SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Help! I just can't decide, Long w/lots of pics

User
12 years ago

Hi there! I'm having the hardest time making some choices for our little dining area and kitchen (little being the operative word LOL) I'm hoping you all can help with some decisions, ideas and feedback. I feel like I just can't seem to get a vision for the space that looks put together and cohesive.

The background: A couple of years ago after doing some work in the kitchen, we put a halt on our projects to get some other more pressing things done. Next month we're finally going back in to finish what we started by moving some of the cabinets around, enlarging the window over the sink, installing our backsplash and adding furniture. We also need to get some ceiling work done and plan on centering the uncentered lighting in the dining room and possibly replacing the fan with a new chandi but I have no clue as to what would work in the space.

This area is open concept and next to it is the living area, we have a sectional in dark microfiber that will be there. Still waiting for that to be delivered but a photo is included. The walls are creme and a yellow/gold.

We unfortunately have oak cabinets which are throwing me off. It would be a dream come true if I could paint them, but it's absolutely not an option. As with most men, DH loves the wood and so for the time being I'm stuck with what we have. At least they're in good condition and have a more neutral color to them, but I'm seriously hoping that in a couple of years, we'll be able to add some trim and paint those puppies a creamy off white. I'll keep working on that!!

In the meantime, here's what I've got so far.

The kitchen: That corner cabinet sticking out next to the large window in photo's #1 & 3 is coming out. There's a larger cabinet next to it that will be slid over to almost where the corner cabinet is & then that small cabinet from the other side of the sink in photo #2 will be moved over to sit next to it. As you can also see in photo 2, the window is not centered behind the sink. It will be enlarged so it's centered and sits around 5 inches over the counter. We're also going to add some recessed lighting because that one light is all there is. The space is pretty dark right now and I'm sure looking forward to having more light in there.

To balance the dining area a bit, I've been looking for a small 2nd hand hutch that I can paint and place that on empty wall in photo #3. Color options are open for that.

Photo #4 is a sample of the stone we're using for the backsplash. (I don't remember who's kitchen this is, but we sure loved it!) We have a mix of 4x4's that will be on the diagonal along with some 1x1 mosaics we'll work in.

Photo #5 is a fabric I found and really like. If I can make it work for window treatments that would be great, but what kind? Valances, roman shades, cafe curtains? I have 7 yards of it. If the fabric is all wrong (which I am on the fence with) I only paid 14.00 for it, so it's ok, but I would love to see pics of what you think might work better.

Photo #6 is the color I'm thinking of using for the walls. It's my favorite, Grass Cloth which I also have in our pantry, mudroom and a wall off the dining area but I'm open for other suggestions too.

Now for the table...my biggest sore spot. I've had this table for about 20 years. It's been put through the ringer and last year we stuck it in the basement to make way for a new one. Well after trying 3 other tables and returning them, I decided to bring my old faithful back up and refinish it instead. I've finished the top and need to paint the bottom. I also need to find chairs for it. So what do you think? After seeing the space and the changes we plan on making, which do you feel would work best, black or an off white? And which chairs? These are the ones I've found, like and can afford so far. The white ones are discribed as off white on the sites. I'm also open to other ideas as well, I'm just not sure with the oak & more rustic looking stone, what would look best. So what do you think? Does our dining & kitchen space really have a chance of ever looking pulled together? Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions you may be able to offer--Sorry it's so long! Lukki

Photo 1:

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4 - Backsplash material:

Photo 5 Window material (option only)

Photo 6 - Wall color:

Original table in the space:

Original table in space w/black mock up:

New finish on table top w/white bottom:

New finish on table with black mock up

Chairs:

Sectional to be in living room:

Comments (28)

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the crispness of the white table especially with the newly refinished top. It will really look good with your beautiful floors. If you go that route, you might want to use a creamy white to go with the chairs. It will still look good with your white trim.

Tuesday

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I love all your choices, but am with you on the creamy white for the cabinets. I might push a little for that, especially if DH does not do a lot of the cooking. It would be wonderful with your countertops and that paint color you've chosen. I love green in kitchens-I have Saybrook Sage with creamy white cabinets that I painted myself and if I wouldn't have to redo the floors, I would also remove/rework my peninsula cabinet and get soapstone countertops. Your fabric choice is lovely, too.

