SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madpupster

Help I have W/DAD! Can't decide.

madpupster
16 years ago

Sorry in advance for the long post. This is a great forum and Ive learned a lot here already. IÂm in a quandary as to what W/D to buy for my recently purchased condo... IÂve never had a W/D in here before or ever purchased one. IÂve researched it to death and now just have to make up my mind or I will go nuts! My friend says I have W/DAD :/.

About my condo. It is in a 1918 4-plex converted to condos in 1985. The laundry area is located at the rear entrance storage/mudroom and is aprox 6ft wide by 9 ft long. The floor is the original fir with 1/2 inch (I think) marine plywood that was laid when I had linoleum put down. The floor feels much more solid and level since I did this but I still have vibration concerns. The back of the area has floor to ceiling shelves. The laundry hookups are on the right of the door. There is only about 21 inches from where the pipes go through the floor near the wall and the door (yup, I have everyoneÂs water and drains going thru my LR ;/). So anything I purchase will stick out past the door to some extent. And to make matters worse, the doorknob is on the side where the W/D would sit. The vent is directly to the right of where the dryer is meant to sit. The depth of the dryer is my biggest concern since it will be closest to the door.

TL washers IÂve considered include GE Profile and Whirlpool 5800 (however IÂve seen complaints that these not heating water) and one of the FP machines. However the matching dryers to each are much deeper. It looks like all sideventing Whirlpools are deeper than 26 inches (more like 28). Same with most brands. The only smaller sideventing dryers (without going compact) IÂve found have been Frigidaire and somewhat lower end GE.

IÂve been using a FL at the laundrymat and it seems gentler on clothes so IÂve also thought about a frigidaire FL, either paired with an rear control dryer (not as deep)... or if using the matching dryer since the controls are not on the top I could move it back into the room some so it would be away from the door somewhat. It would still be a tight squeeze. It would have to be under the water hookups... is that a really bad idea? The other option would be to stack the frigidiareÂs back in the room to the left of the water hookups but this would require that I cut some shelving thatÂs too low (67 in) and it would limit my access to the shelves. IÂd do that if I was sure the washer would work out ok.

I could fit a full size pair stacked but they look way too big. IÂm single and only do about 2 loads/week. I donÂt need bells and whistles. If it would have fit I probably would have bought a workhorse SQ TL pair. IÂd consider a compact set but the mini miele and boschÂs canÂt be right vented. Asko is a possibility I suppose but I think that although I donÂt need a gargantuan dryer, I think a tiny one would bother me. The american branded minis donÂt seem to look as well built to me. The euro ones seem to get bad reviews on how they dry.

Are any of the Frigidaire line better for vibrations or better in general? Or is it pretty much the same machine with more features... ie gallery vs Affinity... the different Affinities? WhatÂs the take on the 6.0 cuFt GE machines? Any that anyone might recommend? IÂd really appreciate any other ideas or comments on any of the models IÂve listed or anything that might work that IÂve missed.

Thanks in advance, I'm soooooo confused!

Comments (9)