SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lipappy

Frameless Glass Shower Door Swing Dilemma - Please Look and Help

lipappy
13 years ago

So I'm trying to design my corner frameless glass enclosure for my new bathroom, and I'm stuck with the shower head having to be on a certain wall (see images below). I was hoping you all could help me figure out a design that will work. My first thought was "Option A" - but then I realized the door would be facing the showerhead. Unless there is a code against this (please advise) I thought it would be ok because I have a tub spout ("toe-tester") to get the water the right temp. My only concern, then with Option A is will water escape through the door more readily than Option B?

Option B allows for a side entrance but I wasn't sure if frameless glass enclosures can open directly at a corner, and I've got the urinal that the door would hit if opened too far. Please take a look and help me figure out the best design for entering my shower.

Option A

Option B

Comments (38)

• Olychick
    13 years ago

My shower/bath set-up is similar and because of the issue with the shower controls at the back of the shower, I ended up eliminating the glass on the toilet side and bringing the plumbing into that wall. I, too, have a toe tester with a wall mounted rainhead. Both would have been fine with the controls at the back, but I also have a handheld on a bar and it sometimes is pointed directly at the opposite wall, so am glad it's not opposite the door.

I wouldn't want the shower door to bump into the urinal (nor would I want to look at a urinal from the shower or when entering and exiting). I put in a sliding entrance door so I didn't have to worry about the doors (like in your first drawing) colliding.

Don't know what stage your construction is, but I'd consider a wall on the urinal side for plumbing. I have a light in shower and don't miss the glass wall. In your bath, I might do a 3/4 wall with a glass panel above, if you can work the plumbing around it.

• lipappy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought about that, but when you bring the plumbing into the new wall, do you still have some kind of panel or closet access to the plumbing on the other side? I need a 6" thick wall for backing my shower valve rough-in and the wall it is on now in the images would allow for that, and I have an access closet planned on the other side of the wall. I don't know if I could fit a 6 in. wide wall there and still have enough spacing for the urinal and toilet.

• Related Discussions

Island girl needs help with frameless shower door pleae

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi we just put our shower panel, return panel and door in recently and am very happy with the clamps. So Happy! I think I would be very unhappy with the uchannel and header. In fact, the 1st estimator would only install the unchannel and header. I was very bummed to get that esitmate...but after pereservering, The 2nd and 3rd esitmates said they could use the clamps, but would have to put the panel all the way to the ceiling ( we were missing a stud for the door side so they need to use the ceiling for extra support) It might be a trickier install, but it looks so much better. We also did not cualk at the base so a little bit of water comes out at shower time, but I would rather clean up water than have a gloppy moldy mess from the silicone caulk. I hope I can post pictures soon. Good Luck!
    ...See More

Please help with frameless shower door details

Q

Comments (19)
    I wish I'd known - the contractor said that the shower door people couldn't come out and measure until after the tiling was done, so I have put off these decisions (so busy with so many others). Now I have no idea where the studs are. The location of the glass will be right next to the door into the room, and I'm sure there's framing around it, but I don't know how wide it is. The shower glass will be less than 4" from the door opening. I wish I'd looked at this when everything was open. I'm sure the contractor knows, but he's on vacation at the moment. Are the bottom supports the same as the side supports, suero?
    ...See More

Kohler cast iron shower pan and frameless sliding shower door-doable?

Q

Comments (10)
    Enduring- thanks for responding. I had seen your shower- it turned out just beautiful. I wasn't sure if in your research you'd explored a sliding glass door or not. To answer your questions. One end of the shower is on an exterior brick wall. The other is flanked by a custom linen closet surrounded by tile with the edges grouted. It's not coming out. If I had no other choice but to do doors, I'm pretty sure I'd have to remove tile on one or both ends and add the blocking- not something I'd like to do if I can avoid it. Likely I'd just have one door and a fixed panel on the other- I'm pretty sure the toilet clearance wouldn't let me do two doors like you have. Though I see your point about having a fixed panel- I can't drill into the shower pan so that wouldn't work either. Hopefully some of the glass guys can give me their opinion about using epoxy to secure clips on the bottom. Thanks again for your help- much appreciated. Lisa
    ...See More

Clear glass and coating on tub/shower frame-less doors?

