead of watching TV and I've found that reading books with disturbing themes like child abuse/decapitations/rapes, etc. are too disrupting to my sleep to read at bedtime. What prompted my OP is that I just finished a heartwarming read and was looking for something good to start on. Seeing a list of what you've all been reading is a good place to start looking. I'd already been thinking about "Snowball" that gina w mentioned above. I may download a chapter on the Kindle to check it out. Do any of you have other suggestions on how to approach starting a thread?...See MoreRead any good books lately?
Comments (28)I read "Botany of Desire" last summer and found some parts fascinating (apples), and others drawn out & a bit boring (hemp). I learned a lot from it, and though I wouldn't recommend it to a general reading audience, if you are interested in learning about food and like physical science it will probably appeal. I read "Shanghai Girls" this summer and I really enjoyed it. I knew little about Chinese history and culture in the timeframe featured in the book, 1937-'53ish. I learned a lot and found the characters' stories compelling. I began Julia Child's "My Life In France" right before I was hit with an avalanche of stayover guests. Still hoping to finish it before I see "Julie & Julia." The movie might leave the theatres before I do, as more folks are coming for Labor Day weekend. DH & I both read "The Tender Bar" in July, and we both loved it. That was one from last summer's list.. Despite all the rain we had, this didn't turn out to be much of a "reading summer" for us....See MoreRead any good books lately?
Comments (32)Great thread - I've added a few of the books suggested above to my own "to read" list. I just finished reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and couldn't put it down. It was a bit more science than I'm used to in my reading material, but not too difficult to understand. The story is about how the cancer cells taken from the cervix of Henrietta Lacks revolutionized medical research, and how her family, poor African-Americans, came to terms with the cells being taken from their mother upon her death (HeLa cells) - without their knowledge - and were turned into a multi-billion dollar business, even though her own children couldn't afford adequate health care. Here is a link that might be useful: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks...See More- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOMEIt’s National Book Month — Give Your Reading Spot Some Love
Let these cozy nooks and light-washed corners inspire you to make your reading space special
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDinner and a Good Book: 12 Double-Duty Dining Rooms
Create your own library-inspired reading room by pairing a dining table with bookshelves
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNGood Read: ‘Landscaping Ideas That Work’
Get a landscape architect’s strategies — along with gorgeous, inspiring photos — for a yard you’ll really enjoy
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME9 Dream Summer Reading Spots and the Books That Go With Them
Get inspired by these inspiring outdoor spaces to create your own reading spot — and a new reading list
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
DENS AND LIBRARIES20 Book Lover’s Spaces That Will Make You Want to Read
Borrow these ideas from spaces designed around a love of books
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEDesign Pop: Decor Tips for Book Lovers
As PBS launches ‘The Great American Read,’ designers and actor Ming-Na Wen weigh in on building around books
Full Story

Kath