May----What are you reading?
2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (70)
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Discussions
Ever go back and read books that you read
Comments (36)Oh, yes, I re-read all the time. The ones I re-read the most are Jane Austen's novels, the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon, "Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy (one of my favorite books ever), and "Far From the Madding Crowd" by Thomas Hardy. I've re-read "To Kill a Mockingbird," too, but only 3-4 times.:)...See MoreThe Month of May: What are You Reading?
Comments (118)Blimey, it's too long since I've been on here....note to self - must visit more often! Sheri - I read Your Inner Fish about six months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. This month, I've read a couple of books which might interest you. First, I decided that I'd see what the creationists have to say about everything (or, at least, one of them), and read Evolution - The Fossils Still Say No! by Duane Gish. He follows the story of life as written by evolutionists and just finds holes in the arguments; his main argument being that there are no real transitional fossils. It's a very frustrating book - it just picks holes in evolution and evolutionary theory over and over again without putting anything except "Goddiddit" as an alternative. To someone with a scientific bent, it's very tedious. I was able to spot a few of his flaws, but I'm not an expert on paeleontology, so the book does give the impression that evolution is dubious, to say the least. Then I turned to Evolution - What the Fossils Say and Why it Matters by Donald R Prothero. Prothero is a professor of geology, & a fellow of the Paeleontology society. Basically, he knows what he's talking about - and boy, does it show! In the first part of the book (entitled Evolution and the Fossil Record), he discusses the scientific method and why creationists cannot be considered to be scientists (basically, it comes down to the fact that if the evidence leads you somewhere, that's where you have to go - even if the bible tells you something else). He also discussed the history of evolutionary and geological theory, and systematics - the way living things are related to each other and how they are sorted out. In the second part of the book (entitled Evolution - the Fossils say Yes!), he more-or-less follows Gish in discussing the evolution of life on earth from the beginning. The difference is that he demonstrates, with dozens of examples, that the fossil record is far more complete with literally hundreds of transitional fossils between "kinds". He also takes the time to bad-mouth creationist quote-mining and their misapprehensions about evolution - he goes as far as accusing them of downright dishonesty in a lot of their books. It's a magnificent book, and I frankly don't understand how anyone could read it and still believe in young-earth creationism and flood geology. I'd thoroughly recommend Prothero - it's one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read on any subject. If you wanted to read just one book about evolution, to understand exactly what it's all about, and why the creationish arguments are so flawed, I can't think of a better one. It's worth reading Gish in parallel to see how dishonest a so-called scientist (he has a PhD in Biochemistry) can be - more-or-less HAS to be - when they are starting from a premise which they are not allowed to challenge. (The only down-side to Prothero is the fact that it's a BIG book - it's not one you can slip in your......See MoreIt's May! What are you reading?
Comments (47)Ladyrose, I was very surprised that I liked Wild so much. I was expecting another Eat, Pray, Love and instead got something gritty, well-written, and -- since I do not camp or hike to a point that requires backpacks -- fascinating in its details. Given her history as well as the story of the hike itself,it was also a real page-turner. I was very pleasantly surprised. I've flown through two books by Meljean Brook, The Iron Duke and Heart of Steel, both steampunk romance/adventures and very enjoyable. She's a new-to-me-author so I'm hunting down everything in her "Iron Seas" series, and so far I've really liked everything I've read. Lemonhead, I'm almost half-way through Patricia Brent, Spinster and while I'm liking it well enough, I am having a hard time figuring out why the main character is being so difficult, but I suppose it would be an overly-simple a plot otherwise. Thank you for recommending it....See MoreMAY - what are you reading?
Comments (88)In my ignorance I had always assumed that cruising was for really rich people with too much money and way to much time on their hands. Recently I found out that several 'local' folk regularly take holidays this way and when they return they compare notes . . . not as to which cities/places of culture they have visited but about how many people have died on the voyage. "Two went from my deck in the second week." "Only two? Three died on my cruise and several really old people had to be air-lifted to hospital." Back in the day (late '50's early '60's) my parents went on a number of cargo-boat journeys around the Med. when cabins became available. The ships seldom took more than 6 -10 passengers and the itinerary was very fluid depending on cargoes, tides, berth spaces in ports. There was no competing to sit at the captain's table and the crew were very knowledgeable about places to visit and they were able to take shore trips to places well away from the tourist trail. Many of these areas have since been devastated by the wars in the Middle East....See More- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

Guest Picks: Set Up a Comfy Reading Corner
With a snug chair, good lighting and other cozy niceties, you may never want the story to end
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGDon't Touch Another Stain Before You Read This
Even an innocent swipe with water may cause permanent damage. Here's what to know about how rugs and fabrics react
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESPacific Northwest Gardener: What to Do in May
Take advantage of May's warmth to prune spring blooms and plant vegetables and annuals for a summer bounty
Full Story
EVENTSDesign Calendar: Where to Go and What to See in May
Walk among giant sculptures, rediscover icons of design and explore cutting-edge furniture
Full Story
EVENTSDesign Calendar: April 12–May 3, 2012
Orchids are abloom in the Bronx, while California has ranch homes on its mind. Our nationwide events roundup has something for you
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSExhibit Honors Cliff May's California Ranch Style
Cliff May's midcentury home designs profoundly impacted architecture. A 2012 California exhibit showcases his work
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ12 Signs Your Coastal-Style Home May Have Gone Overboard
Accessories conjuring the beach often start innocently enough, but if you've framed your flip-flops, it may be time to reconsider
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHemp, Hemp, Hooray! This Superplant May Be Legal Again in the USA
Hemp products are durable, sustainable, antibacterial and much more. Will the plant finally get the status it’s due in the States?
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESThe Most Helpful Furniture Piece You May Ever Own
Use it as a table, a seat, a display space, a footrest ... and indoors or out. Meet the ever-versatile Chinese garden stool
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGTo-Dos: Your May Home Checklist
Dig out that touch-up paint and rotate that mattress in preparation for the lazy days of summer
Full StorySponsored
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
annpanagain