Q

Comments (6)
    I would do regular clear instead of the low iron glass (less greenish). The price isn't worth it and the only time you can tell the difference is when your looking at the edge of the glass. As far as the coating, it's amazing against hard water. You won't have to squeegee every day. Hope that helps, I work at a glass company.
    ...See More
  • nycbluedevil
    13 years ago

I would definitely put a knee wall in the side closest to the urinal. You can build niches in there if you do that. I would also get rid of the urinal but if you don't, then the knee wall would at least cover it. Also, tile is easier to keep clean than glass. Finally, if you must have the urinal, then you might be able to have the hinge adjusted so it opens only most of the way, not all the way. Or, you could hide a piece of rubber or other cushioning on the left side of the urinal in a place where you wont see it. I would note that we just put in comfort height toilets, and the height helps eliminate DH splashing LOL

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

keep the urinal! Much more hygienic than a splashing toilet. uses less water too. people will get used to the look. ones from duravit are quite architectural and a lot more pleasant looking than a toilet!

Keep the glass, dont do a wall. It will close in the bathroom. You could do folding glass door on the left. adds a little more hardware.

otherwise i prefer option A.

• nycbluedevil
    13 years ago

I would definitely put a knee wall in the side closest to the urinal. You can build niches in there if you do that. I would also get rid of the urinal but if you don't, then the knee wall would at least cover it. Also, tile is easier to keep clean than glass. Finally, if you must have the urinal, then you might be able to have the hinge adjusted so it opens only most of the way, not all the way. Or, you could hide a piece of rubber or other cushioning on the left side of the urinal in a place where you wont see it. I would note that we just put in comfort height toilets, and the height helps eliminate DH splashing LOL

• nycbluedevil
    13 years ago

sorry for the double post earlier.

Knee walls do not close in a room. By definition, they are low (about 36" to 40") so your eye, which looks straight on, sees the glass above it and your tile work beyond it.

I am my knee wall now and if someone was using a urinal next to it, he would have some measure of privacy if someone were using the shower at the same or even just looking in the door.

Not sure I understand the point about comparing the urinal to a toilet. It's not like the room can't have a toilet.

• lipappy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I knew there would be some urinal haters, lol. The one I chose has a much nicer style to it than the one in the drawing, just FYI. Also, I'm a single guy... privacy is not an issue for me. How would a knee wall solve my issue of water possibly escaping from the shower? I've thought more about olychick's idea, and made a third drawing...

This closes off the bathroom a lot more, but having only one wall of glass would probably reduce the cost more than 50% which is a big plus.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

The shower stall now looks like a cave.

Leave the glass on both sides, maybe you could have it frosted part way but for all male households or single guys, this is not an issue ;)

• pete_p_ny
    13 years ago

Do not get the urinal thing either. Looks like a mens room in a restaurant. Get rid of the urinal and make your shower several feet longer. Will look better and add much more to resale value. The bathroom looks weird...tiny shower to make room for a urinal.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

Since you want the urinal and your issue was plumbing on the back wall facing the door, or having the door swing into the urinal, it seems the 3rd wall provides a solution. I don't see anything cave like about your last drawing, unless you used dark tile and/or had no light inside. If you google tile shower in google images, many of them are your sized shower with 3 walls and glass door. None of them are caves.

• socalsister
    13 years ago

Is it possible for the shower 'head' plumbing to be placed lower (level with the controls but very close to the inside corner)? If so, you could use a slide bar on the other tiled wall with the valve placed on the wall that requires the plumbing (and a long hose to allow proper movement). Nothing would need to change and you could still have the door swing in Plan A and water would not be directed at the door (a code violation where I live).

