SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillis95

Help w cabinet doors. Love glass look but can’t have see through

gillis95
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

Kitchen has been updated recently w off white/warm white cabinets. This corner area was an old built in hutch w yellow (1974) glass.

I love antiques and furniture pieces/hutches and the mix of white and wood kitchens (I’m not opposed to painting but this).

I can’t decide on the door style. Bottom doors will be custom to match the new. My heart is to have window panes and glass on the uppers and have it feel like a furniture piece. I want it to look different than the new more modern cabinets.

But - I store things that aren’t pretty in this space. It’s my only option. There’s only 2 uppers in the main kitchen since a wall was taken down so my pretty stuff stays there and I’m not walking behind my table every time I need a plate or to empty the dishwasher.

I’ve put pretty papers behind glass in 2 others homes and loved it but they were white cabinets. I’m wondering how that’s going to look w a medium brown wood.

Would frosted glass look ok w a stained wood? I feel like I don’t see pics of that anywhere. Should I just do solid wood? Paint instead of stain (I just paid for nicer stain grade wood but oh well I couldn’t decide when he was ready to build)

Or I can skip the window panes and just do solid glass (but papered in the back). I'm just not sure how the wood stained cabinet will look w the glass situation I'm considering.

I'm so confused!

This is just the wood tone hutch look I like.....

Our old House w a decorative paper inside the cabinets - but again this was white so the effect will look different.

Comments (26)