SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piaa

Island girl needs help with frameless shower door pleae

piaa
12 years ago

Hello everyone

As some of you might remember I live on a small island (St John) in the US Virgin Islands.

We finished our bathroom remodel last year with the exception of the glass frameless shower door and here in lies my dilemma.

There are no stores on St Thomas or St John where I can order a shower door or even look at one for that matter, so I am ordering, sight unseen, from a company stateside who will deliver it to Tropical Shipping in Miami and it will be put in our 20' container that we are shipping down and then my husband will install (he is an amazing remodeler - currently 40' up on scaffolding rebuilding all the exterior of the house - we are open to the elements - think no walls) but I have no clue - and I really mean no clue - what looks best.

What I am referring to is the Uchannel or clamp that I have been told by hubby I need. Now don't laugh but my vision of frameless is well frameless - beautiful glass without any visual "tracks" around it. Hubby asked me how I expected it to attach to the wall and curb and my answer was "I don't know I just want it to look pretty" so now I guess I have to have a "Uchannel" or a clamp, so for the experts out there what is best - what will give the visual of a floating glass door and panel (lol)

If it helps the opening is 48" and we are planning on a fixed panel 12" wide attached to the stud on the left side, and then the door 36" wide attached on the right side into the concrete wall (both sides have glass tile installed) so the door will open to the right at the area where it meets the fixed panel if that makes sense. We do have big issues on island with mold and mildew (we have no a/c only open windows) so I'm not sure what will visually give me the closest look to my vision and what is best for maintenance given island conditions - does the Uchannel mold ? - I have no idea what a Uchannel looks like and do you need it on the bottom and up the side of the wall ? and please tell me I don't need any railing/track across the top of the door and panel (asked you not to laugh) and again I can't even go to a store (or model home for that matter) to look at any showers but I am currently obsessed with watching every home remodeling/decorating show and freezing the picture on every shower I can see - unfortunately they are not very clear :(

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated and close up photos most welcomed.

Piaa

Comments (6)