• cienza
    13 years ago

Our frameless corner shower has the faucet placement same as yours. We had no room for a swing, so ours slide. The opening for ours is in the corner and works fine; no splashing. Half slides to one side and half to the other side. We love it. Glass on both sides opens the area up and gives alot of light to the area. We also have a 'bench' in the corner opposite the door opening for easier shaving and reaching to clean etc, etc ;). A knee wall only if you need it to enclose plumbing; otherwise, no. Now my husband wants a urinal too! We love the one pharaoh shows - more info please!!

• jddar
    13 years ago

Keep the urinal. I wish I could have one.

I think option A works best. Could you move the shower head and valves to the wall on the left? This would allow for various shower head configurations and easier water adjustments.

• lipappy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey all, thanks so much for the feedback. Here is the final layout I chose.

I moved the toilet and urinal to the opposite wall, which now leaves room for the shower door to open fully from the side with no problem. (I'll have a door stopper for the wall.) This allowed me to also make the shower one foot wider, which will also help with water escapage issues. I went with a 3rd fixed corner panel so that the door didn't have to be so big and less chance for water to escape out of a corner joint. Let me know what you all think. I'll keep you posted (no pun intended).

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

That layout solves the problems above, and I really like that the door swing on the left no longer interferes with the shower door. And I much prefer all glass to a wall in the shower.

My only concern is that it seems that the toilet and urinal are now the primary view from two doors. That's a bummer. It would definitely be nicer to see the vanity or shower through those open doors... (what rooms are they opening to?)

Is there a chance of putting the beautiful glass shower in the lower right corner where the toilet is now?

• catbuilder
    13 years ago

Move the shower controls closer to the door. You can still keep the shower head where it is. That way you don't have to get in the shower to turn it on.

• nycbluedevil
    13 years ago

Much improved layout and I agree with catbuilder about doing an offset for shower head and controls. Maybe you would consider putting in a pony wall with storage to shield the toilet/urinal from direct view from the door?

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Chris, if you look at his earlier plans, you can see some adjoining rooms. I'm going to GUESS that the top right door is to a hall/entryway, the left door is to a living area, and the lower left door is to the bedroom.

Lipappy, not that you asked, but I'd continue playing with fixture arrangements a bit more. I started sketching alternate layouts but it would be really helpful to know for sure which rooms those doors go to, and which rooms have the most important views (which ones are you looking into most often.) With a single toilet it would be easy to add a partition or knee wall to screen the toilet from ALL three open doors, but with the dual toilet/urinal that won't work. So it would be great to know which door's view is least important...

• chrisk327
    13 years ago

right now it looks like you have 3 doors to the room? or is 1 a window?

personally I don't like the new layout. shower is OK. you have about a 36 inch vanity in a huge bathroom.

I'm not sure I get the urinal thing, I'm a guy, but seriously, the toilet is just fine for me.

your toilet placement was where it should be in the first renditon. the sink or shower should be what you're looking at when you come in.

what are the 2 rooms that enter into this?

• socalsister
    13 years ago

The toilet and urinal could move to where the shower is now and be enclosed. A pocket door could be used to shut off the view from what I believe is the bedroom. If this feels too claustrophobic, glass could be used on the upper portion of the walls or the pocket door could be frosted glass. The shower could become three sided glass with the door opening into the center of the bathroom (no conflict) and offset to avoid the water. The vanity could move back to where it was initially.

• lipappy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Some people are assuming a view of my prized designer Toto urinal and my Kohler Memoirs toilet would not be a beautiful sight to behold upon exiting the shower. :) Since yesterday I had to redesign yet AGAIN. The shower was too small, and I couldn't enlarge it in the space it was in because it would mean having to widen a brick window to push back the door opening on the left side. Here is the FINAL layout.