I am going back and forth on the table and chairs. I love your refinishing job! If you were to paint the cabinets, I would probably chose black for contrast and to tie in with the countertops, but as is, I would probably choose the white to tie in with the trim and closet doors visible from your dining space. I like both chair choices. I am leaning toward the second set, though. Guess I am not much help, am I?

Wonderful kitchen and not so small-at least compared to my galley kitchen! Oh and why oh why do builders/designers not center windows? I hate that-at least this way you get a bigger sink-that is something I love! Can't wait to see your finished pictures.

• Related Discussions

Tomatoes! Finally! And harvest pics, I just can't help myself..

Q

Comments (7)
    walaa, those are Trionfo Violetto beans. Supposedly they turn green when they are blanched just right... I've been eating them all raw, so I don't know that for myself just yet! The small peppers are Sweet Pickle, and are actually sweet, not hot. They are a gorgeous ornamental--the plant isn't too big, it bears peppers upright, and it's covered with yellow, purple, orange, and red all at the same time. The pattypan is from a Burpee hybrid mix. cyrus, I've tried eggplants two years in a row, and no success yet! Maybe next year... I'm hoping my charentais melons will yield, I am excited to try those.
    ...See More

Need New cabinets & I can't decide which ones to go w/

Q

Comments (4)
    Sometimes it's not all about the cabinets. It's about the company in your area that sells them. So have you gotten quotes from showrooms/designers in your area? They will usually do a quick consult and design for free, and this will give you insight into whether you like not only the cabinets, but, may give you very clear winners or losers in terms of businesses you'd want to work with. You really can't guess about prices. They are truly incomprehensible.
    ...See More

window treatment help - long w/ lots of pictures

Q

Comments (2)
    You did a beautiful job on your remodeling! The kitchen is lovely. I really like the dragonfly fabric. I think you could use it again over the window seat. From a distance it reads as a solid. What I picture over your window seat is a scalloped valance hung from knobs. I don't know if I'm describing that right - I'll try to find a picture. I think if you vary the style a little but use the same fabric, it will look great. In terms of where to mount the valance, if you plan to use the window seat for seating at the table, I think the valance would feel awkward mounted outside. However, an outside mounted valance would make the seat more cozy for curling up with a book and a cup of tea (or glass of wine). As far as the other windows, I don't think you have to use the same treatment on all the windows b/c I think there is enough separation between the rooms. I have found wood blinds to be heavy and bulky to completely raise up. Have you thought about roman shades? You could use different (but coordinating) fabrics in each room or opt for a neutral or woven wood for all the windows.
    ...See More

I can't decide if i like the comforter. I need help!

Q

Comments (20)
    A great source for faux fur throws is Fabulous Furs. I started buying from Donna Salyers when she only sold fake fur by the yard and coat patterns. She's expanded her company inventory to ready made coats, jackets, accessories and throws. Many of the coats the glamorous soap opera vixens in their heyday wore were Donna's faux furs. While the throws are not cheap, the site is running a sale. Plus they are machine washable. (I see you have a fur buddy) Fabulous furs
    ...See More
  • arcy_gw
    12 years ago

I can't imagine painting those wonderful cabinets. Why would you want cold paint when you have all that beautiful movement and warmth? Because they are so beautiful I think the back splash you show would be busy. Your cabinets are your feature you need to compliment them not fight them. I am not a fan of black so would vote for the table going white. I am not sure the black flows with the paint, floors and cabinets.

• krayers
    12 years ago

I had oak cabinets very similar to yours and did paint them a creamy white. I love them. It made my kitchen much brighter & more cheerful - especially with my wood floors. My table is a gathering table with a cherry finish top much the same color as yours and a black finish on the skirt & legs. We've very much enjoyed the color combination in our house. Oh - and our walls are a grey-green color. We must think a lot alike!! Will be anxious to see what you choose.

• User
    12 years ago

I like the backsplash and the fabric. I think the fabric will look great with that green paint. What about doing cornices?

The table looks really nice refished and I think it will look best being off white in the space. I think the black would work better if you decided to use a light area rug. It's hard to picture everything in place. The backsplash will probably make a darker impact once installed. Those floors are so pretty though I don't know that I would want to cover them.

I honestly like both styles of chairs.

I think the new paint and fabric will really change the look for you.

• User
    12 years ago

Beautiful job on the table! It would look good either white or black. But, I think white would be hard to match chairs. Black would be easier I think. So, I vote for black table base and black chairs. I prefer the 1st chairs.

