SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marisany

Please help with frameless shower door details

marisany
15 years ago

My bathroom renovation is proceeding, the marble shower stall threshold was installed today, and the measurements for the shower door can be done. The guy is coming tomorrow, and I have to make some decisions.

I am planning on a frameless door with two inline glass panels, one fixed and one swinging. I've decided to leave a gap at the end away from the shower hardware, so that the molding around the window will be undisturbed (the window molding will extend a little into the shower stall. The stall is 30" x 5'; here is a floor plan:

I will have to play with the widths of the fixed and swinging glass panels, and the width of the gap, because entering the shower will be awkward, and there is a possibility of the shower door and the room door colliding. I'll probably mock it up tonight with sticks or something, but if anyone has any ideas about this, I'd love to hear them.

I've been told that I will need to have a metal header going all along the top of the shower panels from wall to wall. This will make the shower glass higher than I want or need it to be, because I don't want the header attached to the molding, so it will have to go above it. This shows the window molding from before; it's about 4.5" wide, and it will be reproduced. (My son took this photo in the mirror, so everything is reversed. It shows the edge of the window near the shower.)

Here are some photos of the shower area. The door molding will be narrower on the shower side to allow the glass to be mounted. The tile near the window will be cut back because not enough room was left for the molding (I was thinking of using narrower moldings on the window, and gave the tile guy those measurements, then the contractor talked me out of it).

A few tiles are missing because I was 3 short and have had to order more.

One decision that I have to make is which hinges to use. The choices are pivoting hinges at the top and bottom of the glass; this would require drilling into the marble sill. The other choice is two hinges that are more in the middle of the glass (between the fixed and swinging panels). I like the look of the pivoting hinges, and they are about $200 cheaper, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to drill into the marble sill. It might cause leaks, and if the shower door were ever changed the marble would be damaged.

I will be grateful for any suggestions.

Comments (19)