SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

Apples to Oranges: KD's, framed/frameless, Shiloh/Diamond?

autumn.4
10 years ago

Hi all. I am back. We are moving forward with our build, in the quoting process now. 11x15 kitchen - lshaped.

edit: 9 x 15 kitchen, wishful thinking I suppose!

I quoted 2 different cabinets, hoping for an apples to apples comparison. The KD's overall are quite different (there went the apples to apples theory) and the cabinets are not really comparable either (much to my dismay). I am now confused at what I should be looking at in terms of what is most important and what doesn't really matter at all.

I gave dimensions/pdf of house plans and the layouts they presented are basically the same. They came in within $100 of each other.

Shiloh: Frameless, full overlay, plywood drawers, mdf boxes, full extension, soft close. White perimeters stained island. They have the 13" uppers which I think would be a nice perk. KD was responsive and offered suggestions/solutions but also listened to my concerns and desires and overall it felt more collaborative. $400 cabinet delivery fee (is this normal)? Island any stain we like - no upcharge. KD designed the island with shaker style corbels for support. Cost was not itemized for that so I am unsure of the impact it had on our quote.

Diamond: Framed, full overlay, plywood drawers, mdf boxes, full extension, soft close. This KD also is a custom cabinet builder (I think cabinet maker FIRST, KD second). First quote came back with nothing that I asked for (all drawers, no susan, he quoted 2 sets of drawers and all the rest not, spec'd a lazy susan), ugh. I was irritated to say the least as this quote came in much lower but obviously as it wasn't near the same comparison. But ya know dh saw the bottom line and was excited. No mention of a delivery fee but I suspect it's rolled into the price? Island color we preferred was actually a glaze and an upcharge. Island was designed with posts and ends at a whopping $965.

So - Shiloh KD I felt much better about but he is not local to where I am at - about a 45 minute drive to his office. Diamond KD is close and if I needed something I know he'd handle it quickly. He has a good reputation from others that have used him but seems to lack attention to detail (or could it be I am overly anal, are my expectations to high?). He took notes from our first conversation I assumed he referred to them? I had to email him and then call him to get a quote. After I stopped in he did quickly update the quote with all drawers and no susan. But if I hadn't have stopped in I don't know.

The local KD has a more economical line that we will be using for our bathrooms and the laundry room. That is a given at this point with our budget. I have no idea if it's wise to split up the kitchen from the other cabs and go through the other place or not.

Am I getting more in the frameless kitchen?

Does anyone know if you can mix drawer fronts with Shiloh without incurring added cost of buying another drawer front and swapping out? I know with Diamond I cannot. I'd have to buy all 5 piece and then the extra slab and switch the top drawer.

I know many people say the KD is most important but I feel like even though the first pass the local KD was way off mark I *think* he could get there.

How do you weigh it all out? This is not a high end kitchen (but to me it will be). It's about a $12k for cabinets alone in an 11x15 space. I am at the point where I will need to make some concessions to hit the $12k - I am trying to do that by making some changes in our master bath but not sure I can get there with that alone.

DH would like plywood boxes. From what I've read mdf should be okay. Shiloh KD says 99% of the frameless they sell are mdf.

Is plywood important enough that I should opt for that and then lose something else in my layout to compensate for the increased cost?

I have read decent reviews for both Diamond and Shiloh - anyone want to weigh in there?

Head spinning (hence the bit of rambling - sorry for that). Losing sight of what really matters in terms of quality and durability / best bang for my buck. I want to make this sourcing decision and move on...to more decision. Ha!

Thanks for listening and I will take any input I can get!

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 13:44

Comments (28)