Love the fabric. I vote for roman shade (or faux roman shade if you don't need to close it) over the kitchen sink. Will you also be adding something to window in dining area?

The green paint will make your cabinets look better. I also have oak cabinets and painted my kitchen BM Baby Turtle (was yellow before) and it made the cabinets look so much better. Having said that, I would paint them in a second! Or rather, would have someone paint them. Too big a job for me. So, paint the walls green and keep working on DH:-)

Yes, your room is going to come together wonderfully! These changes and some updated lighting and it will be perfect. Love your floors.

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

I don't think your cabinets are bad at all and I think the new wall color will look better with them. I love your floors and the fabric you are thinking of using.

• cangelmd
    12 years ago

I think that the white table would look great with that fabric, and help lighten the space. you could get the chairs first and match the table legs to the chairs.

• dawn25
    12 years ago

I love the backsplash, paint color, and fabric together. Great choices! I agree with jillinj that the green paint will make your cabinets look better, although I like them now (and I'm not an oak fan). The table (which is beautiful, btw) and chairs should be creamy white, not black. I don't see black working in your space. I like the second chair, only because it's not so visually busy and won't compete with the fabric and the backsplash. I think once you move everything around and paint, it will amazing. Please post pics!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tuesday - Thank you, we laid the floors by ourselves and it was quite the challenge. Probably more modern than the rest of the kitchen will be, but I do love their coloring and how well they've been wearing.

Cyn, you are always helpful, thanks for the feedback. I've got your vote down on the chairs. I agree with the cabinets, the oak is a pretty color but I've always wanted some purdy whites. I'll post pics when it's done.

Arcy, I love that your the voice of descent and appreciate your comments. You echo my husband completely, he loves those puppies. We bought the tile for the backsplash 2 years ago when we installed the granite, so I can't change it, hopefully it will play well with the cabinets. The thing that drew me to that stone was it's not travertine which is not one of my favorites and it has a very natural feel to it.

Krayer, you nailed the whole reason why I want to paint the cabinets, to brighten up the space. I'm jealous!

Shee, thanks for your feedback. I never even thought of a cornice. Will add that to the list of considerations. I wasn't planning on a rug because I'm afraid the room is too small.

Jillinnj, thanks I've been working on that table now for weeks. I want to match the window treatments on both the dining and kitchen windows to help tie the rooms together.

Happyladi & cangeland - thanks, I love that fabric too, the colors in it match the rest of my choices perfectly. Can't believe it was only 2 bucks a yard!

Dawn, thank you for your kind words. Seems like white is the preferred vote. It will match the fabric too which seems to be working for everyone!

So I found a hutch today and bought it on the spot!!! I pretty much made the decision for me as to which color direction I should go in with the table and chairs. I wrote another thread to share but will post it here too, just cause I'm so excited!!! The store is going to repaint it in cottage creme and add just a touch of distressing to it.

• dawn25
    12 years ago

I love the hutch! I think you got a good deal on it, too, especially with the painting. That's one more thing you don't have to do :-). That fabric was a smoking deal at $2 a yard. I would have bought as much as they had at that price, but I have a bit of a fabric problem. LOL

I can't wait to see your new kitchen!

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I had an almost identical kitchen and eating nook to yours pre-remodel. Though on the smaller side, it was always a highly efficient layout--sometimes I still miss it.

Love all of your choices so far. I don't think your cabinets look bad at all, though I also would prefer a creamy white. Oak has been out of vogue for awhile now...meaning I wouldn't be at all surprised to see if come back in vogue in another 5 years or so.

My vote for the table/chairs though does depend on your cabinet decision. If cabinets stay as is, my vote is for the creamy white table/chair combo, but if you paint the cabinets, I'd vote for the black ones.

I like the cross chairs the best and love your paint and fabric choices.

One thing I wanted to suggest though is about your window. If at all you can, I highly recommend putting in a bay window and bringing it down flush with the counters. One issue would be how to tie into the existing granite, but perhaps it can be matched since it doesn't seem to have much movement. Alternatively, is there any possibility to add a skylight? That would really open it up and make it feel much brighter.