The shower is now 4' X 4'. The left door near the urinal leads into my bedroom (that is the brick wall of my original house) and that doorway is being framed inside what was once a brick window there. The door at the top leads into a laundry /mudroom and will be the easiest point of entry from the more common areas of the house. The door next to my bedroom door leads into a walk-in closet. Because that left wall is brick, we did not want to demo it so we had to put the closet access through the bathroom. All entry doors are 24" Vanity is 31" X 22". I hope you all like this because I gotta move on it. I'm applying for the plumbing permit today.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I think you'll love that bigger shower! And thanks for telling us what doors go where. That makes a lot of sense. I'm assuming there isn't much of a sightline into the bathroom from the mudroom, hmm? So it doesn't matter much that you're looking right at the toilet through the open door? I like the sightline from the bedroom, with shower and vanity on either side and then straight through the window. That will feel open and airy.
    Would you consider swapping the toilet and shower, though? That'll put the shower more in view from both doors. It would also give you a handy spot for towel bars or hooks (below the window and behind the mudroom door) whereas you don't have a great spot for more than one hook adjacent to the shower in this plan. (Though then you have that same problem of where to put the wet wall. What climate are you in? Can plumbing run in an exterior wall?)

• kaylie15
    13 years ago

My question is -- what website did you use to make the drawing layouts?

• lipappy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Staceyneil, glad you like it. I can't run plumbing through the exterior walls, mostly because of the concrete and cinderblock foundation underneath them. I thought the toilet / shower swap, but I think that would but the shower way too close to the window, and the window is already installed so I can't change that now.

Kaylie, the program is called Google SketchUp. It's free - look it up. It's addictive. Look at a few tutorials on you tube before you begin and it will help a lot.

• saxmaan1
    13 years ago

I agree with some of the other posters...do not get the urinal thing in a home. Is there an aiming issue? Get rid of the urinal and you get rid of the layout issues.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

I think we should only allow men on this thread (to address the urinal issue) ;) ladies, no offense, but only men can understand this...

• lipappy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think it would get a lot less grief if it was called something other than a "urinal." My urinal is not going to look like the one at the corner Exxon, with cigarette butts floating in it and a soap cake. No matter how well your aim, peeing in a toilet involves splatter and drippage on the floor. Unless most guys are slobs or I'm OCD, proper etiquette for me involves wiping up the splatter/drippage on the toilet rim and floor after each use. Then you flush an entire toilet bowl's amount of water for a little bit of pee.

"Man toilets" (my new name for it) are practical, environmentally friendly, easy to keep clean, and they can look stylish if you look for a stylish one.

Somebody sent me this link, which I hope all of you man toilet haters will read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urinals: NY Times Article

• piaa
    13 years ago

I always say just sit - unless you are very, very..... well you know (don't make me type it) then it is not a problem (lol) :)

Pia

• qt314b
    12 years ago

with 3 young boys I really wanted a urinal in my house, space doesn't allow it and my husband thinks it's a terrible idea. When I dream about installing one I think of all the clean up it would save. Though my boys are being trained to clean up after themselves - I think my 89 yr old is pretty good at it but my 5 yr old and training 2 yr old are not nearly as efficient as necessary.

I am one woman who thinks it's a great idea!

Rachel

• lipappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I'd show the final result. Words can't describe how much I love my man toilet. Just to be clear, there is a regular (and very nice looking) regular toilet in here too. I don't think it looks tacky...

• Renée Soronen
    12 years ago

I've been lurking this thread since the beginning. :) I like the final layout you chose, I think it looks great and was a big improvement over the previous ideas. Any chance we can get some pictures of the rest of the room? I'd love to see the shower area.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

It's great that you are happy - that's the whole point. I love the finishes you selected. The tile is beautiful and the placement around the urinal will sure make it easy to clean. Your last floorplan shows a pocket door there but it looks like you decided against it? You're not going to get bonked by the door are you?

• lipappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The final layout worked out well. Here are pictures of the other sides of the bathroom. The regular toilet has its own dedicated space. The custom frameless shower glass will be installed 9/2. I'm putting a wall heater under the window. The door near the urinal is fine b/c I live alone, and don't have to worry about anyone knocking into me... I'm glad it clears the urinal when fully opened, and doesn't bang up against it.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Looks great!!!

• Renée Soronen
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures! Very nice. I like the shelves and curb sill. The taller tile border along the floor is different too. It's refreshing to see a more unique design... although what I ended up doing wasn't unique, lol, I still like to see what other people come up with. :)

• jessie21
    12 years ago

I know this is a little old, but wow, nice job!

• lipappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you!