Regarding your cabinet modifications, another area to consider updating is the fridge and fridge cabinet. Look into the possibility of having the fridge enclosed in cabintry for a built-in look. You can do this by pulling out the over fridge cabinet to appear 24" deep, then add oak side panel to right side of refrigerator enclosure. To make it look really built-in, you'd need to switch over to a cabinet-depth refrigerator. It may be more modifications than you and your DH want to take on, but wanted to throw that out there for consideration while you are having the other cabinet changes made. If you need more details, there are also many experts over on the kitchen forum who'd be only too happy to help.

• dee42
    12 years ago

Hi - oak cabinets are wonderful in your space -- I'd suggest changing the hardware to match the hardware you put on the newly-acquired hutch -- that would help "pull" the 2 spaces together. Painting oak is going to be a LOT of work -- it will have to be sanded, well primed, and painted at leat 2 to 3 coats of paint -- might be better to just work around the oak and add the color with accessories on the countertop and with the table and chairs -- by the way, I like the 2nd set of chairs better -- seems to be more up-dated than the first ones. Dee

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Luck, when we remodeled our kitchen, DH was adament about not painting the new cabs white. On the side he does woodwork so he's one of those like your DH. I know what you're going through!

So I got out a lot of pictures of white cabinets, and I finally convinced him that white would not only make the kitchen look bigger, but it would be brighter and cheery looking.

It's been a couple of years now and to this day he is still saying how glad he is that we went with white!

Keep pestering him! :)

Oh, my DR table is similar to your's but it has a dark stain with dark green tiles on the top. Chairs match the wood. Although I love my table, for the summer I keep a french country tablecloth on it with a white background. It makes the whole area look larger than what it is.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dawn, I can't tell you how glad I am that I don't have to paint the hutch! I know they'll do a better job of it anyways. About the fabric, I bought it months ago after getting a new sewing machine from my Mom. That was my first fabric purchase and I could easily develop a problem too LOL At 2.00/yard I did buy all they had available. 7 yards for 14.00, I felt like I was stealing.

Valinsv, those are lovely suggestions, thank you. I actually discussed the window idea with our contractor but we really don't have the funds to build it out or to add more granite. It took me a while as it is to talk my dh into centering and lowering the window so I can at least reach it. In regards to the fridge, its new, I didn't consider a counter depth because they are too small for our needs. I know it's over sized for the space, but it's what we needed. I don't think this is our forever house so maybe it will fit better in our next place. Thanks for reminding me about the kitchen forum, I haven't been there in a while but got so much help before when we were doing some other updates. I should pop back in and see what's new there.

Dee, thanks, changing the hardware is a good idea. We put the handles on the cabinets a couple of years ago, but I wouldn't mind changing them again if I can find something that works. I'll look into that.

Oak, I know if I could get him to agree, he'd like it afterwards too. That's exactly what happened in our upstairs guest bath. I insisted on painting the ugly dark oak vanity black and he was upset with me about it. I'll never forget the look on his face when walked into the bathroom and saw how fabulous the black looked. He was amazed. At least cabinets are in a nicer looking oak so it could be worse. I can live with them for now, he's just not ready to give up his wood. I am confident though that eventually I'll get my white cabbies. Thanks!

• les917
    12 years ago

Your new hutch is great! I would do the table legs the same as the hutch, and consider the same color on the more rounded chairs, which feel like a better fit with the hutch.

I think having the cabinets in the wood finish will be a nice compliment to the cream color furniture in the space.

I would change out the hardware to something in wrought iron or dark ORB, which would work well with your countertops and the hardware on the hutch.

I love the stone you have chosen for the backsplash, but fear that it may make the whole kitchen area feel even more closed in and darker. But if you are sure that is what you want, then instead of can lights I would seriously give consideration to under cabinet lighting. It will show off the backsplash, reflect off the counters to bounce light, and also light the workspace and visually expand that level of the kitchen.

I would think about matching valances over the two windows, perhaps something with box pleats that have another companion fabric for inside the pleats hung on dark rods to compliment the hardware and countertops. The valances will draw your eye up in the space, expanding it.

The companion fabric that is inset on the pleats could be used to make cushions for the chairs.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Great suggestions...just cheering you on!! :)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Les! Thank you! I was going to match the paint on the chairs for the table and am hoping it will match the hutch too. I got the name of the color for the hutch just in case I need it. I do plan on using the fabric on both windows but can't seem to find the right match for a compliment to it. I love your valance idea. I had been toying with the idea of making roman shades and thought a simple stripe or check in the same colors would work. The valance would be so much easier to do and would still have a nice impact. Hadn't thought of cushions to tie it in, but love the idea! Those rounded chairs have gotten almost all the votes and I'm good with that!

I sure hope that after removing the cabinet & widening the window to add light, the stone won't darken it again. I've been worried that it may be too rustic, so my fingers are crossed it all works together. Under cabinet lighting is another idea I'm on the fence about, only because the cabinets sit high and it seems like it will show. The cabinets are set at a standard 18 inches, so is that normal?

Another vote to change the hardware...hmmm, looks like I have some more shopping to do...oh drats! LOL I can get the chandi in iron or ORB too, that will help as well. Thanks again, your suggestions have been very helpful!

Loribee, Thanks to everyone here, I'm really feeling the space now and getting that vision (and support) I needed. I can't wait for the window and backsplash installation next month! I'm ready for it now!!! Thank you for the support, it's appreciated!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I've been going back and forth on your post for awhile now just looking and thinking.

I have oak cabinets too and we changed out the hardware to ORB. I love it. I hear your pain on painting the cabinets! DH is the same way but has always been fine w/ me painting our cabinets. We've just never gotten around to it though.

Leaving the cabinets as is until you cajole your DH into painting I think that white is a good decision for table and chairs.

But Let me toss this idea out to you:

Should you eventually paint your cabinets would you consider painting your table base in a pale shade of grey/ blue?

I suggest this just because I think that those curtains need something a little 'weighty' in the kitchen w/ the addition of the brown sectional being in the other room.

Or maybe not. I forgot that you were painting the wals green and I don't feel like erasing everything that I just typed!

• msrose
    12 years ago

Well, I'm late to this post, but just wanted to say that I love the paint color and fabric. In fact, I would probably use floor length curtains just to have more fabric showing in the room. Love all your other choices too!

• les917
    12 years ago

Your cabinet height is fine for underlighting. I am assuming if you feel underneath, the base of the cabinet sits a bit higher than the front edge, and so that lip will hide the lighting strips. The thing is, you want to hardwire them in, not have cords showing, so the best time to do that is probably before you put in all the backsplash.

Oh, and another thing that has been talked about here, that I think is brilliant, is plug mould. It is a strip of plugs that you mount under the cabinet, so that you don't have to have outlets on the backsplash to mess up your tile or stone. Here is a pix:

plug mould

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TTodd, you're so funny. I'm terrible at describing colors, when I said aqua, that gray/blue is exactly what I was thinking of, the celery green would be that pretty tealish green. If my cabinets were white, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Thanks msrose. I hadn't thought about floor length curtains, may be a little too formal for that little space. I certainly have enough fabric for it thought!

Les, I remember those, thanks for the reminder. I'm actually having a plug added to one side of the stove and forgot all about the plug moulds!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Oh yes! Plug moldings are a definite YES! I saw those several years ago and tucked the idea away for future use. In all that clutter up there, I completely forgot about it. Thanks from all of us, Les.

• mimi_2006
    12 years ago

I really liked ttodd's idea of painting the table a blue color. I think it would be great to pull a color from the fabric for the table and chairs. Love the green walls. The fabric could pull the blue and green together along with accessories on the hutch. Just a thought. I couldn't hop onto the black or the white bandwagon but I think a color would be fun and cheery.

Your fabric is great and I'd do either a valance or cafes or maybe both. I prefer something loose and less stiff and structured in that type of casual space.

I had no preference in the chair until I saw the hutch (which is awesome!) and I love the first curvier chair with the hutch.

Can't wait to see your progress.

• msrose
    12 years ago

Just for the heck of it, here's my mother's kitchen with floor length curtains and a table and chair similar to yours.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well shoot, that looks pretty darn adorable and not too fussy at all!! I love the black gingham and those are also the first set of tab tops I've seen and liked too. She's coordinated everything so well with the black. Did she make the matching set? Maybe I can play with my pics and photo shop the curtains in to see how it would look. Very helpful, thanks so much!!!

Mimi, I think I'll play with the colors a bit and see how the blue looks. I was thinking if I used color it would be on the new cabinet but after seeing the curtains in Msrose's mom's kitchen, I'm not ruling anything out! LOL

• msrose
    12 years ago

lukkiirish - She bought the curtains from JCP and she also bought a valance for over her sink window. It was too long, so she used the extra fabric to make the valance on the door.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very clever, she did a great job! I love it when people are creative like that.